Is anyone else on Sulpha?

Options
georgielou
georgielou Member Posts: 12
edited 12. Mar 2009, 17:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello guys............my rheumy wants to try me on sulpha, so that i can eventually reduce my steroids, is anyone else on this and whats it like?
Lots of love georgie xxx

Comments

• suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am on sulfalzine and i have posted my problems with it. check the search button on the site for other opinions. everyone by the looks of it are differant. and no one knows until they are on it if it will work. i have got rid of a few problems ie headaches tingling nuimbfingers all day. but not got rid of the hot sweats and insomnia which my rhoumy tells me are side effects and tells me she will be guided by me if i want to stop it i can but then what do i try and what will that do? but she does not want me not to sleep and she has suggested me taking solpadol a pain reliver with codine the codine she say will help me sleep she said this yesturday. and i did this and no joy sleeping and i had to go to sick bay as i went hot and felt dizzy and exhausted so if i do not sleep tonighti will visit the gp.
    but my joints are ok on it. other people have had some good comments about this drug but for me i am confused and unsure.

i have been on it for four weeks so it is early days for me listen to what the others say about it. from joanne
    everyone is differant it may be a good thing for you
    Joanne
  • masaka
    masaka Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi,

I have been on it for about 2 years. I can't say I noticed any side effects even in the early days. It has worked for me. It seems to keep the pain and stiffness under control particularly in my hands, knees and shoulders. Perservere with it. I still know I have got RA| but the pain is manageable. I use it with cocodamol as pain relief.

Regards, Teresa
  • tamnwill
    tamnwill Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Have been on it for 5 weeks, but decided to introduce it slower to my body as I had a facial rash with it before, so instead of one extra every week up to 4, I increase 1 every 10 or so days. Am about to take my fourth soon and be on the required dose for me. Since I have been on it my CRP levels have gone from 133 to 19, so it's promising heh! Hopefully you did a blood test at the time of starting it, so ask what the results of the next ones are and compare the two CRP levels. CRP measures the inflammation in your body. I too take steroids and in the same time have reduced from 20 to 5 now as they want me to stop taking it altogether. Have found out I can take 1mgs of Pred, so's to reduce it super slowly each week. Hope this helps. Fingers crossed for us both xxx
    Energy is eternal delight.
    William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain
  • sharonjax
    sharonjax Member Posts: 19
    Options
    just started Sulpha last monday so it's my second week now and on 2 a day. Felt a bit dizzy and slightly spaced out with terrible memory at first, but thank goodness feel ok now. Still having terrible night sweats and didn't sleep much for the first 3 or 4 nights either, but the sleeping thing is ok now so fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted...

Sharon
  • georgielou
    georgielou Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies..........im not on Sulpha yet, but soon to try it so all this really has helped and i suppose you get side effects with all drugs!!!

xxx
  • gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    Options
    Hi
    i started sulpha a month ago. I have really bad memory lapses and dizzy spells. GP siad it wasnt tablets (tonight) but have rung rhuemy nurse and waiting for her to ring back.

Didnt think the memory lapses were connected until i read this thread.

Good luck

Gemma
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you can’t locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under “are we going to break the record”. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi I've been on sulpha for about 12 years now and had no side affects at all. It is good stuff and keeps me mobile I definitely notice if I let my prescription run out! However, everyone reacts different for instance I cannot tolerate methotrexate and yet others swear by it. It is just a case of trial and error.