Felt devastated

Options
jeannie2
jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
edited 24. Feb 2009, 02:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Am coming back to life again …. Been so, so fed up for a while. BUT I’ve got a new pair of shoes … and can’t believe the difference in how I feel because of the reduced pain in my feet and ankle. It sounds daft but I really do feel more motivated. Mind you they cost me an arm and a leg. Need a fusion but too much of a coward to do it. That’s not strictly true. I just can’t take it on board at the moment.

I was absolutely destroyed at the end of last week. After waiting 5 months in dreadful pain for a splint, I was told by surgical appliances that they are going to fit me with a calliper. I’ve cried buckets and have taken the view that this, again, is the cheap option; a bit of metal and a few pieces of Velcro and that’s got shot of me – splints are expensive. Not only that, they are going to bore a hole through the heel of the expensive shoe to fit it. I hope they are insured because if they make a mess of it they’re going to have to replace them!

Has anyone else experience of these? Do they help or, as I’ve heard, make things worse? I can usually laugh about things but …. to find myself unwillingly attached to a metal detecting scanning machine at the airport this summer is not my idea of fun.

Sorry I haven't been posting - when there's folks who needed support .... but I've felt such a miserable faggit? fagget? ****? ... well that anyway.
Best wishes to everyone - especially those who've been/are in hospital/or suffering the vagaries of clinics.
Jeannie S (unmoderated)

Apologies to our moderator - Was so pleased I think I was 'advertising' a product...sorry! Have removed it.

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jeannie, only last week someone recommended those shoes to me. Glad they are helping you. Typical of the arthur though you have good days and bad days, you never know what to expect.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Jeannie

Sorry you've been through so much. Hope the shoes keep working for a long time. Any relief can make a big difference :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Jeannie

Sorry to hear you have been so down but glad to hear of the new shoes it is amazing how something like that can make you feel so much better. Your going to have to get yourself sorted me girl and get that fusion done. Sorry to hear about the calliper bet you cant get your head round that one. I wonder if those scanning machines are magnetic
    I have this mental picture of you skimming along the floor and sticking to the wall SPLAT !!!!LMAO. Sorry Sorry sorry LMAO Sorry Jeannie but its your own humour coming back at you. Its just great when you can feel so bad and laugh at yourself or make light of it. I was going to tell you the story of my new shoes that the hospital made for me but as yours where so expensive I wont bother but I can say after 3 goes the left one fits.
    Anyway its good to see your bouncing back and nice to see your spirit lifted
    Take care and keep your chin up.
    Colin
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I had terrible pain in my feet for about two years before I discovered Hotter shoes, and now I won't buy anything else. They have helped me a lot. Regards the cost, they last for years so are worth the money. Aiso, if you look on their website and go to Clearance, you can often find real bargains. I just got a super pair for £25. Proper price £55.
    Good luck
    Joan :)
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jeannie,
    I'm sorry you have gone through it the last week but you mustn't apologize for not posting. We all have ups and downs, or sometimes level and downs and you have a lot to contend with just now.
    I'm sure they won't damage your new shoes, and if they do they have to be covered and replace them. I don't know anyone who has had to have a calliper for Arthritis but a mate of mine has had to have one for something else and it really has improved her mobility. It's not easy to get past the bits of metal and Velcro thing and she was very self conscious for a week or so but now she can walk quicker than me, is far more stable and is back to wearing skirts.
    I do know what its like to feel your treatment is the cheep option, and it is so upsetting but my mate had splints and they didn't work. We come under the worst health trust in the UK here, been bottom of the league tables 3 years running and I promise you they go for the cheapest thing they can get away with BUT she had a splint first even with these so maybe they think this will be your better helper?
    Sometimes, stuck in the system you end up feeling as if your of no importance at all, but just remember you are! Your as valuable as any other person in or out of the NHS. So hang in there, see how it goes.
    Oh and remember your not a machine and your allowed to be down. A cyber hug to you and take care. :)

Hey Joan I pay that for wellies........... my only designer label....... and they give good support........... :lol:
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    hi Jeannie, I can appreciate the feeling miserable bit, i hope that you are on a upward turn now. i know the thought of a metal brace is not good but if it helps then it will be worth it. Just think at least at the airport they will be able to see the metal my friend had a hip replacement and forgot that they use metal screws so was really surprised when the detector went off at the airport until her husband said it's you hip.. :oops: one very embarassed friend.
    If we can keep laughing then arfur is not winning.