Dieting!

Options
madgirlzzz
madgirlzzz Member Posts: 32
edited 29. May 2009, 10:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I have been dieting since the new year, everyone in my slimming group seems to be losing more than me! I wondered if it may be my medication slowing this down! i take methatrexate and humira as well as few others for all the side effects! Would love to know all your views?? please?
Gillien xx

Comments

• kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi chick im same as u been dieting my mate looses pound a week and ive stayed the smae for 3 weeks in a row?? even been swimming and that, i would like to know does our meds play a part in this ? x :lol:
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi Gillien,

I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I havent actually started any meds yet, but I see my rheumy today so expect to start off on something!

In October I started on the Weight Watchers Programme and have lost 2 stone :) but I still want to lose more (although I don't see this as a diet more a life change). So I will also be interested to see if other folk think the meds stop them losing weight or even worse make them put weight on :shock:

Jackie x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I lost about a stone before Christmas, but but on 71bs over the holidays :oops: It is gradually going but not as quickly as it came :x :)

In your case, maybe your friends are more physically active than you? Or you may just be one of those people who have a slower matabolism. :roll: Anyway having arther is a good excuse for taking longer than your friend - and we are all different so it may just be its takeing you longer, but you'll get their in the end!!! :) Love Sue
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I am on MXT and also some water tablets for blood pressure, somehow I have lost 6 stone, and the weight is still coming off, but I am not sure why, my Rheumy says weight loss is not a side effect of MXT but it makes me wonder, hope this helps love Jaspercatxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I read somewhere that when RA is out of control it can make you feel less hungry. Once meds start to control RA you feel better in yourself and start to eat more. Perhaps it is down to doing some exercise as well as eating more healthily.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi, I haven't noticed any difference with my drugs but I have OA, my problem is motivation, I just can't seem to get motivated these days.
  • ramummy
    ramummy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi there, I'm trying to diet while on prednisolone and MTX too - I have a couple of stone (at least!!) to lose in baby weight - I'm finding it tough too. :oops:

My main problem is my appetite which I've been (maybe unfairly!) blaming on the MTX and prednisolone.

I'm having a go at Weight Watchers core plan having dug out the books from my 1st pregnancy - I don't think they even do this any more at classes but I'm going to have a go!
  • lynnemarie
    lynnemarie Member Posts: 37
    Options
    hi

I work for weight watchers, and they dont do the core plan anymore, however the new discovery plan is all about points but using them on filling foods!, so i guess its the best of both worlds, i know the plan works as i weigh loads of people each week who are doing really well and are at goal!!

However since i was diagnosed dec 07, i was around my goal weight, in 2008 i didnt really concentrate on the plan, felt far too sorry for myself been diagnosed, was told not to do any activity that might make my condition worse!!, subsequently my weight rose!, i am on sulpha - which i have read a side effect can be weight loss, not for me though! - typical!! :lol:
    i am now over a stone what i was at the same time last year, i have been v good tracked etc, worked out to personal trainer on the Wii, but no results - in fact it keeps going on and on!, not sure if i am having a flare cause i feel so poo at the moment, my blood results are all over the place!! - I JUST WANT TO BE NORMAL AGAIN!!
    Ok, rant over with!!

take care

xxx :cry:
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Yes the meds do not help, some do put weight on you. I have just started the W8 diet, it's a VLCD as I was weighing in at 15 and half stone, too much pressure for my knees, but snce taking the Humira I am feeling much fitter and want to walk more, but the weightis killing me, anyway I'm on day 4 today of the diet, and weighed myself this morning and I am down to 15 stone, so really pleased, I have lost a stone in a week before on this diet, but gave up. I'm really determined this time, and it's thanks to the Humira really giving me the boost, as I am not as stiff and moving much more freely. Good Luck to you all. If you want to look at the diet here's the site, it's not for everyone, but I think this is for me. www.allaboutw8.com
    :D
  • gloria028
    gloria028 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi all
    I am ALWAYS on a diet for my OA
    I am about 2 stones over my ideal weight
    I walk for half an hour every day and do range of movement excercices morning and night
    I find the drugs i am on make it very difficult
    I am on anti-inflamatories HRT and anti -depressants all which make it harder to loose weight
    My problem is sugar addiction really - I do really well then just blow it on chocolate or cake biscuits and puddings
    I can loose if i stick rigidly to a 1000 cal diet - but believe me that is not much food and even at that i only loose at the rate of approx 1-2 lbs a week and sometimes stand still

Question - does loss of weigh REALLY help the pain in knees hips and lower back ?
    I am fed up of dieting and life is hard enough without never being able to eat nice food, so i wonder is it worth the effort
    Any comments anyone?
  • ruthmc
    ruthmc Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi
    Glad to know that there are loads of us trying to lose weight. I tried the Scarsdale Medical diet for 2 weeks, so so Hard !! :( but did lose a few lbs. But nothing nice to eat. Just trying to cut down. Has anyone found a chocolate and biscuit diet?? Ruthmc x
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    gloria028 wrote:
    Hi all
    I walk for half an hour every day and do range of movement excercices morning and night
    I am on anti-inflamatories HRT and anti -depressants all which make it harder to loose weight
    My problem is sugar addiction really - I do really well then just blow it on chocolate or cake biscuits and puddings
    I can loose if i stick rigidly to a 1000 cal diet - but believe me that is not much food and even at that i only loose at the rate of approx 1-2 lbs a week and sometimes stand still

Question - does loss of weigh REALLY help the pain in knees hips and lower back ?
    I am fed up of dieting and life is hard enough without never being able to eat nice food, so i wonder is it worth the effort
    Any comments anyone?

I'm sorry you're having trouble losing weight. I do think losing weight helps joints as they're carrying around less weight so it's less pressure for them. I don't think I've ever heard of a theory which disagrees.

I'm one of those annoying lucky people who have a high metabolism - I never used to but for some reason it's sped up since I've had kids? I am overweight, my BMI is about 26-27, and I could do with losing about 1 stone, but I know I've put the weight on gradually because I just eat a lot of junk food. When I cut that out, I start losing weight.

I've discovered the Wii Fit which is excellent for me because I like having a guide telling me what to do all the time when exercising. It also weighs me whenever I want and tells me my BMI (I've lost a pound in the last 3 days). I'm not doing a lot, only 10-15 minutes a day, but I didn't do anything before so it's obviously made a difference.

But what we really need to do is change our habits for good to keep the weight off for good. It's not good going on a "diet", losing the weight and then going back to old eating habits, you'll just put the weight back on.

I don't know the effects of medication on weight, but it seems like a lot of people on here are struggling and I really sympathise. When I used to have asthma, the steriods would make me hungry ALL DAY. It's crazy, isn't it?

Little but often, that's my motto. Eating regularly, rather than waiting till you're starving actually increases your metabolic weight.

Sorry to prattle on, but I could write books on this subject :-)
  • kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    hi scottish lass scary my bmi is 30 ive lost a stone but need to loose 2 more ideally been asking about adios slimming pills herbal only just need something to kick a extra pound off here and there lol. hope ur ok and well at mo x
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    gloria028 wrote:
    Hi all

Any comments anyone?

I'm sorry you're having trouble losing weight. I do think losing weight helps joints as they're carrying around less weight so it's less pressure for them. I don't think I've ever heard of a theory which disagrees.

I'm one of those annoying lucky people who have a high metabolism - I never used to but for some reason it's sped up since I've had kids? I am overweight, my BMI is about 26-27, and I could do with losing about 1 stone, but I know I've put the weight on gradually because I just eat a lot of junk food. When I cut that out, I start losing weight.

I've discovered the Wii Fit which is excellent for me because I like having a guide telling me what to do all the time when exercising. It also weighs me whenever I want and tells me my BMI (I've lost a pound in the last 3 days). I'm not doing a lot, only 10-15 minutes a day, but I didn't do anything before so it's obviously made a difference.

But what we really need to do is change our habits for good to keep the weight off for good. It's not good going on a "diet", losing the weight and then going back to old eating habits, you'll just put the weight back on.

I don't know the effects of medication on weight, but it seems like a lot of people on here are struggling and I really sympathise. When I used to have asthma, the steriods would make me hungry ALL DAY. It's crazy, isn't it?

Little but often, that's my motto. Eating regularly, rather than waiting till you're starving actually increases your metabolic weight.

Sorry to prattle on, but I could write books on this subject :-)

Hello Ninaking
    I hate this word called 'diet' Straight away I get stressed and my BP goes up.
    When I had to start steroids, I toldmy GP I was scared about the way they made youlook. They do make you hundry. 'Nonsence' he said, because he was on them because he had PMR like me. That was the reason I had to start. It is will power. That 'thing all will power' I said. I only have to look at biscuits and I put on weight. I don't have to eat them

I have three good days when I stick to small servings and I say no to puddings, cakes the lot, then something just takes over and I have to eat everything in sight. Bang goes the diet. I am at least 3 stone overweight and hate myself.

