Just been told

Options
stephaniev
stephaniev Member Posts: 4
edited 27. Jan 2009, 18:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi ive just been told that the results of my knee xrays are that i have Osteo arthritis
the doctor didnt go into great detail as we were running out of time but said that my left knee is worse mentioned something about some bits in my knee????
ive been in pain for a couple of years now my bone click a lot and my knee joints lock and i sometimes have problems getting up when i sit with my legs up on the sofa
my hips and shoulders hurt sometimes and feel like they are going to dislocate should I be asking for xrays on them as well?
Im in shock at the moment because for a number of years ive asked doctors about my knees and they have always told me its because im fat!!
im only 42 I always thought that Osteo arthritis was something your granny had!! im also diabetic so as you can imagine this is all i need to have to cope with this as well
I dont know what to do or what to expect im scared angry and confused just one saving grace is at least i now know what it is
can anyone give me some advice and what i do now?

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am sorry to hear your latest news on top of being diabetic. I have had a knee replacement because of osteo arthritis. It does make sense that the more weight one carries, the more pressure is put on the knees but as you say, you now have pain in other parts of your body. I too have osteo in my hands and shoulder.

The "bits" around the knee that were mentioned were probably spurs. I had a couple of arthroscopies on my knee before the total knee replacement to clean and wash out the knee of these spurs. It did not really help me much but everyone is different.

Some medication may help you. Before my op I was daily taking the maximum painkillers prescribed by my gp plus inflammatory pills.

Welcome to the forum anyway. You will learn much on here and also see that the very young get afflicted with "arthur" - it is definitely not an "old age only" disease.

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Stephanie, so sorry to hear your news. I joined this forum this morning as I am in a similar situation and need some support. I am 32, I had a spinal illness as a child which was caused by MRSA after a kidney Op. I just had my second baby & found my back pain was severe & I couldn't even lift my baby. I was sent for an MRI in November & told I had 3 bulging discs, spinal stenosis & Osteoarthritis in my spine, they gave the impression the arthritis was slight. On Monday, seeing the Consultant under the assumption i was going for surgery to fix the problems, I was told I could not have it as I am now in the advanced stages of Osteoarthritis in my spine, I was upset at the time, but today I feel it has just hit me, I am very tearful & angry. At my appointment, the referral letter to the Consultant asked him to see this "short, fat person"! I am overweight but not fat but my condition according to the Surgeon was caused purely by my previous condition. My weight is only adding pressure to the joints. I have difficulty caring for my two young children & all they will do for me is manage my pain. I just feel today like my world has collapsed. I am usually a strong willed person and thought I'd cope well but this morning the pain had me in tears and my 3 year old was telling me "don't cry Mummy" which just makes me worse. I was hoping to hear other people's experiences and try and learn how to deal with this.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello and Welcome,

I have osteo arthritis, and it is not an old persons problem. The medics sometimes use the word 'wear and tear' or 'age related degeneration'. I hate this as it makes me feel old and seems to write of a very painful condition, but that is far from the case. The shock you feel is very understandable; its new to youl, and is hard to accept. It doesn't mean the end of active life, but you may have to change the way you do things. An occupational therpist can help. Also physio will give you a personal exercise plan for your problems and abilities, to help build up your muscles and regain some strength or keep what you have, but you will need a doctor to refer you.

Take care, give yourself time to get over the shock and anger. which you will be able channel into determination to fight this disease and don't worry about feeling down and confused, thats all part of the shock. Lots of love and good wishes. Glad you found this site; its very good! :) Do tell the medics of other aches and pains as it may help them treat you properly. :) Love Suexx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I am 40 and was diagnosed with OA in my hips last oct. I too am overweight, and found it upsetting to see and hear what my 1st consultant said about it. It is bad enough and a shock to find out you have OA, which I too thought was something you got in old age. (I know differently now after finding this site) I am watching what I eat now , but find exercise difficult. Take care, and I hope you find this site a good support as I have
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Thank you. You're right, it is bad enough finding out your diagnosis without you having to deal with that rubbish. I have put in a formal complaint to the Hospital, not out of bitterness but because I will not have this man remarking in that way about people. He described my body to students in November as "dwarvish, like a circus freak" I didn't complain then as didn't want to rock the boat, but I dread someone else reading the same thing and getting upset too.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi eckstardeluxe
    I have sent you a private message
  • stephaniev
    Options
    Hi eckstardeluxe

I havent got a message in my inbox??

morning ALL god I feel awful after reading some of your comments, How dare I complain and feel sorry for myself when some of you lovely people tell me of your condition which is far worse than my arching knees, yet from the sounds of things you just all get on with things and not let this rule your lives your all an inspiration
    Reading some of the posts on this great forum is helping knowing that it dosent mean the end is so promising and I thank you all for your support.
    one question codliver oil does it help?
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Hi Stephanie, it's ok the message was to me. You have every right to feel down, we're all in the same boat here. I'm just glad I found you all now so we can support each other.
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Hi Stephanie

Glad coming on this forum helped you feel better - it's a great place.

