Worried

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 26. Jan 2009, 13:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had RA and Fibro for 11 years, last September I started anti-tnf wonderdrug but it gave me a mini stroke so couldn't have that anymore. Last July I stopped the only drug (Leflunomide) that ever did anything for me as its effectiveness had diminished. Now I'm not taking any drugs apart from this 'washout' stuff to get rid of any Leflunomide left in my system, which is disgusting!!! But on the positive side its only for 11 days.
I've been signed off since Christmas as I had a flare up in my shoulders and couldn't even dress myself. I keep getting worse and worse and there isn't anything to stop it. The one remaining drug I haven't yet tried is brand new and my partner and I want to try for a baby in the summer so I can't take it.
I'm also getting married in 6wks and I'm very excited but I'm so worried about missing work, trying to decide if I should not work, worried about not coping on my honeymoon and not being able to enjoy the day because I'll be in pain and especially worried about putting all this pressure on my wonderful OH.

My consultants suggestion is to have a baby as RA will go into remission and i'll feel wonderful (thats what he said about anti-TNF and look what happened there!).
Sorry if my cup is half empty today.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Just to say how sorry I am you feel so ill. All the stress and worry can't be helpin either. I don't have RA, so can't offer any advise, but other people hear do and they will be able to answer some of your questions, I'm sure. Hope you have a fantastic wedding :lol: and enjoy it all :!: Lots of love and very best wishes for the future. Sue xxx
  • fishyface
    fishyface Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hey you've got loads going on all terribly confusing.

You are getting married in six weeks - fantastic - do everything you can to enjoy the build up, the day, the honeymoon.

Get cracking and practicing at the baby thing. Went into remission for me - until after but thats ages away for you.

Get signed off again. Listen to your body.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Jenzie,

Have you thought about asking your Rheumy or GP for a steroid injection to help you through your wedding day and your honeymoon? You could even ask for some stronger painkillers if for some reason a steroid injection isn't an option.

What I do if I have a 'big' day or a holiday coming up is start taking paracetmol on a regular basis (2 tablets every 6 hours) to build it up in my system about three days before the holiday and try to take control of the arthritis. Get plenty of rest before your wedding day, because it'll be very tiring and try to keep as stress free as possible. If you're popping a few extra pills and making yourself rest you're doing all you can not to let arthur ruin your day. :roll:

...........and I will add, that it's okay for your consultant to say the baby will possibly push the arthritis into remission but it's the pregnancy and hormones that do that. Once your baby's born the chances are that the arthritis will come back - sorry don't want to burst your bubble :shock: . The good thing though is that once the baby's here you will be able to start your meds again and find one that suits you this time.

Please let us know how your wedding day and honeymoon go but not in too much detail :oops: :oops: :wink: wishing you a wonderful, wonderful time. Enjoy :D

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys. I've spent the day pondering what to do and think I have decided (making the decision always makes me feel better!). I think I'm going to put work on the back burner for a while and get myself sorted for the wedding.

I'm seeing a consultant next week so I'm going to ask for a course of steroids (the injections make me put on so much weight I'm worried about fitting into the dress!!) and I think the paracetamol idea is great.

Once I've lain in the sunshine for a couple of weeks I'm going to reassess my options and go from there. In the mean time I'm going to spend time in the steam room of the local leisure centre and see if that helps (I'll have lovely clear sinuses anyroad!).

I'll keep you posted.....