fastening clothes

Options
susbrick22yahoocouk
susbrick22yahoocouk Member Posts: 21
edited 1. Mar 2009, 12:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello everyone
I have a prob pulling up my trousers especially if they have a tight elastic waistband but I am also unable to fasten zips and buttons.
Does anyone recommend anywhere I can buy trousers that maybe have velcro fastening and not too expensive.

The other prob is when I go to dentist I have a problem opening my mouth wide for him to do anything, if I have to have fillings or anything like that in future will I have to go to hospital to have treatment. Anyone else had this prob?

sue

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 178
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your problems, Sue.

I hope someone some lets you know where you can get Velcro fastening trousers. Is there any chance of having someone alter a pair of trousers for you, replacing the zip with Velcro, it should not be that hard to do. I used to have to alter my grandfathers trousers from zip to button ups, the process would be more or less the same.

All the best
    Badger
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, if someone is good with a needle, Velcro is the stuff you want. We did my Mums skirts when she had problems with Motor Neurone and she found it a great help. :) Love Sue
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    hi susbrick
    Well the velkro seems to be the best idea and you see the elasticated pants in most Sunday papers.
    Button and zip fasteners / undoers can be found on ebay quite cheap. you might also try them for the pants.
    Take Care
    Colin

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.
  • madgirlzzz
    madgirlzzz Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi, don't know if you would be able but speak to your doctor and see if you can be refered to an OT, they can give you advive on 'stuff' that may be able to help you with buttons and zips.
    Gayle xx
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    Know I shouldn't but your post made me giggle, because I have the same problem. Am glad there's only the two of us here because my husband has to help me; he pulls them up so hard he lifts me off the ground and nearly cuts me in half in the process - makes my eyes water. When my hands will do it, I'm going to machine down the elastic, and machine some Velcro on, so that the front of my trousers will just open like a flap. Hope it doesn't happen unannounced, in a restaurant for instance! I'd die of shame.

OT came and gave me all sorts of things to help, including a button fastener. As folk have already said, speak to you GP or Rheumy Nurse - as my mum says ... those who don't ask, don't get.
    Jeannie S
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Sue,

I can do zips now because my son made me a zip puller-upper. All you need is a short piece of dowell (rounded wood) about as long as a ice lolly stick and then screw a small hook into the end and you should be able to do it.

If you don't want to go to that trouble tie a piece of pretty ribbon onto your zip with a loop for your fingers and this too should help.

Button fasteners can be supplied by an OT or bought from most mobility shops or ordered from disability catalogues.

Then you should be able to wear conventional trousers if ever you get fed up with velcro or elastic tops.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'