I've just had a total knee replacement of my left knee at the age of 63, my knee's been rubbish for years after an injury but I hung on as long as I could because artificial joints do wear out in time - though their 'life' is getting longer and longer as science improves.

About three years ago my right knee started complaining about the extra work I was asking it to do, I had an arthroscopy (what the surgeon called a 'clean and polish') and it definitely helped. Then I had an arthroscopy on my (bad) left knee, again I did feel an improvement and that bought me another 18 months before it finally became necessary to do the replacement.

Recovery from a TKR is hard work but I haven't regretted it and already my knee is functioning better than it has for years.

My advice - but obviously you must make your own decision on the basis of medical advice - would be to try an arthroscopy if it's offered, you've got little to lose and it may just buy you a bit more time. But if your doctors recommend a TKR, go for it - they don't recommend it lightly and if they do, then you probably do need it.

Re your query re cod liver oil, I take cod liver oil and glucosamine, I think they help but again it's something that you need to try out for yourself - and I think they say you can't expect to feel any significant result for 3 months.

Hope this is helpful, keep in touch and good luck.

Wendy

(PS I am overweight which doesn't help, I have tried and tried to lose weight without success, am now trying again to give my new knee its best chance.)
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    stephaniev wrote:
    Hi eckstardeluxe

I havent got a message in my inbox??

morning ALL .....................................
    one question codliver oil does it help?

Hi Stephaniev,

Some people believe cod liver oil works for them - it didn't do much for me - but there's no harm in giving it a try to see if it helps you. :D

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stephaniev
    Options
    Hi its me again
    sorry to keep asking question all the time but im still trying to find out about this condition
    lastnight I got cramp in my toes again its happened a few times now alway in my left foot some of my toes go stiff and pull out of shape and i get terrible pain and it can reduce me to tears once i start to breathe slowly and deepley and force my toes back it goes I always check my blood sugars to make sure there not high as that can cause cramp but there not
    what I want to know is, is it part of the condition or is it what a friend as suggested that im not drinking enough water
    should I tell my doctor about this or am i worrrying more than i need to

stephx
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    stephaniev wrote:
    Hi its me again
    sorry to keep asking question all the time but im still trying to find out about this condition
    lastnight I got cramp in my toes again its happened a few times now alway in my left foot some of my toes go stiff and pull out of shape and i get terrible pain and it can reduce me to tears once i start to breathe slowly and deepley and force my toes back it goes I always check my blood sugars to make sure there not high as that can cause cramp but there not
    what I want to know is, is it part of the condition or is it what a friend as suggested that im not drinking enough water
    should I tell my doctor about this or am i worrrying more than i need to

stephx

Hi Steph

I think you should check with your doctor, I vaguely remember cramp can be to do with not having enough salt in your diet - but then we're all told to cut down on salt, aren't we? But it's obviously unpleasant and it would be good to get some medical advice on it.

Take care

Wendy
  • annieb
    annieb Member Posts: 2
    Options
    hi i have just been told today that i have osteoarthritis, i have been having problems for a few years now, but only managed to get gp to listen, in many ways i afeel relieved that now i know what all this pain is, the swelling, the popping and clicking of my joints when i move, and i suppose in many ways im also very angry that it took so long and many hours of tears and feeling useless and helpless to get them to listen to me, the gp has said that he is sure that its osteo but wants me to have bloods done to rule out rheumatiod, so i havent had a final diagnosis yet, i guess my question is, where do i go from here, what do i ask my gp to do by way of tests, i ahve been reading the posts of others and see that most of you have had xrays done, is this helpful in a full diagnosis, on a final note i must say thanks to everyone, you truly are an inspiration, keep up the good work, sorry its a long post, but thanks for taking the time to read it,
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    annieb wrote:
    hi i have just been told today that i have osteoarthritis, i have been having problems for a few years now, but only managed to get gp to listen, in many ways i afeel relieved that now i know what all this pain is, the swelling, the popping and clicking of my joints when i move, and i suppose in many ways im also very angry that it took so long and many hours of tears and feeling useless and helpless to get them to listen to me, the gp has said that he is sure that its osteo but wants me to have bloods done to rule out rheumatiod, so i havent had a final diagnosis yet, i guess my question is, where do i go from here, what do i ask my gp to do by way of tests, i ahve been reading the posts of others and see that most of you have had xrays done, is this helpful in a full diagnosis, on a final note i must say thanks to everyone, you truly are an inspiration, keep up the good work, sorry its a long post, but thanks for taking the time to read it,

