Laser eye treatment

tlp123
tlp123 Member Posts: 3
I've had RA for approximately 10 years which has thankfully remained pretty stable. I have been making enquiries into Laser eye treatment and have come across various opinions whether it's suitable for people with RA due to the risk of dry eyes (something I haven't got currently but I believe there's always a risk it could happen in time). I've been informed by the optician offering the laser surgery that the more expensive Lasik intralase treatment would be the most suitable because of my RA. However I'm unsure whether they're recommending because it happens to be the most expensive (call my a cynic if you like) or if it would truly be the best treatment available for RA patients because there's less trauma to the cornea? :?
Could you offer some advice please?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    tlp123 wrote:
    I've had RA for approximately 10 years which has thankfully remained pretty stable. I have been making enquiries into Laser eye treatment and have come across various opinions whether it's suitable for people with RA due to the risk of dry eyes (something I haven't got currently but I believe there's always a risk it could happen in time). I've been informed by the optician offering the laser surgery that the more expensive Lasik intralase treatment would be the most suitable because of my RA. However I'm unsure whether they're recommending because it happens to be the most expensive (call my a cynic if you like) or if it would truly be the best treatment available for RA patients because there's less trauma to the cornea? :?

We don't have any information on Laser treatment to the eyes and the best person to speak to about this potential treatment would be your rheumatologist who could advise you on the type you could have while taking into consideration your rheumatoid arthritis and the treatment you are having for this.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • tlp123
    tlp123 Member Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    tlp123 wrote:

We don't have any information on Laser treatment to the eyes and the best person to speak to about this potential treatment would be your rheumatologist who could advise you on the type you could have while taking into consideration your rheumatoid arthritis and the treatment you are having for this.

Best Wishes
    Dawn

Many thanks for your advice Dawn. However I've been signed off by my rheumatologist and am being monitored and treated by my GP but will see if he can offer any advice.