argh fingers on the move

Options
gemmapetken
gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
edited 19. Mar 2009, 04:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi have been diagnosed with RA in hands, hips and knees.

In the last four days my middle and ring fingers seem to be moving! They seem to be twisting round (kinda facing the other ones) and seem to be curving aswell. They are so painful. Is this what happens with RA? Will they go back to normal? At the joint (secong finger joint, not knuckle) seems to be pushed out, is this a node?

Freaking out, they seem to move day by day!!
HELP

Gemma

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gemma

I am sorry to hear about the deterioration in your hands.

I suggest you see an occupational therapist. They can prescribe/custom-make a splint for you which you wear during the day and night to prevent your hands from further deterioration. The OT can provide you with exercises to help the hands function to the best of their ability and teach you how to use heat, cold, and other treatments for pain relief. Ask your gp or rheumy for a referral for occupational therapy. If he/she will not, find a gp who will. Most major hospitals provide Occupational Therapy.

Therapy won't stop the actual disease progression, but if your fingers aren't too contracted yet, splints, exercise, and other therapy treatments can be of great benefit.

I wish you well,

Luv
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi Gemma, sorry things are so bad just now, as Elna advises I would get appointment with OT. I have OA and I got splints for my hands, day and night ones which are a tremendous help with the pain. In your case it would also help to minimise the changes you are seeing happen to your hands. Hope things get better soon. Linda
  • gemmapetken
    Options
    thanks

I will try and talk to the rhuemy nurse today, dont know if she can get me an appointment.

Gemma
  • gemmapetken
    Options
    hi
    just a quick question... is this serious enough to ring up the rheumy nurse and speak to her?

My next appointment is in may. It seems worse in the afternoon.

Gemma :P
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    hi
    just a quick question... is this serious enough to ring up the rheumy nurse and speak to her?

My next appointment is in may. It seems worse in the afternoon.

Gemma :P

Hi Gemma

Yes, I think so. That is what the nurse is there for. Give her a call. May is a long time to wait if you are worried about your health and in pain too.

Luv
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.