Does anybody have a limp

Options
bevbodl
bevbodl Member Posts: 8
edited 26. Jan 2009, 16:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Because of arthritis in my ankles and my knees, I have found that I just walk funny, so everytime im out people luk directly at my feet, which is so annoying. Tried physio to help teach me hpw to walk proper bt kinda went back into the same thing. I would love to knw if anybdy has a limp aswell

Comments

• kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    edited 24. Jan 2009, 15:45
    Options
    It might be easier and more rewarding to ask if anyone here doesn't have a limp?? :D:D

I'm Kaz and I limp!

I have done for at least 4 or 5 years that I can think of. Don't even think about it now, except when asked directly about it.

Life goes on, limp and all. :wink:

Kaz
  • gennyf47
    gennyf47 Member Posts: 30
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    bevbodl wrote:
    Because of arthritis in my ankles and my knees, I have found that I just walk funny, so everytime im out people luk directly at my feet, which is so annoying. Tried physio to help teach me hpw to walk proper bt kinda went back into the same thing. I would love to knw if anybdy has a limp aswell

Not sure if it's a limp I've got or I'm doing a good impression of a Thunderbirds puppet. It only started in the past couple of weeks, first in the left foot, today it started in the right. Hey ho.
    Going shopping tomorrow for comfy ungrannyish shoes, if there is such a thing.
    Feel like weeping when I look at my beloved shoe collection.
    Hoping that if I lose some weight we may be reunited again one day.......
  • sueandted
    sueandted Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Yep I walk with a limp if barefoot , my leg is shorter than the other so I have a special insole inside my shoe to even my legs up :)
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I, too, limp and depending on the sort of day I'm having my limp gets either worse or isn't as noticeable. What I don't understand is why I now walk so slowly - I suppose it's because my joints don't works as well together but not sure. :? Even when I think I'm walking fast old dears of 102 still charge past me :shock: :wink:

Is anyone else now walking more slowly than they used to and any ideas as to why :?: :?

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    I, too, limp and depending on the sort of day I'm having my limp gets either worse or isn't as noticeable. What I don't understand is why I now walk so slowly - I suppose it's because my joints don't works as well together but not sure. :? Even when I think I'm walking fast old dears of 102 still charge past me :shock: :wink:

Is anyone else now walking more slowly than they used to and any ideas as to why :?: :?

Hi legs
    yep, I'm a limper too - bad days i'm like Igor, better days I like to think I am more like an old colonel with gout. And that's with the trusty stick. Re walking faster - I got slower and slower and the other half had to keep stopping so I could catch up. Since going to a gym and doing a bit of exercise/losing a little bit of weight I can mostly keep up with him now, except up hills. I asked if he was walking slower, and he said he couldn't actually walk any slower...
    But whether this will last I don't know.
    Watch out for those super-charged centenarians!
    Cheers
    JeanP :roll:
  • gennyf47
    gennyf47 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:

Yep I'm walking even slower than I used to. My daughter yells at me on the way to the bus stop in the mornings "I'd like to actually catch this bus mum" and I think I'm going like the clappers. But I'm not, I'm so slow I'm nearly going backwards.
    In my case I'm fairly certain it's cos my feet are killing me. They feel like a tree has been dropped on the arch and now it's spread to my toes.
    I can hide all the other aches and ignore them but not the feet.

Genny
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi,
    I limp too! I really notice it now cos other people have started commenting on it. Genny, I've not heard that saying 'like the clappers' for ages! I have the exact same feeling in my feet :? I also get sharp pains in my heels and on the inside of my sole of foot. My ankles are bothering me too-do yours?
    Magenta x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    hi,iv had a limp right foot for 25yrs,so had got so used to it didnt seem to notice it. since being dx with arthr i now shuffle along.dont pick my feet up as i walk,its too painful.
    i too trail along behind my o/h & he has to wait for me to catch up.
    because i cant have a walking aid i tend to get shoved out the way by people,that cant see why im so slow,& seem to be impatient with me. it is really annoying,then the 100 plus's can zoom past me with or without a stick :oops: oh well,the joys of arthr..debs
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Guys!
    Another limper here too!!!
    Yes feet and ankles hurt Magenta :(
    If I walk dead slow I can :roll: almost :roll: walk 'normally' :(
    Not so worry I'm still gorgeous - as are we all!!! SO THERE!!!
    Toni x
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm a snail as well. :roll:

