Another Newbie here

Options
jenny68
jenny68 Member Posts: 8
edited 23. Feb 2009, 18:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I'm Jen and I've just been diagnosed with OA in my left wrist/hand, and I'm left handed. I'd had carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand for a number of years and it got so bad that it was constantly splinted so I had the op last April. During the op the surgeon muttered something about arthritis but I was in too much of a state to take it in, I just remember hearing the word. It took a few months for things to settle down again. Then in December whilst on holiday in Oz my hand was hurting again, the aircon in the car seemed to be making it sore. Since I came home at the start of Jan I've had nothing but trouble. The cold makes it really painful and I get grouchy and could just cry with the pain. It even hurts holding my hymn book in church despite being back to splinting it again.

I'm 41 which I thought was young for OA and live on the NE Coast of Scotland. Oh and I'm an artist so it's not really a diagnosis I wanted.

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Jenny or should I say Fit like? I'm Alex, I'm 33 from the NE of Scotland! I thought I was too young for OA but mines has been happening since I was 12, I only found out in October I've had it all this time. Just last month they told me I'm going into end stage. We went to A&E after a very scary Xray, heard arthritis and I burst out crying and caused a right scene. I even told the Doc that I should have sued you f***rs years ago!!! Needless to say it didn't go down well!I can reassure you though that as frightening as it first sounds the more you educate yourself and speak to the folks on here the more you will be enlightened. The main thing I've realised is I must slow down and stop doing certain things. It's hard but trust me it does get easier to deal with once you get over the initial grieving part. Just drop me a line anytime if you need to share or just have a rant xxxx Alex
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hello and welcome Jenny, you've found a good site to join for lots of help and support. Can't offer much advise about OA but just wanted to say hi

debs
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Jenny
    Welcome to the site :D I only discovered it recently and have found it very helpful. Also the chit-chat line is amusing and takes your mind off your problems. Also, if you want to ask any questions , the helpline is extremely good.

You must be feeling really fed up with the pain you are in, especially as you are an artist and use that hand. You don't say whether you are taking anything for pain relief or whether you have had any advice about the arthritis :?: Have you been back to the doctor again since this pain began :?: If not, I would go and ask what can be done. There might be things to improve your condition.

All the best, and keep up the art work,because we need people like you!
    Joan
    :)
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • jenny68
    jenny68 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome it's appreciated. I had an idea the gp might say it was arthritis, I guess I didn't realise the effect that confirmation would have on me even though it explained the pain and stiffness. :?
  • badger
    badger Member Posts: 178
    Options
    Welcome to the site. There are many wonderful people here, and a few artists as well, with arther. There is a connection to one persons website and I viewed his work a few days ago and it is remarkable especially his work on tigers.

What's in a name?

You are now about to make progress, friends and medication can make a real difference, but so can your state of mind. Try to look on the positive side. You have got to the age you are now with little problem and as a good late friend of mine used to say “there’s a good many in the church yard that would like to take your place”. I know she would have.
    Take each day as it comes. I am here reminded of the film “My left foot”, sorry but I foget the artist it is about.

All the best
    Badger.
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hiya,
    Welcome to the site-as you've seen already, there are alot of nice people here wanting to wish you well and offer support. I've got OA in both sides of my jaw and it ain't funny :? I'm 39 but probabaly had this for a while-took my dentist to figure it out! I'm also from Scotland-cold weather doesn't help!
    Hope things get better for you,
    Magenta x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Jen you sound really down, can I just echo what the rest have said, you have found a great site with a great bunch of people. I was in my late 30s when first diagnosed
    I have Ra and PA. I know its no conciliation but read the young peoples forum it makes you think. I know what its like to be in constant pain and you can’t even think straight, it can be soul destroying. The secret is to try and not let it wear you out and try some way or some position you can put yourself into that will ease the pain. None of its easy and the hard part can be coping with it. Just remember you are not alone now and will find all the help and advise you need hear. It may well be that the guys here cant cure you but they have ways of making you feel so much better. Take care and keep your chin up.
    Colin

When God Gives you Lemons make lemonade