are stress and flare ups connected perhaps?

Options
gennyf47
gennyf47 Member Posts: 30
edited 24. Jan 2009, 08:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone

I just found out this week all my aches are arthritis, quite a shock as I'm 47 and was not expecting this for another 20 years or so. Diagnosis still a bit vague, OA with possibly RA sprinkled in here and there. Feet, lower back, shoulder, neck, hands, wrists, elbows.

Does anyone have experience of flare ups commencing soon after large dose of emotional stress? Think my back is a result of old teenage injury, but looking back I think my shoulder started when my dad was dying of cancer. Hands wrists elbows and feet all went haywire just after Xmas just gone, when I discovered swine ex been cheating on me for several years.

Started my diet and stretching exercises today, don't know which hurts the most!

Comments

• scottie
    scottie Member Posts: 16
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    gennyf47 wrote:
    Hello everyone

I just found out this week all my aches are arthritis, quite a shock as I'm 47 and was not expecting this for another 20 years or so. Diagnosis still a bit vague, OA with possibly RA sprinkled in here and there. Feet, lower back, shoulder, neck, hands, wrists, elbows.

Does anyone have experience of flare ups commencing soon after large dose of emotional stress? Think my back is a result of old teenage injury, but looking back I think my shoulder started when my dad was dying of cancer. Hands wrists elbows and feet all went haywire just after Xmas just gone, when I discovered swine ex been cheating on me for several years.

Started my diet and stretching exercises today, don't know which hurts the most!

Hi Genny, So sorry to hear that you have such a hard time. I'm in the the same boat as you RA and OA but no firm diagnosis. also spanning 20 yrs and definetly flares following emotional stress. It really takes its toll on some people. wish i could just let it all out but alas it takes its toll on my body!! This site is great fot having a good moan and also to help perk you up> Good luck wi the the diet and stretching. Liz X
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    A link between flare-ups of RA and stress has been proven. I'd find you the link but I'm too tired right now, sorry. If you're interested it's probably on the ARC website. I flare when I'm stressed, or just after the stressful period is over. Sometimes I don't flare, I just crash with extreme fatigue.
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi, Yes I wonder if stress has something to do with it too. The last couple of years have been very stressful as my husband has been quite poorly, and he now needs a transplant.

I have tried to support him both physically and emotionally and keep his spirits up, trying not to reveal how worried I have been because then he'd worry more too :(
    Anyway, then I had a terrible do with my back which now I think was the onset of all this.... I gotta stay positive for myself now :!:

And by golly I intend to do just that :)
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Hello My two great aunts and RA so thats my genetic link theres stared in their sixtys they died when i was ten when i was thirty four my mom had and died of cancer. I was six months pregnant then, i had son three months later. He was born day after what would have been her sixty fifth bithday. Then when my son was six months old the RA symtoms started. I was fobbed off when RA test was zero negative given no treatment not even a painkiller. I saw 4 of the doctors at my practice the 5th belived me and sent me to a rhoumaolagist and she started me off with my medication this was eight months later after the symtoms appeared first to me. Then . not being belived also added stress. you know if you are ill dont you and my husbend only he knew and witnessed the change in me we kept it to our selves until i finally got dianosed. and yes stress is linked to RA stress also triggers off the flare up from joanne price
    Joanne
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Jenny with a G Stress is not good for anyone sick or not however it will not help uncle Arthur. Stress some is hard to cope with when your well and when your sick or down its harder to cope with. Dont underestimate Arthur he will take advantage of every weakness you
    have. I think what it is is that when your boddy is weak from not being well or your suffering with stress it becomes harder for you to cope and your boddy is so busy trying to sort out the stress or perhaps the flu or a cold your atrthritis plays up and you get a flair,
    should have been a doctor. I think thats whats gone wrong with me, I had the flu, with that and the arthritis i got fed up, then i got an infection in my leg. So with the Arthur the flue and the leg infection i took to bed for a couple of days and got a chest infection after three weeks of antibiotics still got the chest infection Arthur and bit of a cold. Now i'm depressed and in the middle of probably the worse flair i ever had. I need to be positive sort out my head get shut of the infection and i'll be ok. Its great saying it its just putting it into action. I dont offten get depressed "do I". but i know it will be ok soon. you just take care and stay away from strees if you can help it.
    Colin
  • gennyf47
    Options
    scottie wrote:
    gennyf47 wrote:
    Hello everyone

Hi Genny, So sorry to hear that you have such a hard time. I'm in the the same boat as you RA and OA but no firm diagnosis. also spanning 20 yrs and definetly flares following emotional stress. It really takes its toll on some people. wish i could just let it all out but alas it takes its toll on my body!! This site is great fot having a good moan and also to help perk you up> Good luck wi the the diet and stretching. Liz X

Thank you Scottie
    Nice to know I'm not going nuts. Hindsight gives you a perfect view, I can see I've had this for several years now.
    Genny.
  • gennyf47
    Options
    scattered wrote:
    A link between flare-ups of RA and stress has been proven. I'd find you the link but I'm too tired right now, sorry. If you're interested it's probably on the ARC website. I flare when I'm stressed, or just after the stressful period is over. Sometimes I don't flare, I just crash with extreme fatigue.