My usual place is about 10-15 paces behind O/H and kids and they can't understand why I'm so slow. Some of it is because I get short of breath too and if it boils down to speed vs distance, I take distance everytime! :D

It had improved greatly after ankle and knee surgery in October and I was nearly back on par with them before Christmas, but 4 weeks of enbrel and I'm back behind again. :( Was told to stop it yesterday though so hopefully might get some pace back again soon. :D

Maybe I could attempt the front crawl at the Olympics in 2012, but on the athletics track and not the pool! :D:D

Kaz
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Im another limper !
    Have limped for almost 14 years now but it is becoming more people are staring to notice ... even the kids i teach feel the need to comment !

It's quite embarassing and at the moment walk much slower than my parents who are in their 50's !
    Hope this all changes with a new hip !
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi there,
    Wonkylegs calling! (does that answer your question? :wink: )

Seriously, that's how I got my name. Kazpaz has it right - I can either do speed OR distance, but certainly not both!! :lol::lol:

My hubby is another poor OH in the 'do I really have to walk slower?' club! - even the dog now has two speeds depending on who walks her :lol::lol::lol:

It does depend on the weather, the type of stuff I'm walking on, and how stiff I feel , but there is certainly a limp a lot of the time!
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Count me in for the limpers olympics!!! I do 2 speeds slow and stop!!

Perhaps Kazpaz and me could join up for the 3 legged race 'cos we certainly haven't got a decent pair of legs between us!!!!
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    oh yes i can relate to all this got one speed now dead slow or stop i class my walk as a hobble rather than a limp but it could be a limp either way its uncomfortable , if we walk the dogs i take the old boy ,as he like me is not a speed freak , some days i think to my self those snails are moving quick to day ,, xxx hugs may :lol::lol::lol: at the miute all my legs are fit for is to stop my ar-e from dragging along the floor ,, :lol::lol:
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Yes I limp as well and when I'm walking with my husband, he always gets away from me :!: (not sure if its the limp or the clothes shops thats the problem there :roll: ). Love Sue
  • bevbodl
    Options
    hey im glad to knw im nt da only one, its v.frustrating, bt from reading ur replies, its beta just to get on wit life, dere are far mre important things :lol:
  • bevbodl
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hi,
    I limp too! I really notice it now cos other people have started commenting on it. Genny, I've not heard that saying 'like the clappers' for ages! I have the exact same feeling in my feet :? I also get sharp pains in my heels and on the inside of my sole of foot. My ankles are bothering me too-do yours?
    Magenta x

Yea i get pains all over my feet, some feel very weird, words cant describe lol my ankles are really clunky, i would love me some slimmer ones lol
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi all
    I’m in the club to, its one of my most embarrassing things I can cope with most things but hate bumping into people I know. I know I should be used to by now but its just one of those things. I can do 75 yards in about 15 mins its not so much of a limp as a puppet type walk
    I seem to flail my arms about a little when im taking a step. Funny when its really bad and so painful I sing as I go, it sort of takes the edge off it.
    But as you say its all in a day with uncle Arthur. Take care all
    Colin
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    What can I say? :roll:

Count me in! :lol:

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    I don't know that I would call mine a limp most of the time. First thing in the morning because of the feet I look like a weeble with a rolling kind of gait. By the time these feel a little better I look like Una Stubbs' character in Worzel Gummidge.Yesterday I twanged my back and ended up moving like Groucho Marx.
    The worst time is when both hips and maybe my knees go, which one to lean on the most.? Ahhh decisions, decisions. :D
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Yep, but find mine comes and goes in terms of severity.
  • linmad
    linmad Member Posts: 18
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:

hi legs, perhaps its a "linda " thing but its as if your talking for me, got the limp (could be worse i'm sure ) but the lack of speed is something else, and i find its quite worrying when out with the grandchildren, you know how kids like to go in front of you on their scooters /bikes, well i have this terrible fear that if they go too far ahead somebody could pull up in a van and snatch them and i wouldn't get to them in time -- also anywhere near water, which is usually with their mum i always say "you follow little-un i'll stay with the oldest "
    wonder if it's something to do with the simple fact that you know its gonna hurt ?
    best wishes lindylou :):):)