Tinitus??

Options
mouseymousey
mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
edited 17. Mar 2009, 13:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello Everyone! Oh for joy I now seem to have Tinitus?? I read on the net it could be a side effect of presciption drugs? Helpfully they didn't say which ones. My painkillers have been 'upped' so I'm wondering if this could be the cause? Can't really say how long its been going on for though as I've just noticed its always there..
Best wishes
Mx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi mousey

Really sorry to hear that you now have have tinnitus. I looked up drugs that can cause tinnitus on the net and there are hundreds, all listed in alphabetical order, scary.

My friend is taking meds for tinnitus but I do not know what it is called. She told me they take some time to work, if they are going to help.

Perhaps you should book an appointment with your gp.

I wish you well,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Mousy
    Not nice is it? I have had it for many years, but really only toubles me at night when it gose quiet - background noise coversit I suppose...
    I think, if I were you I'd follow Elna's advice and see if anything at all can be done.
    Hope you can get it sorted
    take care
    Toni x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi MM,

I noticed a Low Roar (like a distant lorry going up hill) in my left ear a long time ago when I was ill with a cold but it went away and I can't say when it came back but now it has it's brought it's friend High Pitch Whistle for my other ear :shock: Glad I haven't got three ears 'cos goodness knows what would happen in there - possibly bass drums or electric guitar :wink:

Doesn't hurt so it doesn't bother me, like Toni I only notice it really at night or when it's really quiet - but that's interesting about the medication - I didn't connect it to anything but old age (in my case :roll: )

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm pretty certain the aspirin derived drugs can cause or exacerbate tinnitus. I think sulfa is in that category.

I have a high pitched whistle in both ears and as you say, when it's quiet it's quite annoying.

Patrick
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Once again thanks to everyone for the replies - I really appreciate it. I will see my GP but I'll wait a little while, I saw her last week and I'm pretty sure she has me down as 'the hypochondriac!! Last time I took a bit of paper where some of you had written down the names of drugs on another thread - Omeprazole was one of them - Knowledge is power and all that...
    Mxxx