Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

pain relief and exercise

amanda000amanda000 Posts: 12
i have had RA since childhood and now facing hip replacement at 47 i am high risk because of my weight although i have lost three stone which is 17 stone 3 i take co-codemal but the pain at night is unbearable and keeps me awake iam getting so irratable which is not good when i am a single mum of three two of which are teenagers i also have asthma which i understand interveres some medication. Also i do some exercise sat down upper body but what should i be doig for my hip my doctor is concerned the hip could break before it's replaced

Comments

• helpline_teamhelpline_team Posts: 2,067
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Amanda
    When you have more than one medical condition it can be difficult for doctors to find a painkiller which is effective and safe for you to take. Some people with asthma have an allergic reaction to anti-inflammatory drugs but there are codeine base drugs which are stronger than co-codamol e.g. codidramol or dihydrocodeine. Talk to your GP & see what else he could prescribe for you.
    Your hip does sound as if it's in a fragile state and I wouldn't suggest any kind of exercise but encourage you to ask your GP for an urgent referral to a physiotherapist for their expert opinion.
    Well done on the weight loss - keep going.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • amanda000amanda000 Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thankyou very much for your time i will look into it.