what to expect from 1st Rheumy appointment?

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 28. Feb 2009, 13:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have posted my story on the thred 'new to seronegative' so wont bore you all witht he details.

Basically I am waiting for my Rheumatologist appointment and was wondering what I should expect from my first visit.

What will it involve?

Comments

• jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, when I had my first appt, I had a full examination, bloods, and all my joints x-rayed, the Rheumy then sat down and told me what was wrong and started me on DMARDS to help sort it out, she then referred me to a Physio, Occupational Therapist, I was also given an opportunity to ask any questions that I might have, hope this helps and you get on ok love Jaspercatxx
  • averyniceman
    averyniceman Member Posts: 75
    Options
    When I had mine the doctor examined me, told me he couldn't make a diagnosis, ordered some blood tests, and told me to come back in two months.
  • mandy_b1967
    mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
    Options
    My first appointment was last wednesday. I had a full history taken, a full examination, bloods taken (lots of them) and two back xrays. I now have to go back next week for the results and hopefully a full diagnosis.
    mandy
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hiya,
    I've had several 'first' appointments with rhuemys and they've all been different. The very first one was when they diagnosed me with sero-neg arthritis by looking at my hand which was all bent and swollen. I already knew that my RF was negative hence their diagnosis. They took blood and gave all my joints a 'look-over' and done xrays but only on the visible inflammed joint. Other appts with new rhuemys usually have involved me telling them about my history, they take bloods and maybe take x-rays. I would wear clean under-wear :shock: One appt. they asked me to strip down to underwear so they could examine me and look at ranges of movement in joints. Try and tell them everything-where you get pain etc.
    Hope it goes ok when you eventually get your appointment,
    Magenta x
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Thanks everyone, my doc said he'd try and get me seen within a few weeks so hopefully wont be too long!