First walk outside since THR

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 25. Mar 2009, 04:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have been confined indoors since my op 3 weeks ago. For mobility reasons and due to having chicken pox!
Anyway, today was sunny again, and enough is enough, I had to go out! My mum as chaperone I ventured slowly up the street, which is slightly uphill. I had a dizzy spell for a bit, probably all that oxygen!!! I didn`t have pain as such which is good, but some discomfort in groin area when going uphill and discomfort on outside of thigh when coming down. But its a start!!
I have physio tomorrow, so I will find out what else I can do.
My other hip has been sore and cracky, and my back is achey, but I expected that (I need surgery to other hip in future), I hope this will improve when I can sleep on my side instead of my back.
If there is anyone out there who has had this op before, could you advise when you are ok to drive? I keep finding conflicting info, not that I am thinking of doing any driving yet, don`t worry you are safe on the roads , yet!
NB

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,
    CONGRATULATIONS :D , I bet that felt strange but, great to get outside the door. Just be careful and don't do too much! Take care, Love Sue :D
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hello,
    CONGRATULATIONS :D , I bet that felt strange but, great to get outside the door. Just be careful and don't do too much! Take care, Love Sue :D

Hi Sue
    thanks, everyone keeps saying that to me. `Don`t do too much!` but to me it feels like I`m hanging back. I am ready for the off, in my head, just need the legs to catch up!! :lol:
    Nicola
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 16. Mar 2009, 15:14
    Options
    Hi Nicola,
    Well done for getting out and about. Just take it a little at a time :wink:

Magenta x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hello nearlybionic
    Well done to you and what a nice day you picked for it.
    Wont be long now before your racing round the block. Sorry to hear you had the chicken pox as you never had enough to cope with. I'm glad to hear your on the mend and feeling a bit better, hope all goes well with your appointment
    Colin
  • scorpiojackie
    scorpiojackie Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi nearlybionic,

Glad you are doing well and venturing outside, feels good doesn't it :)

I had my right hip resurfaced last June. I was told that my car insurance would not be covered if I drove without my surgeons approval. This is generally given on your 6 week post op check up. At my 6 week check, surgeon said I could try when I felt ready.... but to make sure that I could perform an emergency stop. He suggested that I try the action whilst on my drive.
    Don't know if this helps at all?

Enjoy this weather :)
    Jackie
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi NB
    Well Done on your first steps outside after your op. now that you have had the worst hip done is a major step forward. take it easy and look after yourself, one step at a time as they say.
    Denise
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Thanks Jackie
    I thought I would have to wait until seen by consultant, if I`m honest. I need to drive for my job, and work have been making enquiries about when I will be back. How have you found the resurfacing?
    NB
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Nicola, well done, just don't do too much too soon. As for your lightheadedness this is probably due to the loss of blood during the op making it a little more difficult for your blood to oxygenate just now. I;m not smart lol, it's what the nurse has just told me following my op.
    Keep up the good work, you have obviously got a very positive attitude. Linda
  • scorpiojackie
    scorpiojackie Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, really good job done... love my new hip. Wish Id had it done earlier and not had to suffer all those pre- op pains & spasms for so long. :roll:
    Although you cant rush the recovery, the body has taken a lot of trauma and will take whatever time it needs to mend.

Sadly I have not returned to work. Although the hip was resurfaced due to osteo & has been a success, I also have PA and this has flared in nearly everypart of my body.
    Im having problems getting it under control again. :x At the moment it is my hands, wrists,arms & jaw that are on the 'priority list' for my attentions.... with left ankle, achilles heel & left hip trying to challenge for number one slot! lol. I wish arthur would go on its hols for a while!!!

