eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
edited 22. Mar 2009, 18:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Anyone any further forward with their appeals?[/url][/list][/list]

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi,im so sorry to hear that. its quite the norm to get turned down 1st time as most of us have.ask for appeal,gather as much evidence that u can get ur hands on & get ready to go into battle.
    i know exactly how u feel,u know my story,just wanted to say dont give up.were all behind u. i had great support here & the times iv cried cause im made to feel a fraud.the pain & the problems we have is enough to cope with without giving personal details to complete strangers with no understanding of living with a life long condition. breaking a nail to them would be a crisis :x
    good luck & remember were here for u. debsx
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, very sorry to read this, I am not suprised that your hubbie is annoyed, they turn down alot of people first time, you really must appeal, even if you have to feel the forms in again, I had to go to appeal to get my DLA, it dosen't matter that you are working love Jaspercatxx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Hi, thanks very much for your replies, it means alot. My hubby made an excellent point in his letter, he said "she has not been taking her medication at work as it makes her slur her speech when she talks on the phone, last week she forgot to take her meds and had spasms in her bad leg whilst reversing out of our childminder's drive. Her foot slipped and she reversed into their brick wall causing damage to both the car and the house, fortunately our childminder is very aware of her illness and was very understanding about it"

I hadn't even thought about that, but now I'm worried they'll tell the DVLA I shouldn't be driving! He says I don't make it easy for myself as I am not honest about my condition, he says he's glad in a way I got declined as it might make me wake up and smell the coffee!
  • honeykins59
    honeykins59 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    hi eck i know exactly how u are feeling i was getting dla for three years then last oct i got the forms in for a renewal at the same time i had a visit from a guy from the princes trust for young carers (which i only found by chance speaking to somebody on here ) anyway he filled the forms in for me as he used to be in social work he said i did not have nothing to worry about then i nov 08 i got a reply and to my total shock :shock: i was refused on both according to them dwp i have difficulties in dressing but only in mornings i dont need help 24 hrs a day 7 days a week !!! i i can walk even though they understand with a stick i can still walk i am not virtually unable not to walk i can cook and prepare alight meal for 1!!!! i dont need help at night and all this was based on medical report test results and blood results so i was so angry that when i phonned up i was met with a reply that they were not disputing that i have a walking stick and that i have to stop and get my breath back or to sit down on the pavement im not unable to walk and 200 metres i said what is 200 metres they said from one lampost to another i explained that my motability car is at the top of my path and it can take anything up to 30 mins to get from my door to the car which is parked inbetween the lampost he said yes but u can walk then i explainned that my 13 year old daughter who is my main carer has to get up early to help me get out of bed and help me to the toilet and then has to get me dressed ie socks, underwear , bra on then help me to get out to the car he again said yes but you dont need help 24 hrs a day!!!!! and when i said my daughter does the cooking as i cant grip the pots or peel a potato because of the arthur he said maybe not but u can still make a sandwich for on1 or a light snack so then i asked him for a copy of this medical report as i had spoke to my gp and he not had anything from them he said no your consultant at rhummy filled the form in i was :shock: :shock: i never got that report until i started the appeal and guess what the consultant put under prognosis GOOD!!!!!and under help and assistance NO PROBLEMS!!!!guess what i was so angry that when i read that report i got my father to run me to rhummy at the hospital and i sat in that room waiting until i saw her and i demanded a explannation of her she was quite shocked as when she wrote good she explainned that i had 2 months where my test results were good and so the new cobination drugs were working so she thought that is what the question was asking but as for long term as she said we dont know then when i asked her about the no problems she said she meant that i she didnt think i was having any problems well i said thats because i dont see u as much as i see the rhummy nurse and she knows more about me than u so she agreed and apologized to me too late!!!! damage done so now i am waiting for a tribunal date my dla has stopped since dec08 my working tax credit has been halfed in two and oh my mobilty car goes back in march and that my dear is my wonderul consultant for u your husband is right it is time to wake up and tell them the most gritiest detail and dont mince u words because they want people to give up and it is your right to fight just as i have to do sorry to keep going on but i am determined to win this i also have a benifits welfare officer on my case who has been great telling me what paperwork i need i have also got a great letter from my gp who is appaled in how i have been treated and aletter from my rhummy nurse who i see on a regular basis i even have a letter from my 13 old daughter who typed it up all the things she has to do for me even down to having to push me about in a wheelchair when my arthur is flared up and i cant walk so keep ur chin up and appeal good luck!!!!!
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Hi honey

