Methotrexate or Not?

Options
pluggathome
pluggathome Member Posts: 171
edited 27. Jan 2009, 18:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys :P

I saw rheumy yesterday who has put me on prednisolone for two weeks to get me on track afta a rotten stint and then see what we do from there.

He has given me the literature on mtx to think about also but it worries me a little about what it does/can do to the blood count.

Is anyone on it who has found that they are more prone to infections or is this the normal 'must tell you about every possible side effect'?

Also, I have a particularly sensitive tum as I have IBS and the diclofenac and arcoxia I have previously had wrecked my tum and I am concerned about mtx might do.

Probably unfounded worries but any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting brain ache thinking about it :lol:

Thanks all

Pluggxx

Comments

• jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Plugg, I started on MXT tablets about 5 years ago, they were gradually increased to 20mg, they made me feel nauseous and very fatigued, also increased risk of infections go hand in hand with MXT, it is one of those things. Last year I was put on MXT injections, they took away the sickness, still left me a bit fatigued but not too bad, they take a long time to start working about 3-4 months, hope that this helps love Jaspercatxx
  • dollydaydream
    dollydaydream Member Posts: 21
    Options

I saw rheumy yesterday who has put me on prednisolone for two weeks to get me on track afta a rotten stint and then see what we do from there.

He has given me the literature on mtx to think about also but it worries me a little about what it does/can do to the blood count.

Is anyone on it who has found that they are more prone to infections or is this the normal 'must tell you about every possible side effect'?

Also, I have a particularly sensitive tum as I have IBS and the diclofenac and arcoxia I have previously had wrecked my tum and I am concerned about mtx might do.

Probably unfounded worries but any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting brain ache thinking about it :lol:

Thanks all

Pluggxx
    Hiya
    I couldnt take diclofenac either (the runs if you excuse the expression) I have been taking mtx for about 2 months & was worried when I read about the side affects but have been ok so far. Also you should be having fourtnightly blood tests to monitor whats happening to "everything" whilst on any new drug. I havent had any infections or anything out of the ordinary but my rheumy said she needs to know if I get a sore throat or mouth ulcers or anything unusual. I live in the west midlands and there is a telephone helpline direct to the rheumy dept at the Hospital if you are worried about anything at all. It's a great system & very friendly.

I take loads of meds, sulphazalazine (spelling not good) blood pressure , epilepsy, statins, angina stuff to name a few. It depresses me when I write it all down, I told my GP I put them in a cereal dish and just add milk every morning :D

Try not to worry too much --it is the norm to tell you every horrible senario, it's also normal to worry as well! I was once told just before going into Theatre for a very small procedure "you could die or have another stroke"
    aaaargghh & they expect you to relax with that info ? :roll:

Take care love Dollydaydream :shock:
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options

Thanks all

Pluggxx
    Hiya
    I couldnt take diclofenac either (the runs if you excuse the expression) I have been taking mtx for about 2 months & was worried when I read about the side affects but have been ok so far. Also you should be having fourtnightly blood tests to monitor whats happening to "everything" whilst on any new drug. I havent had any infections or anything out of the ordinary but my rheumy said she needs to know if I get a sore throat or mouth ulcers or anything unusual. I live in the west midlands and there is a telephone helpline direct to the rheumy dept at the Hospital if you are worried about anything at all. It's a great system & very friendly.

I take loads of meds, sulphazalazine (spelling not good) blood pressure , epilepsy, statins, angina stuff to name a few. It depresses me when I write it all down, I told my GP I put them in a cereal dish and just add milk every morning :D

Try not to worry too much --it is the norm to tell you every horrible senario, it's also normal to worry as well! I was once told just before going into Theatre for a very small procedure "you could die or have another stroke"
    aaaargghh & they expect you to relax with that info ? :roll:

Take care love Dollydaydream :shock:

Hiya Dollydaydream

Your expression was the right one, i ran for two weeks solid before we figured out what was going! :lol:

Thanks for your feedback. You too Jaspercat.

Plugg
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options

Thanks all

Pluggxx

Hi Plugg, your concerns are indeed not unfound we should all know as much as we can about the drugs we take. especialy when you have a long term illness that can result in you taking the drug for many years. Although sometimes i do think ignorance is bliss. I have been on MTX for three years and have simular tummy problems to yourself. I started on Tablets and they did play up on my tummy, After an operation on my tummy the surgion told me to ask the rheumy could i go on injections rather than the tablets as it was kinder to the tummy. So im now on the injections and have been on them for 2 years. We all suffer the side effects of this drug, some people more than others but i have noticed that the majority of people have little side effects and the drug really works for them.
    I know a man who goes for his injections with me to the clinic and he has been on it for 30 years. He says its the best thing he ever done. The other thing is that what works for one may not work for another. And last but not least Plug what are your options your between a rock and a hard place as they say. The biggest problem is that we go through so much pain we become desperate and end up wanting to try anything. I hope things work out for you, take care
    Colin