New and need someone help

Options
denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
Hi
Although I have been in considerable pain for a long time now, I have just put up with it thinking that nobody bothers about you anyway. My GP is very good but has been off sick for a long time so its locum docs. Eventually in January I saw consultant I have OA in both hips and will need a hip replacement (This was a complete shock to me) But they are trying cortisone injection first Consultant said its because of my age 53, but we all now its cost cutting. so still waiting for that to be done.
I went to see a GP on monday and I think I must have bombarded him with ?s and complaints because I also fell down stairs and hurt my arm so I went there with OA and arm problems. I told him I thought I have OA in both my shoulders as well , but he didnt seem too bothered. I dont know who is the best person to talk to I mentioned my shoulders to the consultant but he wasnt bothered either. so am I just to assume that I have it in other joints because none of the professionals seem to care. Where do I go from here !!!
Denise.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    denpen wrote:
    Hi
    Although I have been in considerable pain for a long time now, I have just put up with it thinking that nobody bothers about you anyway. My GP is very good but has been off sick for a long time so its locum docs. Eventually in January I saw consultant I have OA in both hips and will need a hip replacement (This was a complete shock to me) But they are trying cortisone injection first Consultant said its because of my age 53, but we all now its cost cutting. so still waiting for that to be done.
    I went to see a GP on monday and I think I must have bombarded him with ?s and complaints because I also fell down stairs and hurt my arm so I went there with OA and arm problems. I told him I thought I have OA in both my shoulders as well , but he didnt seem too bothered. I dont know who is the best person to talk to I mentioned my shoulders to the consultant but he wasnt bothered either. so am I just to assume that I have it in other joints because none of the professionals seem to care. Where do I go from here !!!
    Denise.

Dear Denise

Thank you for your posting and welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you are having a difficult time and it can be a shock when you are told that replacement is the next step. It may seem like a cost cutting exercise but the cortisone injections may help with your pain and doctors will always try other measures before they consider surgery particularly as you are so young.

If you follow the link http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6018/6018.asp this will lead you to the Arthritis Research Campaign’s booklet on hip replacements that will give you lots of information on this. Our information on self management of arthritis can be found on our website. If you follow the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources this will lead you to our booklets, particularly the booklet ‘Living with osteoarthritis’. The booklet ‘Coping with pain’ will give you information on pain management. You could ask your doctor to refer you to a pain clinic who should be able to look at your individual needs in managing your pain. You can call our helpline for more support on the freephone number 0808 800 4050 (Mon - Fri, 10am - 4pm). I hope this information is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn