Gardening

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 17. Mar 2009, 13:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday was such a nice day, so in the afternoon I went into the garden and planted a few pansies (Winter flowering!!!) . I felt fine aferwards and it didn't take long, about 3/4 hour with breaks. :wink:

This morning, I'v had a bad night, a sore elbow and shoulder pain, my hands feef as if I've hit them with a hammer and typing this sends sharp needles of pain down my hands. :( I have to say that I'm still glad I did it and I'll be out again when the weather is a bit nicer, as its cloudy here today. You've got to live :!: :) I am going to invest in a long-handled trowel or small fork. Love Sue :)

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I`m sorry you have had a bad night/morning, but glad you were able to do a bit in the garden. At least the plants will look nice and cheerful, and will make you feel proud of your efforts! :D
    Have a nice restful day today and observe the garden instead :wink:
    Nicola
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sue :D:D

Yes, we know we will probably suffer after having a great time, be it, a shopping day, a walk, gardening whatever but it is still worth enjoying oneself and "suffering" later. Like a hangover really :roll:

We have sun AGAIN today so I had better get out there and have a potter!

Luv
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nickynysmon08
    nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
    Options
    just saying hello to a fellow sufferer. I spent two days gardening, felt great, joints quite normal. Now, I am spending all my time sitting down, aching joints, knees , hips.
    I did something rather silly yesterday, went outside, dragging my legs a bit, caught a piece of wood that jammed on a tub and I fell flat, thus jarring my knee and hip. rather silly really. and painful. one really makes up for two clear but busy days, I'm sure you'll agree. thank heavens for tramadol!!!!

Nick
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi
    Ouch! That sounds painful!!! Anyway, here its not such a nice day, so its a good day for taking it easy! Seriously though I am going to get some long handled tools, as I think they will be useful, not just for my oa, but to reach across the beds to get weeds out without trampling a much loved plant. Its good to get outside, isn't it.
    Love Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Glad you got out and got your pansies in, I'm sure you'll reap the benefit when they're open and full of colour. :D

We've been to the pool this morning and my legs are really aching now.

Tonight we're off to the theatre and I know I'm going to suffer afterwards because of sitting in a cramped seat not being able to move my legs for a couple of hours. I've dosed up with painkillers now but dread the time when I'll have to stand afterwards and get back to the car :(:( It has to be worth it though 'cos my hubby loves to go.

Luv Legs :(
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Yesterday was such a nice day, so in the afternoon I went into the garden and planted a few pansies (Winter flowering!!!) . I felt fine aferwards and it didn't take long, about 3/4 hour with breaks. :wink:

This morning, I'v had a bad night, a sore elbow and shoulder pain, my hands feef as if I've hit them with a hammer and typing this sends sharp needles of pain down my hands. :( I have to say that I'm still glad I did it and I'll be out again when the weather is a bit nicer, as its cloudy here today. You've got to live :!: :) I am going to invest in a long-handled trowel or small fork. Love Sue :)
    Hi sue
    have you tried a garden claw? You can get a long one or short hand one. Think its main use is for weeding easily but i find it brilliant for when i have to plant things. I don't have any strength in my arms or upper body so i use it to loosen up the earth. (you can put your foot on it like a fork to sink it further into the ground) when the earth is broken up like that first it is so much easier to trowel it out. :lol: love Gill
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    i WAS OUT YESTERDAY AND SEEING AS THE WEATHER WAS LOVELY i DECIDED TOO CUT THE GRASS , HAVE WAY THROUGH IT i WAS STARTING TO FEEL FUNNY went in and checked my blood sugar level and it was 3.0, so went and got the barley sugar sweets out and some luzade and then decide to rest as my body was so weak , as I was lying down my head was feeling as if it was about to burst very scaryery. after 2 hours rest awoke with a sore head , checked my blood sugar level and it was 8.6 I cant seem to get it under control but I will keep on trying , this morning it was 10.8 , I am also getting tingling in my right hand I cant seem to shake this feeling away.

So my garden will be getting cut again tomorrow ( if I feel like doing it) it is a mess though.

Mike R Hazel mikeJR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Mike
    You are absolutely right not to risk it if your sugar's wonky :shock:
    You'll get the garden done.
    If all else fails see if Skeizer'll lend you one of her sheep! :wink:
    Take care
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Sorry about the blood sugar problems. They are a real pain, arn't they.

My husband has the same problems with his blood sugar. Its normally very well controlled, but as soon as he does a lot of gardening or anything, and dosn't make up for it with eating a bit more, his blood sugars drop throgh the floor. Also, if he does a lot in the evening and then goes to bed, he'll wake up feeling ill, take his bloods and have to eat chocolate!!! Thats his excuse. Sue