Jackie
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    well done you little at a time as they say , it would not have happened so quick if it was a few weeks ago when we had all the snow ,so on that point you had it done at the right time , geep it up , xxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Well my body is complaining this morning! I sleep quite well, but my muscles are screaming today! Maybe I`ll have a lean mean body by the end of all this? (I don`t think so!) My other hip feels like I want someone to pull my leg to make it crack, strange I know. :?
    I hope that hip gives me a bit of time to enjoy mobility before it starts again with pain etc. I have probably put it under a bit of strain these past months though.
    I am looking forward to seeing the physio today.
    NB
  • ikesother
    ikesother Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi NB,
    Well done to you on your first outdoor stroll, you picked a nice day for it. Lets hope the nice weather stays a while, you seem to be doing very well, I think your positive thinking will spur you on, good luck jk 8)
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi nearlybionic first of all well done on your progress after my THR i was indoors for about 6 weeks having physio etc and drove again after about 3 months but that was not out of neccesity but it felt right to do it at that point chrisov
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Nearly bionic
    Congatulations on your progress from me too!
    You are doing so well!
    You'll be back driving before you know it :wink:
    Take care
    Toni x
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi and well done for getting out and about, I'm sure I heard somewhere it's like a C Section, 6 weeks until you are fit to drive but I could be wrong. After having 2 sections I know how hard it is just wanting to be out and about getting back to normality. You feel so cooped up. Just take it easy, try walking a little further each day but stop if you have too much pain. I think it's wonderful you've managed to get out, hopefully things will improve soon. Take care, Alex x
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Alex
    I had 2 sections too! And silly me broke my foot a couple of weeks after being able to drive again when my son was a baby, meaning no driving for another 8 weeks! You realise how much you rely on the car!
    I had physio today, and she gave me some more exercises to do to build up my muscles again. I also need to get out of the habit of lifting my hip up when walking, which I did for so long before due to pain and my leg being shorter when my head of femur went up into my pelvis! I am going to walk a little bit further each day, not pushing it too far too soon though. As she said, you`ve gone through a lot to get this new hip, so it`s not worth risking damaging it. :shock:
    Nicola
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nicola,
    Glad your taking it sensible as it is silly to over do things and you've ad the complication of chicken pox to make it worse. Everything takes time to settle back down and as it settles so you will find your walking better without thinking about it. Just watch the hills and steps when your out and about.
    Glad the suns out for you though,
    Take care, Cris
  • Jeannie
    Jeannie Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi Nicola,
    I've been feeling rubbish, so I've hid for a while - so I'm late adding my best wishes and saying glad it's all over and you seem to be recovering well.
    Take it steady and I wish you 'back on your feet' soon
    Jeannie S
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Jeannie
    Sorry you`ve not been good recently. I hope things pick up soon.
    I have been a bit silly today and overdone it. My daughter had an appointment at the hospital, and I went too. I was so relieved to be out and about that I walked too much and I feel yuk tonight.
    My own fault and I will have to rest ++ tomorrow.
    Take care
    Nicola
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Hi

I'm still keeping an eye on your posts, fingers crossed I'll be going through the same in a few weeks time so it's great to see what progress you're making.
    Take care and let's hope the sun keeps shining. 8)

Rita X
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Rita
    Have you got a date for your op yet? If you want to PM me please do.
    I have had a few down days, feeling fed up with being stuck at home, but I had a good walk yesterday with my ipod on and it has really helped! It was a month since my THR yesterday, and I have another month before I see my surgeon again for follow up. The groin pain is much better, I get some muscular aches especially after exercise/walking but this is probably due to using muscles which I haven`t used for ages. Also the muscles are repairing after the surgery too.
    I would definately recommend the op to anyone who is experiencing the awful debilitating pain caused by arthritis in the hip. But be realistic about how long the recovery and rehab takes. I think I was expecting too much too soon, but am starting to understand it now. :roll:
    NB
  • ritnew
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks that's all really helpful. No date yet, I was amazed at how fast it all goes these days, within 11 weeks and as soon as 7 weeks away. I could of had my pre op thing yesterday, whatever that is but that dept was closed as my appointment was a late one.
    In a way it was lucky that my pain was at it's worst and I didn't have to explain how bad it can be. At first the dr was going to give me 3 months to think about it and lose some weight but after he'd seen the new xray I had he said he'd put me on the list straight away and said I had to try and lose a bit of weight between now and then, which I have been doing without any effort anyway as the meds I take and the fact I can't do much leaves me with little or no appetite.
    Thanks to you and this site I don't have any illusions about running the marathon this year, but hey who knows what next year will bring, :lol: Like you I just hope my other hip holds out a little longer so I can enjoy a little quality time.

Rita X
  • ritnew
    Options
    P.S.
    Many mixed emotions as well, I do feel very strange. On the one hand very excited at getting rid of the pain but also worried and frightened about having such major surgery.
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Rita
    I have lost about a stone in past 6 months as I too have lees of an appetite, but hey I`m not complaining! I still need to lose more and am hoping that I will be able to walk a bit more and help that.
    The pre op assessment is tests such as blood, urine to rule out any infections etc.., blood pressure, xrays to set markers for leg length, paper work, medical history re previous surgery or other medical conditions. I was told that when I had had my pre op`s done my surgery needed to be within 12 weeks or they would need to be repeated in case things had changed.
    You will go through lots of emotions before your op, nerves, fear, excitement, etc.. and that is all normal. I have found that the whole process is an emotional rollercoaster, not just a physical thing. I found the people on here fantastic as a support beforte my op and still now.
    Take care.
    NB
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Great to read about your progress - hope things continue to improve and thanks for your support to others on this forum including me!

Wendy