Positive Blood Result

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 26. Jan 2009, 15:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
My gp told me one of my results was positive so he was referring me to a rheumy. I didn't ask any questions at the time, but after looking on here I assume he meant positive as showing some inflammation in my joints?
Do folk with OA have positive blood results too? Or is it more an indication of RA?

Thanks for any info :)

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As I understand it oa gives a negative blood test and ra positive. I'm not a medic, so I may have got this wrong, but I have oa and a negative blood test result. They do keep re-doing the b/test as sometimes this changes as, I think, ra sometimes can give a negative blood test. Sorry, I hope this makes some kind of sense to you :oops: and everything goes well with the rhummy visit. Love Sue xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    My knee surgeon requested me to be tested for RA. My blood test came back postive and I had always been told I had OA. On referral to a rheumy, he said that I did not have the classic symptoms for RA although both hands and knees are affected.

It can be rather confusing.....

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • milmandy
    milmandy Member Posts: 20
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    My knee surgeon requested me to be tested for RA. My blood test came back postive and I had always been told I had OA. On referral to a rheumy, he said that I did not have the classic symptoms for RA although both hands and knees are affected.

It can be rather confusing.....

Elna
    Rheumatoid factor can be said to be a positive blood result but doesn't always mean you have RA. Or it could be positive in that inflammation is showing up in bllod results raised ESR for example.OA doesn't show anything in blood results.It is ,as elnafinn ,says rather confusing and not always conclusive. Still someone is taking notice so that's GOOD. Sorry though that it is needed. Good luck.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Jackie, I have sent you a PM and thank you so much for your kind words. Well at least your on the right road now and will soon have some positive treatment. I know Its awful when you don’t know and your waiting in anticipation hoping for the result you want. It seems to take forever to get to the Rheumy. Hope your appointment comes through soon let us know if it does. Are you in much pain at the moment, I guess your stressed out again now wondering what type of arthritis you have, I’m not to up on blood results and don’t like trawling the net for stuff as I can scare myself to. Take care and keep your chin up.
    Colin
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi, Yes its worrying now wondering exactly what I'm going to get diagnosed with. But i am trying to stay positive, even though every day different parts of me seem swollen and painful.

I just hope I get a good rheumy :)
  • averyniceman
    averyniceman Member Posts: 75
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    My gp told me one of my results was positive so he was referring me to a rheumy. I didn't ask any questions at the time, but after looking on here I assume he meant positive as showing some inflammation in my joints?
    Do folk with OA have positive blood results too? Or is it more an indication of RA?

Thanks for any info :)

My rheumatologist has told me that over 30 per cent of adults have high RF -- it doesn't follow that they will have RA.

RF + the symptoms of RA = RA.