High blood pressure and meds

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 4. Feb 2009, 13:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am waiting to receive a date for a THR and had my pre op assessment a couple of weeks ago. My blood pressure was high at this appointment , but I had waited for 4 hours!! Since then I have had it checked a few times at my gp`s and it has been up and down. I saw my GP yesterday who said it was more up than down, but thinks my diclofenac is not helping my blood pressure, but I need the anti inflammatory. So he is starting me on blood pressure tablets. (more pills!! :shock: ) I hope they work soon then I can move on with my surgery.
Has anyone else had raised BP with Diclofenac ? I have stopped alcohol, caffeine, am trying to exercise as much as pain will allow.
Any other ideas?

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That is interesting. :lol: I was on diclo for around 2 years and then I had to change because of stomach complaints and discomfort etc. I am on bendro tabs for high BP now. I have just looked up the anti inflams I now take and it says similar as for diclo regarding blood pressure.

Perhaps if I had never needed to take inflams my blood pressure would be ok. Mine like yours, was very erratic and the doc strongly suggested the water tablet.

Unlike you I have not stopped the caffeine or alcohol, but I do exercise but that is nothing new.

Here's wishing you all the best with your forthcoming op. :D

Take care
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Diclofinac gave me a performated ulcer, but that was 13 years ago, I think they prescripe a tummy medication to protect you now. Love Sue xxxx
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi, I've been on diclofenac since Oct'07 and started bp tablets Jan'08.

I've had no ill effects (that I know of!) from either med, my gp did say the diclofenac can raise bp a bit. However, my bp was raised way before I started on it, I don't think it made much difference!

The bp tablet has bought it down to an acceptable reading :)
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi I am waiting to receive a date for a THR and had my pre op assessment a couple of weeks ago. My blood pressure was high at this appointment , but I had waited for 4 hours!! Since then I have had it checked a few times at my gp`s and it has been up and down. I saw my GP yesterday who said it was more up than down, but thinks my diclofenac is not helping my blood pressure, but I need the anti inflammatory. So he is starting me on blood pressure tablets. (more pills!! :shock: ) I hope they work soon then I can move on with my surgery.
    Has anyone else had raised BP with Diclofenac ? I have stopped alcohol, caffeine, am trying to exercise as much as pain will allow.
    Any other ideas?

Hi
    I had raised blood pressure every time my gp took it, so that she was talking about meds to reduce it - but put me on 24 hour monitoring gadget first, which was very odd as it inflates by itself every half hour. But it showed that actually my bp was pretty normal. GP called it white coat syndrome - surgeries and hospitals being such scary places. Worth asking for maybe, just in case it's not the diclofenac? Who needs more bleedin' pills?! :wink: hope you get it sorted any way and surgery all goes well.
    JeanP
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I have been treated for High BP for a number of years. At the moment I am monitored regularly and I know that when my infammation is greater then my BP goes p, even with the mes - so the state of our disease at the time appears to make a difference to BP at that time!

as for white coat syndrome, it is very true - my dad's BP is through the roof when he first gets to the docs, but after a chat it is much more like normal!

always best to get it checked, but if it turns out to be White coat syndrome do mention it at the hospital - they should take notice of you!!
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.
    It has given me some food for thought. I have started to take the bp pills because I want to a date for surgery asap! Hoprfully when I have had the THR I will be able to stop the diclofenac and in turn the BP pills. Thats the plan anyway! Not that any of my plans work out the way I want them to though!! :?
    I am going to keep up the avoiding caffeine and alcohol, well almost! And am trying to up my exercise to help with my weight, so if that helps to lower my bp even better. :)
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    I thought i`d just update you all on my bp/surgery issue. I started tablets for high blood pressure over w eek ago but when i went for bp check at gp`s it was still up. I have bought a digital bp monitor (similar to that used at gp`s) and my bp at home has been down for 3 days! I have just spoken to my GP who said he was happy to fax my bp readings to the hospital so I should be hearing about a date for my THR soon. :shock: OMG I am getting nervous now!!
    Occupational therapy is coming to assess my home etc next week so......things are moving. I have been waiting so long for things to be moving on and now I`m terrified!!! I bet my bp is up now!! :lol:
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi NearlyB,
    I'm so glad things are moving for you at last, and you've got your bp sorted. I know you're getting nervous, but just remember over 50,000 hip replacements are carried out every year, so the surgeons have had plenty of practice! Hope all goes well; just keep thinking of how you are going to feel in a few months time when you're getting back to fitness and NO MORE PAIN.
    JeanP x :D
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Jeannie
    I`ve had another call from gp`s saying the hospital have been in touch and my new lower bp readings are being passed onto the anaesthetist tomorrow. I`ll be on pins waiting to hear now!! I`ll keep you posted.
    NB