Advice needed please.

Options
skezier
skezier Member Posts: 11,333
Hi,
I hope you don't mind me asking you this, I know I should talk to a dr but I don't have that kind of doctors practice so I'd rather not go in there let alone try and speak to one.
I see a rumo consultant regually, I could run it past him and he is very good at both listening and helping to keep it all damped down. For some time I have had OA especially in my lumber and sacrial areas. It is fusing its self quite nicely and fairly straight and it is helping to make it less painfull. I had a MRI a while ago and I also have spondylosis in my cervical spine and that is said to be quite advanced. He did tell me I had spondylosis in the lumber as well and he may have called it AS. I was floored and agery by the neck bit as my doctors practice had been telling me for years there was nothing wrong with my neck and I couldn't have yet another xray as I'd had my quoter. So maybe I didn't listen as well as I should.
I read your info booklet (thankyou for doing those) I've learned a lot about what my bones are up to. I have really bad vision problems as and when it feels like it, I have seen the eye dept several times.
I found your info on AS very familier infact it was like putting on a well tailered gloove! The thing is today I got a new turn, I have 2 identically swollen hands, pain higher than normal and it all feels tight if I bend, my ribs hurt and deep breathing isn't too comfy. The hands have backed off with being used but the rest seems quite settled for the day. Again I wonder about the AS.
The question is if I did ask would they treat it any different? I already take a bit of pain killers, I do keep active and I do push to the limit of what it will do, however I do know where it wont go and I have stopped asking it to do more than it can do though I wont let it do less!
I know the obvious answer is to see a docor, I aint going to do that, I just can't. I don't want to upset my rumo-guy as he is brillient and so kind understanding and nice. Can you tell me if having a lable = any different treatment please. If does I will ask him when I see him in April and if it doesn't I shall leave it sleeping! I hope you don't mind me asking, Take care, Cris

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Cris
    We don't mind you asking at all - we're here to answer questions to the best of our ability.
    This is something you should discuss with your rumo consultant next time you see him. There is often some confusion between spondylosis, sometimes called spondylitis, - OA - and Ankylosing Spondylitis, an inflammatory condition which produces new bone and leads to fusion.
    There are several reasons why you should know which condition you have. The vigorous exercise recommended for AS may be harmful for spondylosis; AS can cause inflammation of the eye which requires prompt treatment to avoid damage to the eye; if the symptoms of AS do not respond to anti inflammatories you may be offered a disease modifying drug such as methotrexate or sulphasalazine.
    The following website will get you to very good info on AS
    www.nass.co.uk and give us a call on the freephone number if you want to chat about all this.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • helpline_team
    Options
    Hi Cris
    You have had so much to contend with haven't you. It's always more difficult when you have more than one medical condition and more than one set of doctors.
    You have managed all these years and you know your own body well, what it will do and what it won't. Keep managing, keep fighting, keep caring for your animals. Cry when you need to and talk to us when you feel up to it.
    Sorry, I don't know about the de-nerving procedure - that really is one for your doctors though you might have answered your own question in your sentence about it possibly being dangerous to take away pain from someone who would then go flat out and not remember it's still there !!
    Best wishes
    Val
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Val,
    Funny that is exactly what my vets say! I have tried to get them to take me on as a primate, I have got the walk! Thanks again, I really apriciate it. Please can you tell me how to delete my second post, it's not a good one is it? The de-nerving is a last resort, they know how much it would cost me to do the pts thing and its an idea they have as I have luckilly no cord presure. It's only to do the bulging discs in my neck I would have to talk that one through as it's not reversable. I think they'd leave me with a fair bit of pain, and they need to! I know I use the pain as a reminder, its all about paying a price, every action and move I do has a price of instant or payback pain. I know what price I'll pay and usually I choose to pay it. Without it I know I'd be stupid.
    Thanks again, take care, Cris
    ps thankgod for pregabalin!
  • helpline_team
    Options
    Hi Cris

Your second post is now deleted (only we have the power to do this). If in future you would like to write to us in a more private format just use private messaging or email us directly to helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk.

Best wishes

Simona
  • skezier
    Options
    Simona thankyou so much for doing that. Again my thanks to you all, till I found this site I have been so alone and never allowed to say what I feel. Hell I thorght I was getting lazy! You have no idea how much help you are.
    You all take care and my thanks again. Cris