Thanks for the info, sorry you are so tired. I had no idea arthritis could cause such fatigue, thought I was getting flu, what with the aches and the extreme fatigue. Will trawl the arc site as recommended.
    Genny
  • gennyf47
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Hi, Yes I wonder if stress has something to do with it too. The last couple of years have been very stressful as my husband has been quite poorly, and he now needs a transplant.

I have tried to support him both physically and emotionally and keep his spirits up, trying not to reveal how worried I have been because then he'd worry more too :(
    Anyway, then I had a terrible do with my back which now I think was the onset of all this.... I gotta stay positive for myself now :!:

And by golly I intend to do just that :)

Yes I try to stay positive no matter what, even though it's quite hard at times. Going back to my GP this week to get him to clarify what's going on. I dont think theyre all that interested unless it's a really juicy case. I would just like to know all the details for myself, I dont see what's wrong with that.
    Managed to sneak a 30 second consultation with rheumatologist where I work, but she seemed a bit vague too and said go back to my GP. Doctors are a strange breed arent they. On their own planet to the rest of us.
    Genny
  • gennyf47
    Options
    Hello My two great aunts and RA so thats my genetic link theres stared in their sixtys they died when i was ten when i was thirty four my mom had and died of cancer. I was six months pregnant then, i had son three months later. He was born day after what would have been her sixty fifth bithday. Then when my son was six months old the RA symtoms started. I was fobbed off when RA test was zero negative given no treatment not even a painkiller. I saw 4 of the doctors at my practice the 5th belived me and sent me to a rhoumaolagist and she started me off with my medication this was eight months later after the symtoms appeared first to me. Then . not being belived also added stress. you know if you are ill dont you and my husbend only he knew and witnessed the change in me we kept it to our selves until i finally got dianosed. and yes stress is linked to RA stress also triggers off the flare up from joanne price

Thanks Joanne
    I must admit I do feel a bit of a fraud, so many people on this site are so much worse off than me, can't believe how they cope with it all.
    Feet are quite a pain, I can try to ignore the rest but I have to walk so get reminded all the time that theyre hurting. Oh well good excuse to go ( comfy ) shoe shopping! No more 5 inch killer heels for me.....
    Genny
  • gennyf47
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    Hi Jenny with a G Stress is not good for anyone sick or not however it will not help uncle Arthur. Stress some is hard to cope with when your well and when your sick or down its harder to cope with. Dont underestimate Arthur he will take advantage of every weakness you
    have. I think what it is is that when your boddy is weak from not being well or your suffering with stress it becomes harder for you to cope and your boddy is so busy trying to sort out the stress or perhaps the flu or a cold your atrthritis plays up and you get a flair,
    should have been a doctor. I think thats whats gone wrong with me, I had the flu, with that and the arthritis i got fed up, then i got an infection in my leg. So with the Arthur the flue and the leg infection i took to bed for a couple of days and got a chest infection after three weeks of antibiotics still got the chest infection Arthur and bit of a cold. Now i'm depressed and in the middle of probably the worse flair i ever had. I need to be positive sort out my head get shut of the infection and i'll be ok. Its great saying it its just putting it into action. I dont offten get depressed "do I". but i know it will be ok soon. you just take care and stay away from strees if you can help it.
    Colin

Hi Colin with a C
    Thanks for your reply, hope you feel better soon. It's a horrid time of year too, grey and cold, which doesnt exactly make us cheerful. Think I may see a counsellor at my work, I thought I was coping well with the fallout of the breakup ( it was a relief to be rid ) but I'm forever going into a rant about it.
    That's all stress isnt it. Plus shock of arthritis diagnosis. I meditate which is nice and soothing but not sleeping well.
    Nice to chat to others online.
    Genny
  • fishyface
    fishyface Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Stess and flare ups are definately cnnected. It is in writing somewhere. I know from my experiences definately connected. Knocks you down quickly physically when emotional things occuring. right vicious circle this eh.
  • dollydaydream
    dollydaydream Member Posts: 21
    Options
    fishyface wrote:
    Stess and flare ups are definately cnnected. It is in writing somewhere. I know from my experiences definately connected. Knocks you down quickly physically when emotional things occuring. right vicious circle this eh.

Hi all
    Yes I agree with you all on this. Stress can be a major player in all that we are suffering. I also have the rhumy one that does not show up on blood tests. My consultant explained that often blood tests come back normal & its often ages before a proper diagnoses can be made. I agree you feel such a fraud with constant pain thats unidentified. I cried when I found out I had fybromyalgia as well because the pain then had a reall cause . Chin up we here all know how we feel. love Dollydaydream :wink: