dam the pain

Options
turney
turney Member Posts: 8
edited 24. Feb 2009, 08:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone ive left a couple of posts on the working matters forum but first time in here.

At the moment i have a undiagnosed form of the arther in both of my ankles. And im on naproxen and pain killers which just dont seem to give me any help at all. Ive asked my GP for other options but he just keeps telling me untill he knows what it is i just have to wait.
I can understand this but its the pain relief i need help with as walking is that painful it nearly makes me vomit and the times ive fallen down the stairs now is countless.

What else concerns me is that im begining to get alot of pain in my right knee and my right little finger.

I know Arthritis has no age range it picks on but as im only 33 and have had to give up my manual job as a ground worker of 17 years. I find that as soon as you need help with benifits etc it all becomes so cloak and dagger, and where you think you would get the help you need everything takes so long and nobody likes to tell you anything.

So i would love to hear from anyone who has any thoughts or advice for a newbie with arthitis :?

Comments

• jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, Just wanted to say hello! This is all pretty new to me too, but your in the right place coming on here. I felt so much better after I found this forum, you'll get loads of support.

I'm still working part-time, but to be honest don't know how long I'll be able to do it, as it involves lifting/carrying which I am beginning to find a struggle. But I LOVE my job, and am loathe to have any time off!

When I last 'went on the sick' it was about ten or so years ago, I believe it has changed a lot since those days....... and I am a little apprehensive about it all too. You'll get good advice on here though :)

Jackie x
  • turney
    turney Member Posts: 8
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Hi, Just wanted to say hello! This is all pretty new to me too, but your in the right place coming on here. I felt so much better after I found this forum, you'll get loads of support.

I'm still working part-time, but to be honest don't know how long I'll be able to do it, as it involves lifting/carrying which I am beginning to find a struggle. But I LOVE my job, and am loathe to have any time off!

When I last 'went on the sick' it was about ten or so years ago, I believe it has changed a lot since those days....... and I am a little apprehensive about it all too. You'll get good advice on here though :)

Jackie x
    Hi thanks for saying hi and hope everything works out for you :D
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Turney
    Sorry to hear your in so much pain, I had never been out of work in my life and had to retire 4 years ago Ra and PA. It’s a mine field when you don’t know the system. The other thing Turney is you will not get far until you have had a diagnoses. My advise would be talk to the CAB they are very good and will give you the proper advice. Regarding the pain you need to rest up try not to walk about. I know the pain comes back but it will give you some relief for a time. Take care and go and talk to the CAB they are very good and on your side.
    Colin
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi Turney,
    I've replied to your post on the other forum. I've got sero-negative arthritis but I find that doesn't really get me anywhere. I recently contacted the help-line for an info pack which I received the next week. I've also just asked for them to send me any leaflets regarding what benefits you can claim for. Maybe give this a try. I'm like you-don't know what to do or where to go :shock: I'm 39 but was diagnosed when I was 30. I thought , why me-I'm young but as you know from this site, it can happen to any-one at any age-which is a bummer :? Have you tried ice-packs? I say this but I don't like using them-I prefer heat.
    Hope you can get some pain relief soon,
    Magenta
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Eh! Turney - I can sympathise with you - it's a divil when you can't even walk around the supermarket. Wise words .. "rest up" - it helps and lets you do a little more afterwards. It was three years before they finally told me I had RA but seven before they let on that I had OA in my ankles. Try to get some really soft-sole shoes which will cushion the impact of walking - I wish I'd done it years ago.
    Seeking help is a long drawn out business - I wish you luck with that.
    Jeannie S
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Turney, have you thought of trying Internet shopping for groceries, I use it all the time and you only have put it away, a good idea for the kitchen is a perching stool, so you can sit down to wash up etc, you should get advice from a occupational therapist, arranged through hospital or gp, they will come out and suggest adaptations and equipment.

Benefits advice is a good idea, and look into getting a blue disabled parking badge, you will need to give the name and address of your gp, and they write to him/her for a medical report.

I had to give up work some 5 years ago due to my RA, still miss it actually, can't think of anything else love Jaspercatxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi turney

As I said in a previous posting to you, I really feel for you and your family. It must be an absolute nightmare.

With a family of 4 young children, it is not on for the gp to keep you waiting for a diagnosis. I presume he is referring you. You need to start claiming and this all takes time. I don't suppose for one minute you are being paid for being off sick. I know the feeling well. Life is so unfair at times. All you wish to do is work to provide for your family and then "arthur" appears and puts a huge spanner in the works.

As has been suggested, Cab is a good place to go for advice. I hope things get sorted out for you soon.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.