Helpful Tips?

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 25. Feb 2009, 15:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Already I'm finding that I am doing some things differently because of arthur. For example heres 10 I've thought of:

1. I'm much more careful in the kitchen using both hands when filling the kettle; moving a pan etc

2. I no longer screw bottle/jar tops on as tightly as I can - in case I can't unscrew them when next needed :!:

3. I put things into a shopping bag to take upstairs instead of carrying them in my arms.

4. I don't drop things onto the floor at bedtime - I don't want to have to try and pick them up the next day :shock:

5. I sit on higher chairs whenever possible, and use a cushion too.

6. When appropriate, I now squat over the loo instead of sitting down :oops:

7. I keep myself warm indoors and out! I've often gone out looking like Nanuke of the North this winter :)

8. I hold onto the banister when using the stairs - just in case! And I also go up/down one step at a time now.

9. I watch my footing when outside - I am extra careful in icy weather and when walking on cobblestones/cracked pavements.

10. I'm slower - deliberately - to give my body chance to keep up with my mind :wink:

Any good tips from you most appreciated :idea:

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi,heres a few things i now do to try to make things easier for me;
    1.i buy 2 of everything,2 bleach,2 multisuface cleaners etc. i dont have to carry cleaning stuff up to bathroom,its already up there.

2. i deal with the post straight away,recycle junk mail,shread all other mail except bills which get put on top of computor ready to pay.

3.i put most of the washing on an airer,this cuts down on ironing & the pain trying to hang it out.

4. i keep all my meds in a tin at the side of my chair( i dont have small children) then put my daily doses into a cup on the coffee table so i know that iv taken it all :roll: lose track otherwise,its bad enough remembering every 4 hrs then the 1s inbetween.

5.i wear my winter boots allday in the house keeps my feet warm,good balance (better than slippers they cause me accidents) & i keep a warm furry blanket in living room if i get cold put it over me.

6 i get my bath early evening then im settled into my pjs & not have to bother asking for any more help.that way my o/h has chance to be left to relax for the evening & i can just hobble off to bed :lol:
    bet theres loads of better tips. i'll be watching for them. debsx
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    Options
    i used my grabber the other day to help me get a box of cornflakes off the top of the freezer,the box must have been undone as half the contents tipped out all over me.it wasnt funny at the time but now i have to laugh. :lol: my grabber is usualy very helpful...............the next god send is my electric can opener its the best thing i have ever bought.......the next thing i want is a laundry cart thing.my neighbour has this thing on wheels that you put your washing in instead of carrying a heavy basket of washing.
  • mash65
    Options
    iv been in twice to get electric tin opener,always out of stock.
    ( its u lot buying them) :lol::lol: i need 1 please.i have to hobble around the house looking for a willing soul to undo my tins.
    o/h has just fixed my food processor so i can once again grate cheese.
    all the things we once took for granted get taken away by arthr.
    i did manage to get bedding out on the line today then put it on airer to finish drying,& how lovely does it smell :D wish i could do that every day :oops:
    when i do get round to ironing i only iron the front of t-shirts(who looks at the back) & throws r great(as suggested)thats what i do now.(who knows if u iron the sheets,u sleep in them.u ruffle them up)
    if its a do;wedding,funeral i make sure iv got it all sorted well in advance as i never know when im gonna have a really bad day.then its all ready. debsx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I have a little bin (a plant pot holder) near the kettle for wet tea bags and bits of rubbish - I also keep one on the sink for peelings and left over food so I'm not always traipsing messy things over to the bin - a line it with small polythene bags.

My pegs are kept in a holder that hangs from the washing line so I don't have to keep bending.

I have a trolley that is very versitile: use it to wheel the laundry outside; to carry crockery, cutlery, food to the table and pile up dirty dishes afterwards. Put watering cans on it when watering house palnts - anything I can't carry goes on the trolley - it's a brill investment for independence.

When my knees are really bad, I found hovering over a loo for a wee can be messy :oops: so now (girls only for this bit :oops: :oops: ) I use a little funnel :shock: :oops: I even have a small stainless steel jam funnel that fits into a little bag inside my handbag for when I go out :oops: It's brilliant! Let's face it blokes don't know how lucky they are - public toilet seats are very nasty sometimes :x (I did try a Sheewee (little plastic gadget you buy on the Internet) but I could never get the hang of it) Anyway I shall shut-up again now because I'm on to the nether regions yet again :| :roll: :roll:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, with respect to turning taps, if you can afford then lever taps are a great idea, you only have to raise them to turn water on and lower them to turn water off, a kettle tipper is a good idea, and a lightweight vaccum cleaner is a must love Jaspercatxx
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    I have a little bin (a plant pot holder) near the kettle for wet tea bags and bits of rubbish - I also keep one on the sink for peelings and left over food so I'm not always traipsing messy things over to the bin - a line it with small polythene bags.