That's awful. People are right though, why is it they make genuine people feel like frauds. My hubby said, right they never took your Mum seriously about your kidneys and by the time they did you needed emergency surgery to prevent transplant - THEIR FAULT. You went in for a kidney Op caught MRSA and got Osteomyelitis - THEIR FAULT. You've got end stage arthritis in your spine and can't be helped by surgery - THEIR FAULT. He said considering the NHS caused all this the very least the DLA can do is give you some money to pay for your meds since you'll be on them the rest of your life which is THEIR FAULT. I hate to think that way but it's really starting to get me angry now. Hearing all your thoughts and wishes definitely makes me determined to fight on.

Alex (Eck) 8) xxxxx
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Am horrified, but not surprised, at all your posts. How can all these people be so callous. Seems to me that salaries and pensions are the main objective nowdays and that the dedication we had to caring for the sick and disabled has all but diappeared.

Take a deep breath and fight on - as people have said, they hope folk will give up at the first hurdle.
    Good luck to you all with your battles.
    Jeannie S
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Hi

Just to update you all. I've spoken to a lady at Welfare Rights, she was mad that at some of the comments made by the advisor to me over the phone. She said she was "very concerned indeed" as the Government wants people to work, she is getting a gentleman there to meet me and write a letter on my behalf. She said I'd obviously answered no about needing help taking meds and that if I need constant reminding from my hubby and friends to take them that is a care need. She says to complain to my GP practice that the letter was given to someone else other than the addressee and that they are paid for this. I'll keep you posted, thanks again for your support. I felt like giving up yesterday but as the lady and other posters have said, this is exactly what they want.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options

Hi,
    You can NEVER GIVE UP! It's what they want. Its a game to them, as many No's as possible, it don't make sense but keep at it and I hope you succeed. Take care
  • mandy_b1967
    mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
    Options
    Yesterday I posted my appeal form/letter, now I have to sit back and wait.....again.
    Mandy
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    What you have commented on is asked for on the DLA form. Was the wrong information entered? It is easy to overestimate your capabilities and enter this instead of what you can actually do unassisted or require assistance with.

Blank copies of the DLA forms are available online and could be downloaded, printed off and completed during a typical week to give a realistic review over time. If you complete them on a good day, it is what DWP see as normal for you. As a general comment, always tell the truth, it shows up if someone is hedging, as DWP can tell.

Re-enter accurately online or complete new forms, with help if needed, then post off the completed forms. Always keep your original copies of forms/letters to hand, filled in with your answers for reference if/when phoned for a query.

Good luck with your appeal as, in my opinion, what you have posted should qualify you for help.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Hun
    I was turned down after only 2 week of applying, even though both hips have OA and I need a replacement in one if this injection I had yesterday doesnt work. Although I do blame myself because I did say that I couId walk upto 100 metres (I dont know why I said that I think I just cant accept or admit to myself yet that I cant do things anymore) I am not sure if they have just changed the rules on applying and are tightening up because it now states that you will get it if you are "unable to walk or virtually unable to walk" so when they say if you are working you can still get it is a complete load of rubbish unless you have a scooter or wheelchair to get about on, (then who would employ us eh) It seems to me that the more you try to carry on and do things for yourself to keep your self respect and pride then the system is against you. We should all just pack in work, sit on our backsides all day and claim all the benefits going.
    Sorry for my rant.. ....again!!!
    Denise
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    denpen wrote:
    The more you try to carry on and do things for yourself to keep your self respect and pride then the system is against you. We should all just pack in work, sit on our backsides all day and claim all the benefits going.
    Sorry for my rant.. ....again!!!
    Denise

