Ooh! Me back!

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 16. Mar 2009, 15:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya,
My back is now really, really sore. I last had this about 15yrs ago! It started yesterday with something 'pinging' on my right side and now I've got a terrible pain in my left. When I make a sudden little movement, I get a jolting, sharp pain in my left side. Now when I sit, I have the sharp pain in my backside :shock: and over my lower back. I've tried heat (don't like cold-packs) and my Tens machine is broken :( I'm going to have to sit in a hot bath tonight. Any other advice?
Magenta x

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Magenta,
    This is a very tentative 'sounds like' thing I saying so it may not be remotely right..... With both your posts I think you may have 2 separate things.

The pins and needles, numbness thing would probably be coming from your back, neck or shoulders and what you described here kinda sounds more like a muscular/ tendon thing. As Toni says you need to rest it for a bit, try and find a comfortable position and stay in it a while.

Because what you do with the 2 things are different I think you may be ought to talk either to your GP or the NHSdirect line and follow their advice. With your other post you said you were having a bit of 'resistance' to your medicine giving and it could well be you have pulled something. That needs resting while aggro from bones sometimes needs gentle exercise.

I don't know if this is very helpful, but it would be best to find out which it is for sure but your symptoms above are more like a pulled muscle/tendon thing.

I hope it soon settles down, Take care, Cris x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Ho Magenta
    My back went just like that last summer,for no apparent reason. I wasn't aware of straining it in any way, but the pain was exactly as you describe and I could hardly walk. I just kept taking Paracetamol, maximum dose, and trying to rest it. Also, I put a hot water bottle next to it. After about 5 days of awful pain, it started to ease off,and thankfully hasn't returned. I guess yours is muscular or to do with ligaments/tendons as I think mine must have been.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • magenta
    Options
    Thanks all,
    I've been trying to keep mobile and not sit for too long-I'll just have to grin and bear it :?
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry you're in so much pain. What the others say sounds right to me. Sometimes rest is best. :(

Years ago, a friend of mine 'did her back' just bending and could'nt move. In a panic, she asked her 5 year old to help, she went away, supposed to get someone, and came back in her nurses outfit! :D Sorry, not funny when you'r suffering. Take care. Love Sue :)
  • magenta
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi,
    Sorry you're in so much pain. What the others say sounds right to me. Sometimes rest is best. :(

Years ago, a friend of mine 'did her back' just bending and could'nt move. In a panic, she asked her 5 year old to help, she went away, supposed to get someone, and came back in her nurses outfit! :D Sorry, not funny when you'r suffering. Take care. Love Sue :)

Hi Sue,
    It was funny-and sweet!
    I can just about cope with all my other aches and pains just now but this is so debilitating(sp?)!
    Thanks,
    Magenta x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Magenta,
    Back pains are horrible as they radiate into so many other areas. The shooting pains into your backside, sound like possible trapped nerves. I know you say don`t like cold packs, but if there is swelling causing trapped nerves, alternating hot and hot should give some relief and rest!
    If it doesn`t improve maybe your doc could prescribe something to help with muscle spasms. I had upper back problem, which comes and goes, and when that goes into spasm its awful, affecting arms, neck etc.. Diazepam helped me.
    Take care
    NB