Vitamin supplements and MTX

mylo
mylo Member Posts: 53
Hi I'm wondering if there are any vitamins or food supplements that I can take to boost my immune system whilst on MTX?

Many thanks, Jane

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jane
    Your doctors will prescribe an iron supplement if your blood tests show that you are anaemic and you can ask them if a basic multi vitamin supplement would be useful but you shouldn't need this if you are eating a good balanced diet.
    Always ask advice from your doctors before taking any supplement as some of them can alter the effects of medications and echinacea is specifically contra-indicated when you are taking methotrexate.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    just seen the bit about not taking echinacea with Methotrexate :shock:

does this include the herbal teas which include echinacea? never thought to check if any of those were bad :roll: just my luck to have been drinking them!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Our textbook says about echinacea 'Do not take with corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive drugs. Should not be taken by those with autoimmune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis.' (Sorry, the book doesn't say why and I don't know. Unless any of you out there ............? )
    It also says 'Do not take with drugs like Methotrexate that affect the liver. It may contribute to liver damage.'

There may not be much echinacea in the herbal teas but is it worth it?

Best wishes
    Val
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    thanks for checking! I'm seeing the pharmacist tomorrow anyway so will ask them for their advice & check if there are any others to avoid!

I'll let you know!