New User

Options
lorraines
lorraines Member Posts: 77
edited 6. Mar 2009, 15:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Have just plucked up the courage to join the forum I'm hoping to pick up hints and tips for managing my PA. I'm currently on weekly injections of methetexate ,have steriod injections as ofter as I am allowed and take pain killers daily but I am still struggling to get pain under control, don't know what is worse the pain or the fatique, anyway I would really appreciate any advice especially as I work full time and strugggle at work and feel I can't tell my employers incase I loose my job,

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lorraines
    Just a quick hi, it's a good site and someone will be along soon who can help you. I'm self employed and less I sack my self I am safe and I only have OA for sure so not much help to you I'm afraid but there are a lot of people on here and I'm sure you'll find it a great help. Take care :)
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Lorraines
    Welcome to the site. You will get great support here, even if , like me, we can't answer your question. It is nice to know that you are not alone, and there will be people who can advise you. You can also try the Helpline to ask questions or speak to someone on the phone. I have found this very helpful.
    All the best
    Joan :)
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • badger
    badger Member Posts: 178
    Options
    Welcome to the site, Lorraines.

There are many people who will be able to help you and this site. However, I cannot as it is my partner that is afflicted. The helpline teams are very good and are on Monday to Friday.

All the best
    Badger
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello and nice to meet you!

I have OA myself, so can't help at the moment, but lots of others come on site and someone, lots probabley will have experience of your problems. Love Sue
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi
    I was diagnosed with PA 3yrs ago and am currently on 20mg MTX and like you in constant pain although my rhemy now thinks i have Fibro as wel. What symptoms do you have and where is the worst pain. Mine is in my knees and ankles my thumb on my right hand is sausage like with bad psoriosis in the nail. I struggle most days with the pain and find my ankles and hip do not want to work after been sat for a period of time.
    Sorry i cant give you any tips with pain but would love to hear how your effected with your pa.
    Michelle
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Lorrain
    Just a welcome to the site and glad you got up the nerve to join. you meet lots of nice helpful people. I suffer with PA and RA and i'm also on the MTX along with other stuff. Anyway i'm glad you found us and i'll no doubt catch you round the site.
    colin

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    lorraines wrote:
    I work full time and struggle at work and feel I can't tell my employers in case I lose my job

You should not have to struggle at work and in time your employer will probably find out you are disabled. The Disability Discrimination Act was bought in to cover just this situation, click on this link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/YourEmploymentRights/DG_4001071 for a short guide to the DDA.

You should also speak to someone for more advice and help. Phone the FREE Arthritis Care confidential helpline. The number is at the top of this page. :D:D:D It is there for you to use.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • lorraines
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Lorraines
    Just a quick hi, it's a good site and someone will be along soon who can help you. I'm self employed and less I sack my self I am safe and I only have OA for sure so not much help to you I'm afraid but there are a lot of people on here and I'm sure you'll find it a great help. Take care :)
    Thanks for the kind reply it's just nice to be able to share experiences with people who are going through the same thing :D
  • lorraines
    Options
    I just want to thank everyone who replied to my first post i really appreciate all your replies I was having a bad day and feeling a bit sorry for myself if I'm being truthful :D but am feeling a bit better and will respond to you all personally but it is nice to know that people took the time to reply
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    just wanted to say hello and i hope you find this site as helpful and supportive as i have nice meeting you from joanne
    Joanne
  • lorraines
    Options
    Shell wrote:
    Hi
    I was diagnosed with PA 3yrs ago and am currently on 20mg MTX and like you in constant pain although my rhemy now thinks i have Fibro as wel. What symptoms do you have and where is the worst pain. Mine is in my knees and ankles my thumb on my right hand is sausage like with bad psoriosis in the nail. I struggle most days with the pain and find my ankles and hip do not want to work after been sat for a period of time.
    Sorry i cant give you any tips with pain but would love to hear how your effected with your pa.
    Michelle
    Hi Michelle lovely to hear from you I don't think my PA sounds as bad as yours I have bad inflamation in my right wrist which makes it difficult being right handed it also affects my thumb and all my joints on the right hand as well it also effects my hips knee shoulders and even my Jaw but the pain is not constant there and my I laughingly call it my shrapnel pain as it can strike any of my other joints on diffrent days it has taken me 10 years to be diagnosed because to start with it was not constant pain every day I finally was diagnosed just over a year ago when I finally got treatment my psoriasis is quite clear the 1st time for 30 years .do you find mornings and evenings worst? it takes till dinner time to get my hand / wrist moving then starts to ache again before bed whenI am unwinding would love to hear how your doing :)
  • lorraines
    Options
    lorraines wrote:
    I work full time and struggle at work and feel I can't tell my employers in case I lose my job

You should not have to struggle at work and in time your employer will probably find out you are disabled. The Disability Discrimination Act was bought in to cover just this situation, click on this link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/YourEmploymentRights/DG_4001071 for a short guide to the DDA.

You should also speak to someone for more advice and help. Phone the FREE Arthritis Care confidential helpline. The number is at the top of this page. :D:D:D It is there for you to use.

Joseph 8)
    thanks will check it out :D
  • lorraines
    Options
    just wanted to say hello and i hope you find this site as helpful and supportive as i have nice meeting you from joanne
    HI joanne thanks for taking the time to reply look forward to chatting to you from time to time :D
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Lorraine
    I think I missed you when you first posted as I was in hospital for a hip replacement. I have OA and hip dysplasia, so not the same as you but can understand pain which can strike just when you really don`t need it! I hope you find the site as supportive as I do, it has really helped me through the past few months.
    NB