A few questions about post THR

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
Thanks for the leaflets, and other information. I will take my time reading through them all.
Now that I have a date for my surgery I am looking forward and wondered about how long after a THR can I travel or fly? I am hoping to have a short break in the autumn in Europe , if that is possible.
My work are asking when I will be ready to go back to work? I work as a community nurse, which obviously involves a lot of driving, walking, lifting and generally being on the move/on my feet. There are aspects of my job which I will not be able to do in the same way, such as kneeling , crouching to do procedures. I will need to discuss this with my team leader before I return to work. Have you any guidance on this?
Thanks

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks for the leaflets, and other information. I will take my time reading through them all.
    Now that I have a date for my surgery I am looking forward and wondered about how long after a THR can I travel or fly? I am hoping to have a short break in the autumn in Europe , if that is possible.
    My work are asking when I will be ready to go back to work? I work as a community nurse, which obviously involves a lot of driving, walking, lifting and generally being on the move/on my feet. There are aspects of my job which I will not be able to do in the same way, such as kneeling , crouching to do procedures. I will need to discuss this with my team leader before I return to work. Have you any guidance on this?
    Thanks

There are no hard and fast rules about resuming specific activities after a hip replacement but you can expect to fly or travel by bus or coach again about 6 weeks after the operation. However try and ensure that you have lots of leg room so that you do not put the hip at risk of flexing more than 90 degrees.

You can also drive at about six weeks after surgery, however you will need to get in and out of the car carefully. The information we have states that you could return to work around six to twelve weeks after surgery depending on the type of work you do so it would be advisable to speak to the surgeon about the length of time you may need before you can return and to speak to your line manager about changes to your work. If you look at our booklet ‘Working with arthritis’ by following the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets this will give you information about help at work and your rights.

You may already have this information but if you go to the link http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6018/6018.asp this will give you lots of information about hip replacements.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best Wishes

Dawn