Worried about my daughter (sorry if its long)

Options
sunshine14
sunshine14 Member Posts: 38
edited 27. Feb 2009, 10:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I haven't been on for a while. What they thought was RA/Lupus is Fibromyalgia and I'm back under Neuro as there are more question marks around MS. But my real concern isn't me it's my daughter who is 8. 2 years ago she started suffering alot of pain in her feet and knees, struggling to walk. She saw a podiatrist who said she has fallen arches which is made worse because she has very lax ligaments. Anyway she had insoles in her shoes and she improved, and was able to get back to her dancing. Then about 4 months ago she started to complain that her elbows hurt, knees and feet again. So it was nurofen and rest, this would come and go. Then it seems to effect her shoulders too. Anyway she went to dancing as normally and stopped with pain. Her knees and ankles were cracking and popping in and out (not fully) and elbows, shoulders and the muscles around them, she was in a great deal of pain. She saw the Dr who has lax ligaments herself and so do her children, and she said after examing her that she isn't happy that it's just lax ligaments, so my daughter is having blood tests on Tuesday. (Blood tests are U&E, Liver, Bone, CRP, ESR, FBC) As well as this for the pass few days my daughter has been complaining that her left eye is sore as if there is bits in it, and today she said something had gone over her eye so she couldn't see properly. While at the drs we realised that everything was duller through her left eye, but she could read the letters fine. Dr called the hospital, then hospital called me asked a few questions and said if it gets worse take her up. She is having her eyes tested on Monday.

I feel sick with worry, seeing my daughter in pain is awful. I thought dealing with pain and the unknown for me was bad, but that is nothing compared to this.

Does anyone know a child that has suffered similar symptoms? I guess I'm after reassurance, I can't sleep with worry and I don't have a partner so I'm sitting here with it going round in my head.

Thought I'd post on this board as you have always been lovely and helpful. thanks x

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    sorry to read about the tough time you are both having just now.

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but will be thinking of you.

sending cyber hugs instead ((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
  • sunshine14
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    sorry to read about the tough time you are both having just now.

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but will be thinking of you.

sending cyber hugs instead ((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))

Thanks x
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Hopefully the blood tests will show something, it is amazing what they can pick up. My mum was told for 2 years I was just a lazy child and to smack my bum and make me walk, she knew there was something seriously wrong with me, mums know these things but everytime she took me to a doctors appointment they would ask me to walk and I did, but they didn't see me in pain on a night crying, they told my mum she was an over protective mother.... and offered her valium, it took two long years before a doctor eventually took her serious then they said I had stills disease and I would go blind have a weak heart and die before I was 12. today Im 44 heart as strong as an ox, eyesight iffy, but I think it's either my age or the drugs, and I didn't have Stills disease I had chronic juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. OK that was how they treated us 40 years ago, but I'm sure today they are a lot more advanced, and I would hope that they should be able to rest your mind once the blood results come back. If it is arthritis, it's not the end of the world, there are worst things, and when you get something like this at a young age, I believe it's easier, I may get a backlash here........ but thats my view, when people ask me am I in pain, I look at them daft, if your always in pain, how do you know if your in pain? does that make sense.....I have never known any difference, and there is always the possibility when your young it can burn out, I had many great years from being in my teens to early 30s, but like all things it creeps back. Good luck and I hope everything goes well, keep us up to date, and hope your young one is ok xxxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    sunshine14 wrote:
    Hi,
    I am sorry to see your post, it's always worse with a youngster. I can't help you with her pain parts but I do also get a lot of blur, pain and sore eyes as well as not seeing in true colour. Mine is optic neuritis, cause unknown but in my case it self rights. It burns its self out in 3 or so months and then slowly I see the density of colour better again. I have a slight problem with contrast as well and it can look a bit dark, except in bright light which my eyes no longer actually like.
    If I were you I'd take her to the eye dept tomorrow. Just get it checked out. Sometimes they can give you drops etc and hers may not be like mine. It's not a nice examination but they must have an easier and kinder way for kids?
    I wish I could help you, and stupid to say I know, try not to worry too much. It may be they find nothing wrong but I would take her as it may be they can treat it. You take care and I echo Wonkeylegs as well.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi
    So sorry to read this post. I can't offer any help but just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. I hope it isn't too long before you find out what's wrong. It always seems so much worse when it's your child. Try and take a bit of time for yourself as well.
    Love
    Vonski x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hugs to you both cant offer much advise i am sorry but at least its getting sorted now and you will know what you are dealing with , , years ago alot of childrens aches and pains were put down to [GROWING PAINS] how many of those children are now suffering ,with uncle arther and his family , take care and dont let them fob you of ,xxxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Sunshine
    So sorry to hear of your plightits bad enough being ill yourself, its so sad when the children suffer and in so much pain. Not much help for you i know but just wanted you to know we will be thinking of you both Take care and keep your chin up.
    Colin
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Sunshine
    So sorry to hear about your daughter. We can stand anything for ourselves, but when it is our children, it is a different matter. As you are on your own, it makes it more difficult to bear.

My daughter had pains in her legs when she was about 10 and we paid for her to see a private speciaist. He did lots of tests but they all drew a blank. He said that growing pains do exist and he thought she was going through a period of rapid growth.Eventually, they seemed to disappear of their own accord.

