Beds!

Options
lanzafan
lanzafan Member Posts: 3
edited 21. Mar 2009, 17:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Need some advice as to whether or not I should buy a bed with the new (ish!) memory foam type mattress! I have OA in hips, knees and spine, and would like to know if other members with similar complaints have found that this kind of mattress helps.

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi,how id love the full memory foam mattress.
    i do have the memory foam topper & i do find it takes some pressure of my joints at night.its also find its easier to get comfortable & slip off into the land of nod. staying asleep is a different matter as i still wake on turning over. but i wouldnt be with out the topper.i know several that have tried them & agree that it helps. i can also lay on my back which was a great big NO before i brought it,so its a yes from me :D best thing iv every brought(apart from my electric tin opener :wink: ) im easly pleased.
    debsx
  • marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    lanzafan wrote:
    Need some advice as to whether or not I should buy a bed with the new (ish!) memory foam type mattress! I have OA in hips, knees and spine, and would like to know if other members with similar complaints have found that this kind of mattress helps.

I was debating whether to buy the memory foam mattress as well & it took me ages to make a decision. I badly needed a new bed. In the end I bought a slumberland deluxe memory foam divan bed about £500 and I am very pleased with it. I suffer from OA as well, spine, knees, neck etc., and when I lie on my mattress, it moulds my body and I feel completely relax, comfortable and almost pain free. I like my bed and I sleep very well at night, I also use the memory foam pillow, but I can only speak for myself as some people do not like memory foam, I guess, it is up to the individual but for me it was a good buy. Hope this helps.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I recently got a memory foam topper and am really pleased with it. I wish I`d got it before my THR as I`m sure it would have helped! My mattress wasn`t that old, that`s why we didn`t go the whole hog and get a memory foam mattress. But I ill do when it needs replacing, unless there is a newer type available then.
    NB
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi, I went for the topper, mainly on financial grounds. I think it is wonderful and is so easy for me to turn, if I had a ma tress I would never be able to turn it. I certainly find it wonderfully comfortable and supports my joints well. Linda
  • lanzafan
    lanzafan Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for your replies...you are convincing me!
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Lanzafan

On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I'VE got oa in my spine, neck, etc. I have a memory foam topper and a memory foam pillow and its made BIG difference for me! :wink: We had just had a new mattress when my problems started, so didn't want to buy a another straight away, but when we do I'll get a memory foam one. :D Sue
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi
    I recently bought a 5in thick feather and down matress topper and it is lovely. It has helped me a lot, but I'm sure the memory foam ones are good too. I have OA in my knee,and Bursitis in my hip and was finding it very difficult to get comfortable in bed.

I also bought a butterfly memory foam pillow which is specially designed to fit between your legs and takes the pressure off your joints. It is called butterfly because you can open it out to support both legs, and it has a massage switch too, so it is quite soothing. I have found this very helpful. I obtained it through Amazon, I think.

Joan[/list]
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Guys!
    Joanne - that pillow sounds brilliant!!! I want one want one!! Does it have make on it?
    Toni x
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Hi
    We brought a memory mattress off of ebay, we were very lucky to get an almost new one very cheap. I've found it has helped me sleep better, still hurts to turn over though. I also read on here somewhere that someone had put a duvet on top of the mattress, which is something else I've done, I'm only disturbed now for the seconds it takes to turn over then I'm back to sleep again. If you can get a good nights sleep I think it really helps you to cope with the pain.

Rita X
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Guys!
    Joanne - that pillow sounds brilliant!!! I want one want one!! Does it have make on it?
    Toni x
    Hi
    Just been on amazon and if you look for memory pillows in homeware, you can find butterfly massage knee, ankle etc.. pillow.
    24.99 ish (plus p &p)
    NB
  • marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Forgot to mention with a full memory foam mattress, it is very heavy to rotate from top to bottom. I try to do it not very often with the the help of my husband and find it makes my back more achy, it is so heavy. I also find it difficult to lift the mattress to put the sheet on. The mattress is very deep. I was told if you have a very good mattress, then you could buy a topper.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Guys!
    Toni x

Hi Toni
    The butterfly memory foam pillow was made by Contour products,Inc,4740-A Dwight Evans Rd, Charlotte, NC28217, USA

But I got mine through Amazon. I haven't seen a similar one anywhere else with a battery in it to work the massage function of it. Also, the shape is very good for fitting between your knees and aligning your legs/hips. strangely, when I turn over in bed, it seems to stay with me most of the time.
    Joan
  • mandyu
    mandyu Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi,
    I've had a memory foam mattress for 3 years, and it's the best thing we've ever bought!! Last week we were away for a few days in York and had the hardest mattress in the world - couldn't sleep it was so uncomfortable and painful.

Any ideas on how I can get my king size mattress in the car to take everywhere I go??!!

Mandy
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    marie48 wrote:
    Forgot to mention with a full memory foam mattress, it is very heavy to rotate from top to bottom. I try to do it not very often with the the help of my husband and find it makes my back more achy, it is so heavy. I also find it difficult to lift the mattress to put the sheet on. The mattress is very deep. I was told if you have a very good mattress, then you could buy a topper.

Hi Marie,

When you say you find it difficult to lift the mattress to put the sheet on do you mean tucking the sheet in? If so, I tuck the sheets in by using the spine of a very narrow book, holding it in position with my hands and just pushing with my knees - the sheet slips under very easily.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Mandy
    I have the same problem when I go away from home, and even in a luxury hotel I was uncomfortable in the bed. I wonder how small the memory foam toppers would roll up, and whether it would be feasable to take one with you.
    Joan
  • ramummy
    ramummy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi there, we have a mattress that is sprung and then has a memory foam top as well - the reason we went for this is we were told that full memory foam mattresses are found to be by some people to be very hot to sleep on as they made of foam (obviuosly - sorry!!).... having the springs underneath allows some air to circulate and keeps it a bit cooler apparently. We got ours from Dreams a 2 or 3 years ago....

As a previous poster has mentioned - they are really heavy - I can't make the bed alone anymore as I can't lift the mattress to tuck the sheets in - my husband (who doesn't have RA!!) - agrees that it does indeed weigh a ton and is always reluctant to turn it let alone help with the bed making!

Despite all this I can't reccomend them enough - soooooooo comfy!!