I agree Denise, it is a Catch 22 situation. If you are fit enough to work you don't need help. If you don't work, you are able to do something/anything for work, then you can't have help. e010.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • kate21
    kate21 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to say how very sorry I am that you've ever been declined DLA. I applied for the first time in Novemeber and just got their final letter back saying I don't qualify for anything. More than anything I was just shocked at how nasty the letter comes across. It automatically assumes you're a liar and that they know better than you do, daying "you can ..." I'm sorry, but unless they've secretly put CCTV in all our homes and workplaces how on earth would they know what we can and can't do day to day?! I have been struggling to convince my Rheumy how bad I am, as I am one of those people who always says "fine" and was finally prescribed MTX just this week, so felt like I was getting somewhere. Good luck everyone and good luck, don't get yourselves down about it, I guess these DWP people are just not good with words.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I received my letter yesterday declining either component. I feel let down as they wrote to my gp and consultant. However i am not sure which gp completed report as it is a group practice, and I have mainly seen same 1.So if others got letter, who knows! :(
    Can I ask for copies of their reports? I have had a bad few night and don`t feel up to a fight. But thats probably what they`re hoping for.
    NB
  • shazza
    shazza Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi
    I received my letter yesterday declining either component. I feel let down as they wrote to my gp and consultant. However i am not sure which gp completed report as it is a group practice, and I have mainly seen same 1.So if others got letter, who knows! :(
    Can I ask for copies of their reports? I have had a bad few night and don`t feel up to a fight. But thats probably what they`re hoping for.
    NB

hi
    i am not surprised at all by this,it took me 3 attempts now i get highest amount for both, keep trying and get help with the form, cab or welfare rights are really good.
    good luck
    sharon
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.

colin
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Just an update! I ahve thought about things this weekend and I was advised by the medics to apply for DLA, so if their evidence has been used to decline my application, I would like to see it. It seems what I am told by these people and what they tell DWP could differ. So I have contacted DWP and asked for copies of the evidence used, which will take 7-10 days in the post.
    I will make a decision on my next move form there.
    NB
  • kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    HI AFTER READING THAT I AM ABSOLUTLY OUTRAGED i dont know how u cannot be entitled to dla for god sake do u need to be virtually crippled these days for it? i hope ur ok and not too stressed out as i imagine u are and that will be making mr arthur worse, im so sorry pls def appeal!!! :)
  • codliness
    codliness Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello everyone who has been brave enough to apply for DLA. I considered it but decided not to because I know they won't think I'm bad enough. Its very painful to have a rejection from the DLA especially on wrong information.

I remember on the news a few years ago hearing that they were trying to get as many people off DLA as possible and no doubt that's even more the case now than it ever was.

As a recently disabled person and new parent I'm shocked at the appalling lack of care for people with arthritis (and other conditions). So much for equality.

Without DLA of course you aren't considered disabled...

best Jane
  • lozgirl101
    lozgirl101 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    just woundering if i would be able to claim daughters just been told got jia a rare joint desease
    had appoinment today before op on friday they saying she,l still be on medication after op and fluids drained off knees and steriods put in hips and knees
    i really confused bout wat i can get she can be fine one day and bad the next
    because she gets really stiff on a morning i have to get her ready just help out and her dad takes her to school and brings her home
    has walking to catch the bus in the morning can put alot of strain on her
    shes had alot of time off recently due to pain
    i spoke to the doc today said she wil be fine after operation so im very confused is it classed has a disabillty
    please help :?
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Lozgirl
    If you are needing to help her more than usual for a child of her age and have appointments to attend, I would consider it. Speak to welfare rights or CAB, or your GP. Its worth a try, but beware the form!! But CAB etc can help with that too.
    I hope she is ok on Friday xx
    NB
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I'm so sorry for you. Why, why, do you have to fight so hard for what is your right. I know mistakes happen, but from reading here it seems as if they only every say 'no' and then make you fight. I hope it all gets sorted out quickly as you don't need all this stress. Love Sue
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    I am really angry that we have another post like this again. It annoys me that we have to literally beg for help when others just seem to get it handed on a plate. With a disease like ours it should not be an issue, there is no cure, there isn't likely to be in the near future! It is bad enough as it is coming to terms with the fact that as every year passes I can do less and less and my dignity is rock bottom as it is. It also annoys me that we have to question how bad we are when you live with a disease like this you come to accept as normal all the stuff that you are unable to do (if that makes sense) therefore it is quite hard to make someone understand how bad the situation is. So much for help being there for those that need it!! :x
  • lozgirl101
    lozgirl101 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi Lozgirl
    If you are needing to help her more than usual for a child of her age and have appointments to attend, I would consider it. Speak to welfare rights or CAB, or your GP. Its worth a try, but beware the form!! But CAB etc can help with that too.
    I hope she is ok on Friday xx
    NB
    yes goin tommorrow cab se if they can fingers crossed :|