Leflunomide

ifeelninety
ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
edited 30. Jan 2009, 19:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am due to start taking leflunomide next week.

I have RA ( 3years now - how time flies when you are having fun :lol: ) I take hydroxychloroquine, naproxen every day and have tried Sulpha and Mtx but have been taken off both due to my white blood count getting too low. Not feeling too bad at preset as have ust had a steroid injection ( could kiss rheumy when he offers me one now :roll: )

Dont know an awful lot about leflunomide it doesnt seem to be one of the 'popular' drugs and when i google it :shock: , well it would put you off taking it.

So looking for stories good or bad on your experiance of anyone that has used it - do hope the side effect of weight loss works though!!

Comments

• redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am due to start taking leflunomide next week.

I have RA ( 3years now - how time flies when you are having fun :lol: ) I take hydroxychloroquine, naproxen every day and have tried Sulpha and Mtx but have been taken off both due to my white blood count getting too low. Not feeling too bad at preset as have ust had a steroid injection ( could kiss rheumy when he offers me one now :roll: )

Dont know an awful lot about leflunomide it doesnt seem to be one of the 'popular' drugs and when i google it :shock: , well it would put you off taking it.

So looking for stories good or bad on your experiance of anyone that has used it - do hope the side effect of weight loss works though!!
    .................hi ive been taking leflunomide for a few years now.ive tried sulpha metha too in the past.it did control my arthritis well for a while,but now im having to up my dose from 10mg to 20mg.this is my own choice realy as i refused to go on humira.but do bear in mind ive had PA for 18years now,and we all react differently to each drug.hope you have succsess with it.
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    The weight loss is negligible unfortunately and for me is offset by the prednisolone I take with it.

I also take sulfasalazine and in the main, my RA seems to be stable though some recent urine tests have been a worry. I'm waiting a referral to the renal unit for further tests but my GP thinks it's probably the combination of drugs.

It does take time to work though and if there is a problem it has to be 'washed' out of your system over a couple of weeks so it's by no means a benign drug.

I hope it works for you.

Patrick
  • kayleighb
    kayleighb Member Posts: 12
    Hello - I have been taking leflunomide for a couple of years now - I was originally taking just mxt and they were just upping the doses but now, as well as the mxt they decided to try me on leflunomide, as I took a turn for the worst for some reason.

It takes a couple of months maybe to get into your system but I had no side effects at all - I have more side effects from the mxt. My doctor did warn me of nausea and weight loss but I have been OK. I think it really does depend on the person taking it.

I hope this is semi useful - good luck!

Kayleigh
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    Thanks to all for taking the time the time to reply to me.

Got my App for GP for Tuesday so will start taking it next week at some point - Will let you know how it Goes