Rheumy appt

noeltone
noeltone Member Posts: 878
edited 29. Jan 2009, 15:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have an apptmnt today and I find it very difficult to hear what they say as i am deaf in one ear even with my aid sometimes and they do tend to mumble and look down all the time at their notes and it is important for good comunication as i am discussing medication and x rays etc and such vital is these apptmnyts with one every six months or whatever i take a list and he sometimes says i dont to lists i try to write things down but he goes so quick he veven ignores my badge plus it is 4.15 if i go in on time i know i will be half a sleep and writhing in uncomfortable pain any one has these probs and any advice save from him shouting thorugh a loud microphone at me

Comments

• jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Chrisov, I can't help with the communication problem, short of asking him/her to speak louder, but I just wanted to wish you good luck with your appt, and hope all goes well love Jaspercatxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Right at the beginning of the appointment you need ask him to look at you when he's talking because of your hearing loss and if he looks down or mumbles or talks too fast, stop him, and ask him to repeat what he's said.

Failing that you need to shoot him and then look for another Consultant as he sounds like a pompous pr**k and obviously in too much of rush to treat with care and respect the people who keep him in a job :shock:

Pity I can't go with you I'd soon sort him out :wink:

Hope it goes better than you expect it to :)

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Chrisov
    Glad you have your apt at least :!:
    I agree with Linda ask him to look at you at the begginning and remind him about your hearing loss.
    The apt at 4.30 sounds awful, but at least he will see you at your worst and hopefully DO something to help!
    I hope you have someone with you?
    I wish you all the luck and hope to hear that you got on well tomorrow or later today if you're up to it
    Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Yes, I agree with getting him to look at you, as we all lip read, whether we know it or not :!: I used to work at a hospital hearing aid clinic and we always knew when a patient ringing up, as you'd answer the phoen and say "Hearing Aid clinic" and someone would shout back "WhAT?" :) . Good luck for this afternoon. Love Suexx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    noeltone wrote:
    I have an apptmnt today and I find it very difficult to hear what they say as i am deaf in one ear even with my aid sometimes and they do tend to mumble and look down all the time at their notes and it is important for good comunication as i am discussing medication and x rays etc and such vital is these apptmnyts with one every six months or whatever i take a list and he sometimes says i dont to lists i try to write things down but he goes so quick he veven ignores my badge plus it is 4.15 if i go in on time i know i will be half a sleep and writhing in uncomfortable pain any one has these probs and any advice save from him shouting thorugh a loud microphone at me

Hi I'm with Legs on this one Tell the rheumy as soon as you go in.
    Have you thought of taking another person with you.
    Colin
  • noeltone
    Hi guys my apptmnt was not so bad but it did start quite bad with my consutalnt with his head down looking at notes ad mumbling but then my friend told the consultant to speak slow and clear and direct because of my hearing but at least he does not have a bushy moustaches so she did not tell him to give it a trim. Then my friend kept backstage and I went thru my list and then I don’t forget and I went thru it he was running late so I guess his stomach was rumbling cos he wanted his tea well that was not my fault and I had a full 16 minutes.
    My mtx medication is working well which is good and blast any side effects for the time being and my RA bloods test levels etc have improved also my THR is Ok and settled in well Re. C Spondy neck and spine I am to have an up to date MRI as it was last done in 2oo1 as there might be some changes in the OA side as that area is very curtailed in movement and painful and poss nipping spine. It is a pity I have to be assertive as I lost my rag before getting my THR with this same consultant who says he’s here to help me and is sticking to my plan I did not know there was one??? which is nice I hate aggro but I fear any plan is only down to me being assertive which I an not naturally so it comes hard to push forward for things but it seems If I am to try and get and keep on top of this arthurititis I have to so my moral of the day is speak up for yourself and don’t be phobbed off.
    Interestingly he has prescribed a new tablet that he says might touch and improve the spondy side of things it is called gabapentin and is to treat post-herpetic neuralgia as well as being an anti convulsant which is ironic and it is to help with long term pain caused by damage to the nerves as a result of shingles or OA etc.
    Thanks to everyone for their ideas on dealing with apptmnt although the gun was not needed he he
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Chrisov, glad things went ok for you and that you managed to hear him ok, sounds like things are going well for you love Jaspercatxx
  • noeltone
    Hi jaspercat yes it went reasonably well but still waiting for that miracle cure as we all are and he was quite human which was nice and I did not feel like a number but felt as though i had some worth and i really believe for the first time in a long while that there are others worse than me which keeps me going