I can't walk very far and you need to walk at least 35 miles to lose a lb and I cannot exercise apart from an exercise ball, because of my joints being so sore. It's a catch 22 situation.

I've just come back from a painting session and my friend there has just lost 10lb on the Rosemary Connelly regime. You know, I think I will give it a go. Just losing that amount would do me good.

The exercises on her plan are not too bad. I'll let you know how I get on

Joyful
  • katykat
    katykat Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I had lost 2 stones with Weight Watchers and got my gold membership. When I started being unwell with Spinal Stenosis and ? FM my weight kept on dropping and went to 8 stones! I had never been that weight since my teens.!! Long story short I start on diclofenac, dosulepin and Pregabalin and my weight is creeping back. I really really don't want to go back to my pre goal weight. I keep looking at my old WW stuff and trying to track my intake but I can't keep on top of things. Being vegetarian doesn't help because my low fat options are limited - and weight watchers put gelatine in all their deserts! :cry::cry::cry:
  • alibongo
    alibongo Member Posts: 24
    Options
    HI

I am also trying to lose weight, I have joined tesco diets and have lost 4 lb in two weeks. Have been on diets in past though and have lost more than this in the first weeks. I don't think it is the plan's fault though as the food is very healthy and being a dieter for most of my life :oops: know it is low in fat and calories.

It is harder to lose weight now don't know if it the meds or just that I can't do as much exercise, I work full time and am very overworked and stressed at the moment :(:( and I don't think that helps as I read somewhere that stress can stop you losing weight.
    I'll just have to keep plodding on and hopefully it might come off eventually. :!: :!:

Alison
  • dean76
    dean76 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    I forgot about the painrelief making you hungry. Im on a Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free diet and the amount of sugar they put in the 'allergen free foods' to improve the taste is incredible. 2 slices of bread is apparently 3/4 of a days weight watchers points. So will have to be more careful thanks for reminding me.

Ive found farelys GF baby rusks the best alternative for snacking! :D

What do others snack on?

Dean76 xx
  • ninakang
    Options
    I'm going to "refresh" this topic because it looks like there's a lot of ladies on this site who need to talk more about this subject (obviously, I'm not making assumptions about anyone's weight because I haven't seen you).

Yes, it does take walking 35 miles or something to lose 1 pound but you can split exercise into smaller chunks, just moving about a bit more than you usually do will make a difference. I was fortunate enough to win a Wii Fit and trampoline for the garden recently so when my joints aren't too bad, I try to do that most days. I haven't lost any weight but a lot of people have said I look slimmer so maybe I'm toning up?

With regards to eating, I know it's hard when you feel hungry all the time but you could change what you eat when you want to snack. Like snack on fruit or vegetable sticks when you're hungry instead of reaching for the biscuits (this doesn't always work, I know).

I find that drinking two litres of water a day really helps too - a lot of the time we're thirsty, not hungry, and a glass of water really helps. If you try to eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day too, that's really your diet sorted. I have 3 pieces of fruit in the morning and a glass of fruit juice (=4) and then try to have either a side salad with lunch or dinner or a serving of veg with the same. I've kept this up for a good couple of years now.

Hope this helps

Nx
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    dean76 wrote:
    I forgot about the painrelief making you hungry. Im on a Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free diet and the amount of sugar they put in the 'allergen free foods' to improve the taste is incredible. 2 slices of bread is apparently 3/4 of a days weight watchers points. So will have to be more careful thanks for reminding me.

Ive found farelys GF baby rusks the best alternative for snacking! :D

What do others snack on?

Dean76 xx

Snack a Jacks, they are gluton free and come in several flavours so they satisfy my sweet tooth as well as my savoury one.

Rita X
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    I'm going to "refresh" this topic because it looks like there's a lot of ladies on this site who need to talk more about this subject (obviously, I'm not making assumptions about anyone's weight because I haven't seen you).

Yes, it does take walking 35 miles or something to lose 1 pound but you can split exercise into smaller chunks, just moving about a bit more than you usually do will make a difference. I was fortunate enough to win a Wii Fit and trampoline for the garden recently so when my joints aren't too bad, I try to do that most days. I haven't lost any weight but a lot of people have said I look slimmer so maybe I'm toning up?

With regards to eating, I know it's hard when you feel hungry all the time but you could change what you eat when you want to snack. Like snack on fruit or vegetable sticks when you're hungry instead of reaching for the biscuits (this doesn't always work, I know).

