Methoject advice anyone please

juliag
juliag Member Posts: 4
edited 2. Apr 2009, 11:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
My Consultent and nurse are trying to get me on a new injecsion called methoject (i think thats its name) i was on Methotreaxte tablets but getting terrible stomach ache and they are suggesting i use these injecsions instead. bit wooried don't like idea if injections when tablets worked quite well but the stomach panis were getting quite bad suppose i have to really but anyone had experience with this stuff? sorry pretty new to internet, hubby set me up so i can look up more about my RA and new to this chatting thing so excuse my writing. Julia

Comments

• colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    juliag wrote:
    My Consultent and nurse are trying to get me on a new injecsion called methoject (i think thats its name) i was on Methotreaxte tablets but getting terrible stomach ache and they are suggesting i use these injecsions instead. bit wooried don't like idea if injections when tablets worked quite well but the stomach panis were getting quite bad suppose i have to really but anyone had experience with this stuff? sorry pretty new to internet, hubby set me up so i can look up more about my RA and new to this chatting thing so excuse my writing. Julia

Hi Julia Welcom to the site, dont worry about writing spelling or anything like that nobody looks. You have found a grat site with a great bunch of people you can talk to and will give you all the support and help you need. Methotrexate tablets can have an effect on your tummy with pains and sickness feeling. methoject or metoject is just a slang name for methotrexate injections that come prefilled. It is thought that the injections work better in your system and have less effect on the tummy. Its normally one shot a week into the muscle on your bum. Its a very small needle and you hardly feel it. Its all over and done in a couple of seconds. I hope this explains things for you. Take care
    Colin
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Julia, welcome to the forum, with regard to Metaject injections I have been using them for about a year, although a bit daunted at first I find them much better, I have no nausea with them still a bit of tiredness, they are painful and over in seconds, have a chat to your Rheumy nurse about them, there are alot of people on the forum who can reassure you more love Jaspercatxx
  • jen1805
    jen1805 Member Posts: 5
    hi i've been using metoject for a few months because of side effects from the tablets i self inject once a week and although scary at first its over in secondsand you get used to it very quickly and the only side effect for me is being tired for a couple of days which compared to what i was like on tablets is fantastic go for it the needle is tiny and the benefits are huge give it a go if you don't like it i'm sure you could try something else its all trial and error finding out whats right for you is the important thing x good luck x
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Julia,
    I started on metojec last week i went to the hospital and they shouwed me how to do the injections I did the first one and to be honest the hardest part was thinking needle verus tummy. Once i did the injection it didn't really hurt at all.
    I have my first attempt on my own tomorrow but i think the thought of it is worse than the reality of doing it.
    The injections is subcutaneous (just under the skin) My rheumy said do it in the tummy cos the skins is softer so the needle goes in easier than in your leg.

I do know that some people have it done at the doctors each week
  • lorraines
    lorraines Member Posts: 77
    Hi, i have being doing my own injection once a week myself for the past year I find it much better than the tablets couldn't tollerate them but have very little side effects with the injection it only takes a few seconds once a week and the longer you do it the easier it is :)

I do find it better in my tummy than my legs but do it on rotation so I don't use the same site to often .
    Hope that helps x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello,
    I'm lucky, as I don't need the drug you're on because I have OA, but I just want to wish you well with the injections. :):) Love Sue
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Hi
    Ive been doing my Methotrexate injections for over a year now. I couldnt tolerate the tablets as I have a potato allergy and guess whats in the tablets!!! I do my injections in my stomach as its nice and flabby:lol: i try to remember where I did the previous week so do left middle right on rotation so that the site doesnt become inflamed I cant do my legs as my thighs are very sensitive!! Its easy once you get used to it so good luck.
    Theresa :)
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • juliag
    juliag Member Posts: 4
    i thort i should give you all an update all i can say is what was i worreying about. thank you all soooo much for your support i went with it and i feel so much better than on the tablets, like you all said once you stop worreying about the actual injecsion its all ok.

juliag