pain relief and exercise

amanda000
amanda000 Member Posts: 12
i have had RA since childhood and now facing hip replacement at 47 i am high risk because of my weight although i have lost three stone which is 17 stone 3 i take co-codemal but the pain at night is unbearable and keeps me awake iam getting so irratable which is not good when i am a single mum of three two of which are teenagers i also have asthma which i understand interveres some medication. Also i do some exercise sat down upper body but what should i be doig for my hip my doctor is concerned the hip could break before it's replaced

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Amanda
    When you have more than one medical condition it can be difficult for doctors to find a painkiller which is effective and safe for you to take. Some people with asthma have an allergic reaction to anti-inflammatory drugs but there are codeine base drugs which are stronger than co-codamol e.g. codidramol or dihydrocodeine. Talk to your GP & see what else he could prescribe for you.
    Your hip does sound as if it's in a fragile state and I wouldn't suggest any kind of exercise but encourage you to ask your GP for an urgent referral to a physiotherapist for their expert opinion.
    Well done on the weight loss - keep going.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • amanda000
    amanda000 Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thankyou very much for your time i will look into it.