methotrexate and thinning hair

Options
susbrick22yahoocouk
susbrick22yahoocouk Member Posts: 21
edited 29. Jan 2009, 05:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello everyone
I have been on methotrexate 10mg for 3 months and folic acid 5mg taken once the day before mx, however the pain is less which is great but my hair is thinning they said now to take folic acid everyday except mx day this will help my hair comeback. Has anyone else had the prob and does increasing folic acid help as they say it does? please help
sue

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can't answer your whole question, as round here if you are put on MTX you are automatically told to take folic acid 5mg every day except MTX day.

I have had problems with my hair thinning, but have noticed that the worst of it is when the dose has been changed. It does seem to settle down after a while on a stable dose.

Sadly it is one of the pay-offs seemingly for getting the relief of arthritis symptoms. I had a word with my rheumatologist who was not very helpful, but the rheumy nurses and my GP have been a lot more help. Also I talked to my hairdresser, and she advised me of a better way to care for my hair to avoid putting any more stress than necessary on the roots. So far it seems to be helping, although having increased to 25mg injections 7 weeks ago it is thinnning a bit more.

My thinking is that I would rather have the joints ok and thinner hair, than lustrous thick hair that I can't manage to look after because my joints are feeling so bad.

hope some of that helps.
  • susbrick22yahoocouk
    susbrick22yahoocouk Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Sue,taking the extra folic acid will help,i had this problem too(and like wonkylegs my dose has recently gone up to 25mgs so its thinning a bit more than normal again,but im sure this will settle down.
    I also now take Folic acid every day except MTX day.(I used to take it 3 days after,different rheumatologists have different ideas on how best to take it)

thankyou for your answer i do feel better now,
    sue
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I had this when i was on high does i had to come off the high dose for other reasons and while off metx for a few weeks and since the dose has been dropped my hair is in better condition and is thickening up again but my hair dresser wont perm it and i would love to get my hair permed but have to execept it and wave it with products and tongs instead and i also have to take folic every day now so it must help it stops me getting infections also ive been told by nurse will wait and see with that one from joanne price
    Joanne
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    Options
    I had this problem with the MTX and I was only on 15mgs a week. Came off it after 6 months as my white blood count kept falling ( same with Sulphasalazine too) I felt it quite fine ( almost bald along my crown) but my family and hubby all said it looked ok - think they were just trying to make me feel better as when I seen the Xmas video it looks awful! I stoped taking it in Oct and my hair is all starting to come back now , lots of wee tufty bits. I always just took 1 folic acid tablet a week.
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi,
    I have always taken folic acid 6 days a week with MTX on the other day. When I started MTX I noticed a marked thinning of my (once very thick) hair but it settled after a while (I think as my body adjusted to the MTX) and has never got any worse. I look after my hair better than I used to (I haven't highlighted it since - I now have a lovely warm brown colour to hide the grey) and have it cut a little shorter which makes it seem thicker (and easier to cope with anyway). For me it was the worst thing about the MTX and I was so pleased when it settled, I told my (very friendly) hairdresser about my concerns and he has always been honest with me about how my hair is and he advises me on looking after it. I hope it works out for you! KT