Methatrexate and skin

Options
skinnylin
skinnylin Member Posts: 5
edited 25. Feb 2009, 03:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. i was just wondering if anyone on methotrexate has a problem with skin rashes. I have been taking methotrexate for around 5 years and have developed a nasty rash over my cheeks and nose. it often fells hot and itchy. My GP has been very good but doesnt know what to prescribe to help it and has now referred me to the skin clinic- but there is no appointment until May. HELP anyone!!!

Comments

• radiogirl
    radiogirl Member Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Skinnylin, Yes i do suffer from the same kind of rash, though mine is on the side of my hand, when it gets warm it really itches when I am at the gym or in the bath is really bad. I do take mtx too, but I was told by my rhummy that it was a side effect of RA more than the meds. I have been given hydocortisone cream a steriod I know but believe a little goes a really long way, it really helps and I have had my tube for ages !!!

Hope this helps - all the best
  • skinnylin
    Options
    radiogirl wrote:
    Hi Skinnylin, Yes i do suffer from the same kind of rash, though mine is on the side of my hand, when it gets warm it really itches when I am at the gym or in the bath is really bad. I do take mtx too, but I was told by my rhummy that it was a side effect of RA more than the meds. I have been given hydocortisone cream a steriod I know but believe a little goes a really long way, it really helps and I have had my tube for ages !!!

Hope this helps - all the best

Hi radiogirl, thank you for the reply, will talk to my GP again. The rash seems worse today so got an appointment to see her.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Skinnylin,

What type of arthritis do you have? My sister has lupus and a classic sign of lupus is a rash over the nose and cheeks - it was the reason she was diagnosed - joint pain, for her, came later. This rash is very itchy/sore and is worse in sunlight, it can also be on other parts of the body too - do you think it would be worth you asking the GP whether you have lupus :?:

Luv Legs :?
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skinnylin
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Skinnylin,

What type of arthritis do you have? My sister has lupus and a classic sign of lupus is a rash over the nose and cheeks - it was the reason she was diagnosed - joint pain, for her, came later. This rash is very itchy/sore and is worse in sunlight, it can also be on other parts of the body too - do you think it would be worth you asking the GP whether you have lupus :?:

Luv Legs :?

Thank you for your replies. Have been back to my gp who has consulsulted my rheumy and he thinks its unlikely to be caused by methatrexate as i have been on it for so long. The rash has now spread and I have been given antibiotics as it is thought now that it is rosacea (not sure of spelling!), so will have to wait and see.
  • radiogirl
    radiogirl Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Skinnylin, I know that you are not that much further forward, but at least you know that it is not your meds, if as you say you have been on it a long time at least you dont have to go through all that tooing and frowing trying to get that sorted again!! I do hope you get it sorted soon. Keep your chin up :)