2nd opinon

Options
mouseymousey
mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
edited 26. Jan 2009, 03:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello - Just wondering if anyone has ever asked for a second opinion, and if so how did you get on? My GP is really nice, its just that I have had so many diagnosis over the years. (I have OA & RA ).

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mouseymousey,
    I've asked for about 4 opinions. I'm currently attending a new rhuemy-about the fifth so far! This one seems to know what he's talking about and I'm due to attend a day ward appt. on 29th Jan. On first meeting he immediately agreed there was something going on and he took loads of bloods, 3 different xrays and he's wanting to rule out ankylosing spondolitis too! He's also said, maybe get a carpal tunnel test, nerve ablation :? and if I can't get my pain under control then he'll refer me to a pain clinic. I am still in system to see another rhuemy in Feb but will cancel that-the first appt (6mths ago) was terrible-they basically listened to my story about me having sero-ve arthur and they just said 'yeah, that's probably what it is-keep taking co-dydramol and amytriptilline' :shock:

So, cutting a long story short-get a second opinion and keep going until you're happy that you're getting the proper treatment and care that you deserve :wink: Hope things are ok with you at the moment.

Magenta x
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    I asked for one when my surgeon said I needed a knee replacement as I had RA and that was the only way forward, I went back to see my GP and got another appointment and the new surgeon decided to do an arthroscopy, he told me that I was too young and a knee replacement was not needed, just my knee is highly inflamed, so glad I asked. He injected it while i was asleep and it has improved, not to as much as I would have liked but I can feel it getting better.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi, yes I did. My symptoms started to get severe last year. I went to my Dr and he focused on my sciatica, not my back pain. He just wasn't listening to me, he just said it was because of my weight! I had to go to Out of hours for injections the pain was so bad. Next time I asked to see a different Dr. She went through all my medical history and seemed shocked the previous Dr had not picked up on the fact I had Osteomyelitis and a spinal abscess as a child, even though i had told him. She immediately sent me for an Xray, they said I'd get the results in 2 weeks. An hour after getting home, my Dr phoned me and asked me to come to the Surgery as soon as possible. She then sent me to A&E and they sent me for an MRI. It was found I had osteoarthritis in my spine & 3 bulging discs and spinal stenosis. I'm so glad I asked for someone else, how long would I have waited with the previous Dr? If you feel you are not being taken seriously then definitely ask for another opinion.