Exercise

Options
mylo
mylo Member Posts: 53
Hi

I'd appreciate your advice re exercise. I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis in August 08, and recently had a bone density scan which showed that I have early osteoporosis in my lumbar spine. My problems started with a swollen knee in summer 07; before this I went to the gym and yoga classes at least once a week.

I've now lost a lot of my flexibility and strength, and would love to get back to the gym. I exercise at home - exercise bike, squats, walking, some yoga. What sort of weight bearing exercise would you suggest please?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mylo

Exercise gets more complicated when you have more than one medical condition which affects the bones and joints.
    Weight bearing exercise (any activity which involves walking or running) is recommended for osteoporosis but non weight bearing (such as swimming and cycling) is generally considered better for arthritis as there is less likelihood of straining the joints.
    So, where does that leave you ! You shouldn't exercise at times when your joints are inflamed or swollen i.e. if you're having a flare. It sounds like you are already doing a range of exercises which is good. Think about exercising your upper body as well to keep all your joints mobile. If you enjoy exercising at home you might consider an exercise DVD. Choose one of the 'tone & stretch' ones - those designed to reduce a 20 year old to a size 8 in 3 weeks are best avoided !
    Go back to the gym if you feel ready but make sure that whoever is in charge understands both your conditions and know which equipment you can safely use and which to avoid.
    A referral to a physiotherapist can be useful. Your GP can refer you on the NHS or you can find one privately. Our booklet 'Exercise and Arthritis' has some good ideas and tips.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • mylo
    mylo Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Hi Val

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I'll get hold of a DVD. As far as the walking is concerned, do you think I'm aiming too high if I try to walk 20 minutes each day? Sorry if I'm asking you the length of a piece of string ...
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi Mylo

Well yes... just how long is apiece of string :wink: To be honest take it slow and build up to a distance and walking time that feels right for you. If you build up slowly you will figure our what your limits are.

Best wishes

Simona