Funny thumb!

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 24. Jan 2009, 09:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
Another problem!
My hands have been giving me probs for a good while. Lately, been getting numbness and tingling in them. Anyway, new thing has started. Getting a funny thing happening to my thumb on right hand. Kept me awake last night and was there this morning. Had the same feeling tonight too. My thumb is having an involuntary movement :? I'll be sitting, watching tv etc.. and my thumb starts moving???????? I can't control it. I know it must be something to do with my nerves, but what? Anyone else get this?
Magenta x

Comments

• colinb
    colinb Member Posts: 66
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi magenta...i think this may be due to the ulnar nerve being pressured by changes to the bone around the elbow or shoulder. worth checking with you doc...likely get sent for xrays to check. also explains the numbness and tingling too. Maggy has been exactly the same lately, but without the involuntary movement.
    Colin
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    I had a strange sensation when my thumb and forefinger began to make small circular motions on their own.(I began to think I was possessed but who would choose this body I ask you.) above makes sense to me.I have carpal tunnel and was having trouble with numbness in little finger and side of wrist and this is not carpal so tests showed that electrical impulses were weaker because of my ulnar nerve in my elbow. Doc said if it persisted they open you up and release the nerve but mine just faded away.
    By the time I saw her it was about 3 months from start to fade.
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Just another thought, do you use a mouse a lot
    or do you cup your chin whilst leaning on your elbow. I used to do both and the doc said this could aggravate the problem.
    I now try to remember and keep my left hand gripped between my knees when I am at the computer.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    It sounds like a nerve problem, either that or your THUMB is posessed :? I have carpel tunnel and have not noticed this, but then cpt is caused by nerve problems, so it might be something like that; get it checked, before your thumb decides to go walk-about :roll: :oops: :lol: Love sue xxx
  • magenta
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    Sue, you made me laugh! It would be funny if my thumb was posessed-what naughty things could it do? My feet are now doing it when I lie down :? Every week now I have something new-at least I've got an appt. soon-eh?
    Thanks again everyone,
    Magenta x
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Hello Magenta, Don't know if this may help (I have sore hands & thumbs too) but I have splints. Here the system is your GP ref's you to the hospital who fit them for you. I wear them at night & mine have a thumb grip. Also I have a mouse with a huge ball (if you see what I mean) :lol:
    Best
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Yes, magenta, its a good job you're going to the hospital, I am going on the same day. Maybe we'll make a start on getting some control on the unrully parts of our bodies, before getting arrested : :shock: :lol: Love Sue
  • magenta
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Yes, magenta, its a good job you're going to the hospital, I am going on the same day. Maybe we'll make a start on getting some control on the unrully parts of our bodies, before getting arrested : :shock: :lol: Love Sue

Hiya Sue,
    Thanks. I'm going to have to write all my problems down. I'm going in for a day ward appt. so may as well make the most of it :)

Mouseymousey, thanks for your reply. I have splints to wear during the day but my job means I can't really wear them. I've got an appt. soon too to see an Occupational therapist and I want night splints made. Ta much x