what course has your RA taken?

Options
mistywillow
mistywillow Member Posts: 711
edited 18. Mar 2009, 12:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
RA typically is supposed to follow periods of flare ups and remissions. I have had it for about 12 years, (i'm 54 ) and it has been a continuous process. Some days are better than others but i cant say that i have had any let up in the pain since it started although being on meds (mtx and pred) makes it more manageable. How is it for you???!! :|

Comments

• roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's pretty much my experience too. No real remission to speak of and pain every day, just some days less painful that's all.

The first rheumatologist I saw kept saying it will burn itself out, 30 years later I'm still waiting. The one thing I am grateful for is that the joint damage is pretty minimal though I'm sure that's down to early intervention with DMARDS.

Patrick
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with RA 13 years ago, I am still waiting for my first remission, I was told it would burn itself out, I have had plenty of flare ups, I am on MXT now and I think that is not working now love jaspercatxx
  • mistywillow
    Options
    roczko wrote:
    That's pretty much my experience too. No real remission to speak of and pain every day, just some days less painful that's all.

The first rheumatologist I saw kept saying it will burn itself out, 30 years later I'm still waiting. The one thing I am grateful for is that the joint damage is pretty minimal though I'm sure that's down to early intervention with DMARDS.

Patrick

Hi Patrick
    Thanks for your reply. I don't have too much visible joint damage either, mainly my hands as it all started there but i ignored all the lumps and bumps that appeared. What DMARDS and doses are you on now?

Gill
  • mistywillow
    Options
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi, I was diagnosed with RA 13 years ago, I am still waiting for my first remission, I was told it would burn itself out, I have had plenty of flare ups, I am on MXT now and I think that is not working now love jaspercatxx

Hi jaspercat
    thanks for replying. What doses are you on now?
    I see you like cats. I have 7 of them!!! ( i live on a farm though so we re not too catted out)

Gill
  • brian35
    brian35 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    I was diagnosed with both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis, mainly in my knees, 8 years ago. For the past 6 or 7 years the osteo has not been too bad and the rheumatoid seems to have been controlled reasonably well with Methotrexate to the extent that I was seeing only the Nurse Practitioner at the Rheumatology Clinic once a year.

During the past year the pain in my knees has become worse and I have found it difficult to walk or garden as I once did. Before last year's visit to the Clinic I saw my GP and said that I wanted to know if the problem had worsened because of the osteo or rheumatoid and he booked me for repeat X-rays of my hands, knees and feet. The result was that my 'knees show advanced OA visible at both knee joints with complete cartilage thinning medially on each side and significant new bone formation'.

I am now waiting for my first knee replacement.
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Hi Gill

I take 6 x 500mg sulfasalazine a day, 20mg leflunomide and 5mg prednisolone.

Patrick
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Gill I have RA and PA about 30 something years now, althouge only really bad for the last 4 years. I have it from head to foot and have never had any remission from it. Like most I have pain 24/7 but yes some days may be better than others. The only time I have ever been pain free is the times I have had the DEPOT MEDRONE INJECTION.
    Patric that’s some cocktail you take that lot made me feel so sick. My medication list reads more like a book these days but I take 20mg Mtx
    Injection, 50mg enbrel injection and 20mg prednisolone a day. Was at the hospital yesterday it seems the prednisolone is causeing me some problems and they want to take me off the Metx the plan was to supstitute it with the prednisolone but its looking like that might not happen now.

On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin
  • fossillady
    fossillady Member Posts: 37
    Options
    I have had RA for 19 years and have never had any kind of remission. I have pain and stiffness everyday, and like other sufferers some days are worse than others (although since being on anti-TNFs I don't get as much of the typical RA swelling). I have erosions and damage in many joints which I think cause most of my problems now and I also have osteopenia. I do take a cocktail of drugs including a DMARD, anti-TNF, steroids and anti-imflammatories. If any of these are stopped the RA flares up with a vengeance :(
    I do hope all the new drugs coming into use these days helps newly diagnosed patients achieve a remission :)
  • mistywillow
    Options
    fossillady wrote:
    I have had RA for 19 years and have never had any kind of remission. I have pain and stiffness everyday, and like other sufferers some days are worse than others (although since being on anti-TNFs I don't get as much of the typical RA swelling). I have erosions and damage in many joints which I think cause most of my problems now and I also have osteopenia. I do take a cocktail of drugs including a DMARD, anti-TNF, steroids and anti-imflammatories. If any of these are stopped the RA flares up with a vengeance :(
    I do hope all the new drugs coming into use these days helps newly diagnosed patients achieve a remission :)

I'm sorry that you all have so much pain too. It a real bummer of a disease isn't it! Keeping positive and as active possible without inducing a flare up is how I deal with it.
    Look after those joints of yours!! :)
    Gill