Hi Annieb,
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I completely understand how you're feeling. Your GP is doing the right thing about finding out if you have RA ( will check your RF in blood-apologies if you know this already). I had xrays done on jaw recently to see why I was in so much pain and I was diagnosed with OA of jaw. I also have sero-ve arthritis but xrays usually come back normal which is frustrating-I always think people will think I'm making it all up! After you get blood results you'll have a clearer picture of what you have and then your GP should refer you to a rhuematologist either way. Hope things work out for you and there's always someone here if you want a chat :wink:
    Magenta x
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Hi Annie, welcome to the site, you are in my thoughts, I know how hard it is. With me they sent me for xray first, I am in the Final stage of OA so I think they saw the damage on the xrays right away as they said I would get results in 2 weeks, only for my Dr to phone me an hour later. IThe next day I went for an MRI which confirmed the OA but also other problems such as pressure on the nerve. Fortunately, I have not had to fight to get seen as by the time I went to the Dr I had left it too late. The minute I mentioned my previous spinal abscess they sent me right to the Hospital, apparently their rare things to get. They will check your bloods too likely. My best advice is ask, ask ask! I badgered them with questions and got all the answers, don't be frightened, you have the right to know as much as possible. Good luck, Alex
  • annieb
    annieb Member Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks magenta, i think im still realing from all the years ive been in pain and was told to keep taking the painkillers that it was just wear and tear, i decided 2 yrs ago to go to college and get my carers qualifaication as i have always been a carer of sorts anyway just didnt have a piece of paper to say i was, now that i am going on to hnc and on to a placement i have this to deal with, i do have a good support group in my family, i guess thats a good thing, i nursed my mother untill her passing 14 yrs ago(im 44) she had RA but by the time she was diagnosed it was too late and she was crippled with it, i have a son with tourette syndrome and severe ocd who really needs me, thats why im so angry as i cant afford to be down with these damn flareups, im sorry im ranting, thanks again for your reply, and for taking the time to read my ranting.
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Stephanie, so sorry to hear your news. I joined this forum this morning as I am in a similar situation and need some support. I am 32, I had a spinal illness as a child which was caused by MRSA after a kidney Op. I just had my second baby & found my back pain was severe & I couldn't even lift my baby. I was sent for an MRI in November & told I had 3 bulging discs, spinal stenosis & Osteoarthritis in my spine, they gave the impression the arthritis was slight. On Monday, seeing the Consultant under the assumption i was going for surgery to fix the problems, I was told I could not have it as I am now in the advanced stages of Osteoarthritis in my spine, I was upset at the time, but today I feel it has just hit me, I am very tearful & angry. At my appointment, the referral letter to the Consultant asked him to see this "short, fat person"! I am overweight but not fat but my condition according to the Surgeon was caused purely by my previous condition. My weight is only adding pressure to the joints. I have difficulty caring for my two young children & all they will do for me is manage my pain. I just feel today like my world has collapsed. I am usually a strong willed person and thought I'd cope well but this morning the pain had me in tears and my 3 year old was telling me "don't cry Mummy" which just makes me worse. I was hoping to hear other people's experiences and try and learn how to deal with this.

Hi,
    Just wanted to say hello to you. I have 2 small children too and I know how hard it is. I too am normally strong willed but this arthritis can reduce me to tears in a flash. I don't know how I deal with it all, I just do and you will too. I'm not having a good time of it just now but my family have been fantastic. If you have a good network of friends and have a supportive family then now's the time to call on them-even if it's just to bring you some messages in.
    My 'nearly 3yr old' today came up to me when I was lying on the couch and stroked my hair and told me 'it'll be alright mummy' and this helped me get up and get on with things. I hoped to tell you more but I would be up all night warbling :lol: If you want, you can pm me and I'll be happy to talk away about things. Take care,
    Magenta xx
  • magenta
    Options
    annieb wrote:
    thanks magenta, i think im still realing from all the years ive been in pain and was told to keep taking the painkillers that it was just wear and tear, i decided 2 yrs ago to go to college and get my carers qualifaication as i have always been a carer of sorts anyway just didnt have a piece of paper to say i was, now that i am going on to hnc and on to a placement i have this to deal with, i do have a good support group in my family, i guess thats a good thing, i nursed my mother untill her passing 14 yrs ago(im 44) she had RA but by the time she was diagnosed it was too late and she was crippled with it, i have a son with tourette syndrome and severe ocd who really needs me, thats why im so angry as i cant afford to be down with these damn flareups, im sorry im ranting, thanks again for your reply, and for taking the time to read my ranting.

Hi again,
    I'm in the middle of a flare-I think! I keep saying this cos I don't know if it's just new symptoms in areas where the arthritis is spreading to? My wee boy is really bad with a cold, just got him back down to sleep but I know he'll be up all night. I'm off my work too and can't really drive for long distances and I too can be doing without this :x I hate it sometimes for stopping me living a normal life-from doing things that 'normal' people do day to day without thinking.
    By the way, you're not ranting :wink:
    Magenta x