Quick query about toe fusion

Options
josiec
josiec Member Posts: 386
edited 29. Jan 2009, 14:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
Have been to see the consultant today and he has told me he will fuse my big toe if/when I want it doing now. I was a bit surprised by his comment that because of my age (31) it may take longer to fuse because my bones are denser and less porous than an older person. I understand what he means, but am surprised-I would have thought the younger you are, the faster you heal?? I've told him I want some time to think and am having some more steroid jabs in the meantime. Has enyone ever been told anything similar??
Thanks, Josie :roll:

Comments

• mandy_b1967
    mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Josie

I am waiting on having my wrist fused but was not told this!!!

I presume that having a big toes fused will make walking difficult did your doctor give you any details about how this might affect your walking?
    Mandy
  • josiec
    Options
    I've never heard of it either, but having said that he did say that they would do fusions on anyone regardless of age if all other avenues had been explored, maybe he just wanted to raise my awareness of it. He explained that walking may be different because toe doesn't bend, but said as mine doesn't now it wouldn't be much different, but hopefully pain-free, which it is far from being at the moment! He did say that whilst they aim for standard footwear, there are still those who need insoles and shoe adaptations, but can't predict if this may be the case beforehand. Hope all goes well with the wrist! Regards, Josie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    josiec wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    Have been to see the consultant today and he has told me he will fuse my big toe if/when I want it doing now. I was a bit surprised by his comment that because of my age (31) it may take longer to fuse because my bones are denser and less porous than an older person. I understand what he means, but am surprised-I would have thought the younger you are, the faster you heal?? I've told him I want some time to think and am having some more steroid jabs in the meantime. Has enyone ever been told anything similar??
    Thanks, Josie :roll:

Hi Josiec

It may not be the same thing but I had all my toe joints removed and them fused when I was 24. They had those stupid wires coming out the top and boy did you pay a price if one of those got knocked but excluding that it was all fused in 6 weeks and I never looked back.

I had my ball of my big toe half removed and what was left fused when I was 40..... it took 6 weeks and I have never looked back. I don't know if that helps you decide but mine was only OA and I went on to have the big toe fused on the other foot as well since then...... it took 6 weeks.

For me it halfed the pain and made walking and using my feet so much easier but I may just have been lucky and it was only because of OA and that may have some bearing. Take care
  • josiec
    Options
    Thankyou for that! Not sure if mine is psoriatic arthritis, widespread OA or a bit of both to be honest so am hopeful that would sort the main problem with my feet-my toes have clawed as well but aren't particularly painful. I'm going to try and make a decision soon rather than ponder it for months!
    Josie :)