I find that drinking two litres of water a day really helps too - a lot of the time we're thirsty, not hungry, and a glass of water really helps. If you try to eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day too, that's really your diet sorted. I have 3 pieces of fruit in the morning and a glass of fruit juice (=4) and then try to have either a side salad with lunch or dinner or a serving of veg with the same. I've kept this up for a good couple of years now.

Hope this helps

Nx

Changing the subject somewhat Nina I notice you win loads of comps, what's your secret. I never win anything.

Rita X
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    Just to let you know that BMI is no longer an accurate measurement. Some GPs and Drs still use this as a measurement, but as a personal trainer myself use much more accurate tests.
    I was very frustrated about a month ago when I had a pre admission for knee arthoscopy and when the nurse took my weight she scanned a chart and put me down as in the over weight bracket. I asked her and she said it was routine. I explained that I keep myself physically fit and know for a fact that at the moment by body fat % is within a normal range. I have been told that I look like I am approx 8 1/2 stone when in fact I am just over 10 as I have quite a lot of muscle on my thighs and shoulders from all the sport I play. (or use to before arthirtis got a hold of me!)
    With a BMI test you basically use your height and weight measurement and put it against a chart and that will tell you th BMI.
    This measurement does not take into account Water retention (which a lot of people on medication suffer with including myself), muscle mass and bone densiisty (which a lot of us with arthritis have problems with. )
    If BMI was accurate then the whole of the England Rugby team would be classed as obese due to high muscle mass.
    The same is true for people with arthritis and in fact a lot of people with medical problems as medication can effect bowel movements, water retention.....etc.
    I get frustrated and ramble on about this subject because I know that a lot of people can be disheartenend when they are told their BMI is too high or they are overweight when in fact they could be within an acceptable body fat % range.
    If you read this I would urge you to get your body fat % checked rather than your BMI. Normal ranges for women are around 25-30% body fat and for men 20-25%.
    Hope this helps.
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    hi all how do you get your body fat checked my bmi is 30 ? i weigh 12 stone and im 5ft 3 on some diets they say i should be 7 st as if im not a small build i can be a bit muscley i did get told 11 would be ok for me im not a kid any more over 40 , i walk to work in the mornin but home in to much pain by then . i do stand half of the day and sit down for the rest . i dont really do much exercise even though i have lots of equipment ex bike air walker . ab mc just not used them since i had my op in 07 would love a wii fit or one of them power plates have to get savin up for them x
  • ninakang
    Options
    Changing the subject somewhat Nina I notice you win loads of comps, what's your secret. I never win anything.

Rita X[/quote]

Hi Rita

I don't win lots of comps but I won one in April, we're a goodtoknow/ Dolmio Star Family :-) Basically, we were one of 6 families picked in the UK who wanted to get more active and eat healthier and we won a load of stuff in return for trying out some activities and new recipes and giving them feedback on them. You can probably still see us on this link

http://goodtoknow.co.uk/dolmio

It's the first competition I've won in a long time but it's inspired me to go for more!

Nx
  • ninakang
    Options
    Hi Wazz,

I think you've got the exact right attitude in that you should treat each day as day one, no matter how badly the day before went.

We have a lot more to cope with - medication that puts weight on us, pain which only chocolate seems to cure, restriction of movement... It's a wonder we manage at all. I'm sure everyone who comes on here can sympathise and we can help each other.

Nx
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    joyous wrote:
    hi all how do you get your body fat checked my bmi is 30 ? i weigh 12 stone and im 5ft 3 on some diets they say i should be 7 st as if im not a small build i can be a bit muscley i did get told 11 would be ok for me im not a kid any more over 40 , i walk to work in the mornin but home in to much pain by then . i do stand half of the day and sit down for the rest . i dont really do much exercise even though i have lots of equipment ex bike air walker . ab mc just not used them since i had my op in 07 would love a wii fit or one of them power plates have to get savin up for them x

Hi, I would ask at your local gym or even phone a local personal trainer. Most would do it relatively cheap (I do mine for £10 at the gym I work in). Most personal trainers also come to your home so that will make it easier for you.
    It will consist of them measuring skinfolds usually from 7 sites on your body namely shoulder blade, hip, tricep, calf....then the measurements are added up and then there is a chart which tells you for your gender and age. It is more accurate than this BMI measurement.
    My brother in law plays rugby for the local rugby club and is a solid build yet with barely an ounce of fat on him and his BMI come in at 39!!!!!!!! lol
    If you want to find Personal Trainer in your area visit the REPs website. This is a nationally recognised company which provides details of all reputable personal trainers in your area.
    Hope this helps!!
    xx