Pain reduction of OA and Nortriptyline.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 27. Feb 2009, 08:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all my here’s my story, I had double keyhole April last year diagnosed with advanced OA of both patella’s , been in a hell of a lot of pain with lots of flare ups most nights, very demoralising lot of time off work, nearly gave me a break down over it, up until a month or so ago that is, then very slowly I started to notice things were improving, although I take Nortriptalyne daily I now have day’s when I don’t need any other pain meds, the best thing is I haven’t had any flare ups for over 7 weeks now!, my mobility has increased greatly also. I do get pain and discomfort if I do too much but all in all things are so much better. One other thing I have noticed is with my neck, I have a disc problem at the C6/C7 Vertebrae, but even the pain here has almost gone, only thing I can put it down to is the Nortriptyline, does anyone elso on here use it, if so did you get the same results? :o

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi mellman :D

Good to hear that eventually you are feeling much better on all fronts, so to speak!

Nortriptyline is an anti depressant and also helps with pain so it seems to have been the perfect med to pick you up on two counts.

I have never been prescribed this but am pleased to hear that you are going on well with it.

You will have to try to remember to not do too much, (difficult though that is :lol: ) like most of us have to, or have a great time and then take it easy for a couple of days.

I had a total knee replacement January '08 and afterwards suffered weeks of pain but good mobility.All finally settled down and I rarely think about that knee, but am thinking about the other knee and how much longer to continue before getting a "new" one!

Wishing you well,

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.