Infected Toe nail

Options
noeltone
noeltone Member Posts: 878
edited 3. Mar 2009, 06:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am not able to have my toes nails cut by the normal way as my GP says my long pointed nail amd my cracked one has an infection and they are like steel and ordinary cutting of them wont touch them so I need a chiropodist anyone have advice on how to get one and more importantly how much they cost I hate having my nails cut I am a big wimp as it feels like torture but they need doing????

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Chrisov
    Gp's used to refer you for chirpody didn't they? and that way it was free! I think it needs sorting quickly surely if it's infected. Mike from Ireland might know?
    Mmm I know you can just look in the yellow pages. Have no idea of the cost though. If you find out I would be interested as I think I have a verrucca - YUK!!
    Hope otherwise you are ok
    Take care
    Toni x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Noeltone you should ask your Rheumy nurse to refer you and you should get free treatment because of your medical circumstances. I would contact them to ask. However you might need to get shut of the infection before they touch your nails.
    Take care
    Colin
  • noeltone
    Options
    I regularly had them done at my surgery but now that facilty has been withdrawn for whatever reasons so i will ask my reheumy nurse about hospital treatment before I pay anyhow i never paid at surgery but it seems such free things are being cut no pun about my nails intended and we are being expected to pay for more treatment ????
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Chrisov, I had my feet done at the hospital podiatrist which was free, the only problem being that they had many patients to see and it wasn't easy to get an appt, I now pay a private chiropist who comes to my home, it costs about £30 per session but I personally don't mind, at the hospital they admitted to giving priority to pensioners not those with arthur love Jaspercatxx
  • noeltone
    Options
    Hi jaspercat that sounds reasonable anyway my toes have got worse and have some more phalagintis and inflammation in them with swelling and have been to A and E condition not helped by infection caused by rheumatics of course what joy skin inflamed with rash anyway got some anti b's let them work then i will see about another chiropdist never rains but pours
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    This sounds very painful auch!!!! :( I used to go to the chropidist. Quite often as my feet are a problem with callouses and hard toe nails ect. I had a recommendation from a friend. It cost about £25 to £30 pounds, I can't remember exactley, sorry.

Here, in Norfolk, the NHS only see diabetics and people with medical needs, but that doesn't cover everyone. Also their is a long waiting list. Even ill elderly people have to pay privatley. But if its worth finding out from your doctors surgery if its possible for you, as you have an infection, it should be possible to get NHS care, I would think. Hope it clears up soon, it sounds painful! :x Love Sue
  • noeltone
    Options
    Hi woodbon iam in Norwich also i dont mind paying £25 to £30 pounds i did have it done with my surgery but this is now a prob and have been refered to N and N but as you and others say a long wait and then diabetics first and elderly next if at all and at A and E they did not mention it but I must wait they said until infection is better the trouble is the nail is long, strong and catching now and it feels wobbly i must have stumped it or something as well bathing it in warm water is soothing do you see rheumy at N and N if so is he she any good???
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Chrisov,

sorry to hear about your toes ....... my mother-in-law has a visiting Chiropodist who calls to the house. I don't know how much he charges her, but comes fairly regularly as she is diabetic and arthritic, so doubly important for her to be careful.

before she used to go to the hospital once a year (!!!) but they stopped that, and she has to pay - they don't offer it at all, even to diabetic patients where she is. :x :x

I think she just looked in the yellow pages.

Could you ask the local AC branches if they know anyone who visits and who has an understanding of arthur too? Just a thought.

take carexxxxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I have been discharged by the Rheumatology at N&N as he thought it would get me an appointment with Neurology quicker!!! I worked. My Gp re-referred me, all to do with polotics and targets. Yes they are OK, but not wonderful! I had problems with communications between hospitlal and GP, ie none. My GP had to ring in the end and ask for information.

As for my feet, I went to Mulbarton. Love Sue[/quote]
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Chrisov,

I was referred to my podiatrist by my GP when I had an infected bunion (nice :shock: ) and they kept me on afterwards because I can't cut my own toenails due to my RA - I thought arthritics were a priority. Even when the podiatrists had to cut down of their lists I was kept on because of my RA. What about asking your GP outright to refer you to a NHS podiatrist now that they don't do it at your surgery any longer.

Failing that I would look in yellow pages and ring around asking for different prices.

In the meantime you may find it a relief to soak your toe in hot water with a teaspoonful of salt in (possibly ought to check with your GP nurse first) - we did this when my eldest son's toenail became infected and it cleared up without antibiotics.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope you are all as well as it is possible to be, had a terrible night last night, I was sitting up in the front room until 2.30am and then laid in bed awake until 5am, I am on Amitriptylline and Tramadol still couldn't sleep. Finally dropped off at 5am and awoke at 7am to feed the cat, totally shattered today, so will have an early night tonight, hopefully to sleep love Jaspercatxx
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    Options
    hi,ive been waiting to see a podiatrist since oct last year my GP refered me.my little toes are infected with a fungas,the nails look like big thick clumps of something dont even look like nails.my gp cut them for me i felt like they were coming off.he said he dosent want to perscribe me anything as it could affect my liver,as im taking leflunomide.he told me to ask my rheumy if it was ok to perscribe the medication the next time i see him.so im left with painfull deformed toe nails. :(
  • noeltone
    Options
    Hi redpoppy ditto on the nails not being like nails and so wiggly but hard as rock to cut thanks for all the suggestions i have found a chiro to go to dont mind paying quickest choice as they need seeing to as i cant bend to do them all the best to you all
  • annalisa
    annalisa Member Posts: 21
    Options
    i think only diabetics get it for nothing they do here in sussex i have good feet but get ingrowing toe nails i can have them removed at the hospital but prefer to go to the chrop about 3 times a year they check out any other problems as well, bathe your feet in as hot as you can bear water with lots of salt very soothing even if you are taking antibiotics annalisa x