Been Taken Off MTX

alison67
alison67 Member Posts: 70
edited 28. Jan 2009, 13:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, i've been taking mtx since September last year and reached 15mg via tablet form. However, due to suffering headaches, some which developed into full blown migraine, the doctor has told me to stop the treatment for a month to see what happens. I'm really not happy about this as, firstly, it wasn't my usual rheumatologist i saw, and also, this drug has helped me tremendously. I'm even thinking of ignoring what he's told me!!! Any advice people? Thanks.
Oh, and by the way, Scottishlass, good to hear you're doing well.x

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I would try and discuss this with your usual rheumatologist, or maybe your GP or rheumatology nurse, so that they are aware of your concerns.

From experience I know how hard it is when taking a number of meds to work out what is giving the symptoms of side effects. My only thought to add to what you already said is this: is it really worth carrying on with the MTX AND the headaches, if by stopping for a while you may know for certain that it is NOT the MTX causing it - the break may prove that you have something else that needs sorting, rather than it being the MTX, in which case you would have been blaming the MTX for no reason and might have given up on it needlessly.

hope that makes sense, bit rambly I'm afraid.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can understand your dilemma but would say that if you decide to continue with the Mtx you'll have to inform your GP because your consultant will probably write to tell him what he's suggested and then you won't be able to get the Mtx on repeat prescription anyway :roll:

Life's never simple is it :?: :?

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'