This may not be relevant to your daughter, but I thought I would let you know that sometimes things can sort themselves out. At 8 years old, at least your daughter is young enough to start any necessary treatment early.

I hope all will go well for you both
    Joan :)
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Sunshine

So sorry to hear about your daughter, it must be so hard for you.

Thinking about you

debs
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    When my eldest son was a similar age to your daughter his ankle ballooned up for no reason and he was unable to bear weight on it - GP sent him to hospital for bloods to see if it was arthritis related - and thank goodness it wasn't.

I can remember being overwrought, sleepless, crying endless tears (when he wasn't around) - knowing that I can go through anything but please not my child. He was quite philosophical and said if it is arthritis Mum we can have our bad days together can't we? He wasn't upset about it at all.

What I think I'm trying to clumsily say is that children are so resilient and stronger than we often realise - it could be something, all these symptoms, but try to cross that bridge when you come to it. It's great that you're dealing with it straight away and doing everything you can and not just dismissing things as laziness and 'growing pains' - your GP is listening and things are moving - you sound a lovely Mum to me.

Take care and fingers crossed that things aren't going to be as bad as you're imagining now.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi Sunshine

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I am glad that the doctor is listening to you and doing bloods. As moms we hate it when our children are suffering. Make sure that you get enough rest. Hope things go well at docs. For her eyes though, is there no way that they can be checked sooner? Do you not have access to an eye hosp you can take her to? They would always rather see a child asap. Hope you get on ok at docs.

Deb
  • julies
    julies Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi sunshine
    Your daughters symptoms sound very similar to my sons.
    He has enthesitis related JIA which he developed when he was 13.
    He has eye tests done every 6 months which is routine with the type of arthritis.
    Hope everything goes well for your daughter and yourself
    Julie
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Sunshine
    sorry to hear of your worries for your young one, but like was mentioned before kids just seem to sail through things were we worry ourselves sick, but thats only natural we would rather go through it ourselves than have our children ill.
    It sounds as if you have a very good GP who is on the ball which is great.
    Sorry I am no use to you except to be thinking of you and hoping everything gets sorted out soon.
    take care
    Denise.x
  • sunshine14
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind replies, this site is lovely and it has helped me so much.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I am glad that the doctor is listening to you and doing bloods. As moms we hate it when our children are suffering. Make sure that you get enough rest. Hope things go well at docs. For her eyes though, is there no way that they can be checked sooner? Do you not have access to an eye hosp you can take her to? They would always rather see a child asap. Hope you get on ok at docs.

Deb[/quote]

The emergency eye ward called me and talked about my daughters eye symptoms, and said if they get any worse I am to call them, but to have her seen by optician. My Dr did say that if this was a symptom in an adult it would need looking at urgently, but she said it's difficult in children. Surely it's still urgent in a child. Thanks again everyone x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I was very sorry to read your story, it must be worrying for perants. If you feel very worried, I'm sure A&E would be able to help you and the best port of call. With love and best wishes sue.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Hi Sunshine
    i am sorry to hear abut your daughter but hopefully all the tests should find the reason.
    Is your daughter very tall and perhaps her bones are growing faster than the muscles hence pain (mine has this).
    I suggest you also ask for referral to occupational health to give her exercises to strenghten the ligaments.
    I have insoles and was surprised they def. help with pain in hips..i dont have it as much...also when i have pain say in my back if it then goes to hips it also goes to knees and ankles like a mexican wave......
    lots of what you have written i can relate to either with myself or my family etc..its just stressful for you as a Mum and having to wait.
    Like another post sometimes you sort of grow out of some conditions in time so lets hope for this.
    Youre doing all you can so youre on the right path to get it sorted out. Have you tried putting arnica gel or cream on the joints,worth a try? has she thick soled trainers to take impact of hard floors?does she swim as a gentle form of exercising?just ideas.
    good luck
  • sunshine14
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. She wears insoles, she is under poditary (if that's how it's spelt), that's where they first picked up the lax ligaments, and they helped lots. Pain seems to have flared up again. Yeh agree with trainers and I always make sure she has decent school shoes. She seems a little better tonight, she's had a long warm bath and it's eased her. Can I ask, what's arnica gel?

She doesn't swim very often. She's dance mad, but I can't see her dancing for awhile, so I'll try taking her swimming. Thanks again x
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    arnica gel is available in different forms - some from health food shops, some from TV shopping channels / internet etc.

The one I use is SBC arnica gel, and I find that when my joints are really painful it does help to ease the pain for a bit - may be the arnica or may be the massage - difficult to know!

It is more of a homeopathic remedy, so you could ask a homeopath. I would suggest that you check with your pharmacist also, as not every over the counter remedy is OK with arthritis medications.

hope that helps
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Sunshine
    The poor little thing! :(:(
    I don't even know what to say, but I will think of her.
    Please do let us know how you get on.
    Bets wishes
    Toni x
  • ramummy
    ramummy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Poor you - it sounds like you're having a really tough time. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice (I'm VERY new to all this) but I have a 3yr old daughter so I can understand how worried you must be.

Just wanted to send a (((HUG))) and I hope you get some answers quickly so that your little one feels better soon.

Ju xx