My pegs are kept in a holder that hangs from the washing line so I don't have to keep bending.

I have a trolley that is very versitile: use it to wheel the laundry outside; to carry crockery, cutlery, food to the table and pile up dirty dishes afterwards. Put watering cans on it when watering house palnts - anything I can't carry goes on the trolley - it's a brill investment for independence.

When my knees are really bad, I found hovering over a loo for a wee can be messy :oops: so now (girls only for this bit :oops: :oops: ) I use a little funnel :shock: :oops: I even have a small stainless steel jam funnel that fits into a little bag inside my handbag for when I go out :oops: It's brilliant! Let's face it blokes don't know how lucky they are - public toilet seats are very nasty sometimes :x (I did try a Sheewee (little plastic gadget you buy on the Internet) but I could never get the hang of it) Anyway I shall shut-up again now because I'm on to the nether regions yet again :| :roll: :roll:

hi linda,ive seen those sheewees advertised in magazines,ive often wonderd how they work.it looked a bit of an impossability to me. :o
  • gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    Options
    Ha
    these have all made me laugh.. then i thought OMG i do thoses things aswell!!(im only 27 i feel so old!!!LOL( :mrgreen:

I avoid hanbags and have an across the body bag!
    I get prepared veg!!
    I avoid slippy situations and take my time when walking
    When im bad i come down my stairs on my bum
    Ive ordered an ergonomic mouse and keyboard through work
    Im always wearing gloves
    Ive bought magnetic jewelry in the vain hope it helps!!

Ha!
    Gxx
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    when we moved into this house we had to "gut" it. Instead of carpet we fitted wooden floors all the way through downstairs. These are great 'cos I don't need to hoover them, I use a dry mop instead. Also on bad days when my feet are "burning" it's great to take my shoes off and walk on the coolness.
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    i have an electric jar opener which is a god send i got fed up with knock for the man next door to open jars.

i could not live without my hot water bottle.

I even had to ask hubby not to put the lid on the toothpaste as i can't get it off.

i've trained my dog to get in the car herself (she is only little and has to take a step back and jump) although hubby made me laugh the other day when he said we would be ok until she can't jump in the car and i can't lift her..

i've been told i drive an old persons car (i have a honda civic) but the light steering works fine for me

But the worse thing is not being able to do up shoe laces so i have to buy "old persons shoes" (at least that is what hubby calls them) with velcro and the last pair were ecco shoes even worse.. But i did find elastic shoe laces and a long handled shoe horn Yippee i can wear normal shoes.
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    1) Get an electric toothbrush - the handle is much thicker, so easier to grip in the morning and you don't need to apply pressure or move your wrist to funny angles to get all your teeth clean.

2) Position pills in key places so you will see them at the right time. I keep my morning meds by my computer as that is where I eat breakfast and my evening meds on my bedside table.

3) Get a pretty pill box to carry in your handbag for extra painkillers etc. You can get it out easily and find what you need without having to take your personal pharmacy with you.

4) Sleep with a sports bottle of water by the bed for when you wake up in the night needing meds. The sports cap means you won't knock it over and electrocute yourself while asleep!
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    scattered wrote:
    1) Get an electric toothbrush - the handle is much thicker, so easier to grip in the morning and you don't need to apply pressure or move your wrist to funny angles to get all your teeth clean.................................quote]

Just a little tip about the electric toothbrush - I use an electric toothbrush at night upstairs but keep a 'manual' one for downstairs - I found that with keep using an electric one I started to lose the ability to use a manual one and I didn't want to be in a position where if I was away from home and had forgotten my toothbrush I wouldn't be able to clean my teeth - YUK :shock: The electric one does give a much better clean though :D

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mash65
    Options
    iv just been & brought long over the knee socks. in the summer i wear trainer socks but winter have got thermal socks(suffer with cold feet)but iv got so fed up of socks needing to be pulled up,the pain on bending is too much.so iv changed to these long socks they stay in place all day,& keep my legs lovely & warm under my jeans.
    fashion over the past yr has gone out the window for me,im just wanting to be warm & comfortable. thankful the furry boots came into fashion as i live in mine, i'll be back to trainers in the summer,iv got some slip on 1s somewhere must look them out.i have to get o/h to stop to tie laces otherwise & i think he gets a bit fed up of it & the looks people give u :oops: debsx