o/a of the hips

Options
wendy57
wendy57 Member Posts: 17
edited 26. Mar 2009, 04:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I hope someone can put my mind at ease, I was diagnosed with O/A of the both hips in Feb and i have pain in my lower back on one side, i was wondering if anyone else has had or got this horrible thing or am i on my own,sorry to appear to winge about this but im'e new to this. wendy57

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Wendy
    Sorry you are suffering :(
    Not too sure, but it could well be connected to the hips - maybe you are not walking right and are putting pressure on your back or something. I'm sure you don't want to do it, but I think if it has not gone away in spite of obvious things like rest, you have to go back to GP :(
    Hopefully one of the guys with hips (!) will have more advise later
    Take care
    Toni x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Wendy
    I have had lower back pain for years on and off . Until my OA hips were diagnosed I spent time trying to decide if back pain came from hips or hip pain came from back! Mine is due to limping and overcompensating whilst walking when hip painful. I lift my pelvis (wrongly! i have been told off by physios) and throw my leg out when hip painful which will put strain on lumbar spine.
    It is worth having it checked by dr though, as you could have a back problem. Its hard to say.
    At its worst my hip pain radiated down my thigh, arou nd my knee, in buttocks, and sciatic type pain down leg into ankle. Not all at same time though! It kept me guessing. Since my THR this has improved++. Although I still get back pain, but still have other hip to sort yet.
    Anyway, welcome to the site, hope you find it a good support etc.
    NB
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Wendy

Welcome to the forum. :D Sorry to hear you are in pain. :(

I am wondering whether you have a touch of sciatica? I have got this on my brain at the moment as I have been suffering for 4 months with this complaint and since recently having 6 sessions of physio I have been painfree for 5 days. I hardly dare believe it has gone away! I see her again in two weeks. I have a couple of exercises I do three times a day. Does not take long.

Do you have pain down your leg too, or pins and needles? I would go and see the gp. It could well be the way you are walking to compensate for your troublesome hips.

A few sessions of physio may be the answer.

Look after yourself,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi there,

I had back pain for years along with hip pain, after many years I was diagnosed with dysplsia and it turned out when I was walking I was pulling my discs out of place and it was causing a lot of back pain, physio did try to help and I found traction very useful and before my hip failed I did pilates and found this was great for the back. If you are fit to do it i would recommend it, otherwise I would keep going to the doctor until they do something.
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Wendy
    I understand how you are feeling at the moment its all very worrying and confusing, I too was confirmed with OA in both hips in January I have had back pain for 15 years comes and goes depending on what I do. I get quite a bit of it now along with the hip pain, I asked the consultant about the pain in the lower back top of the buttock area he said its not from my hip but from my back, but I have read loads of articles about OA and hips and you can get referred pain in your back the same as you get the referred pain in your knee, and I know its from my hip because I get all the intense pain at the same time.
    Denise
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 22. Mar 2009, 08:30
    Options
    Hi
    I'm really glad that you have had such a good, positive appointment. It helps to have a good relationship with your rheummy so I'm pleased you've found one to trust! :lol::D Love Sue
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Wendy, I have OA of spine and sacral area but often get terrible pain in my hips. I have secondary arthritis though so I know my arthur hasn't spread, it's just at the site of previous trauma. You'd be amazed where your OA can affect you even someplace totally different from where it is. I also have severe sciatica but I have bulging disc and stenosis too but i'd always assumed this was causing the sciatica, could be the OA. I'd make sure your scans, xrays etc are up to date just to make sure though, best wishes
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Wendy

There often an averse effect on peoples backs if they have an abnormal gait. If you've been walking differently due to your hips this could explain the problem Best to have a word with ortho or rheumy though they should know for sure.

Love
    Vonski
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello
    I've just re-read something I posted earlier on your thread, sorry I think I must have got the wrong message :mrgreen: :roll: It makes no sense!! I have had a trying day. :(

I have OA in my spine and hips my pain is mainly in the groin area, which made me think it was just a pulled muscle for ages, but it got worse and x-rays showed back and hip oa! :) They tell me its to do with the nerves that are effected. Sorry you'r having such a rotten and confusing time. Love Sue
  • wendy57
    Options
    Hi everyone thanks for your helpfull tips that could be wrong with my back pain,when i read them all the majority said it could be siatica, this makes sense as i have been walking with a limp as my right hip is worse than my left, I have had pins and needles as well, come to think of it i have had lower back pain for years off and on before i was diagnosed with o/a, so thanks everyone for your wonderful help, its like having dear friends to help and understand when you feel down about things. love wendy57xxxx :)
  • nickynysmon08
    nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
    Options
    wendy57 wrote:
    Hi everyone thanks for your helpfull tips that could be wrong with my back pain,when i read them all the majority said it could be siatica, this makes sense as i have been walking with a limp as my right hip is worse than my left, I have had pins and needles as well, come to think of it i have had lower back pain for years off and on before i was diagnosed with o/a, so thanks everyone for your wonderful help, its like having dear friends to help and understand when you feel down about things. love wendy57xxxx :)

I too have osteo of both hips and both knees, right side particular. I find going for a walk, at least two miles, is most beneficial. I did this yesterday, took a tramodol, so I was less aware of the aching. although the knee hurt, i tended to ignore t now. the benefits later were great. I am resorting now to tramadol, then exercise, and in a bad patch this tends to work so far. I find exercise when we least feel like it is often the best medicine, though the effects we feel later on.
    try the alexandra technique, which I believe has to do with maintaining a proper posture, this may take much of the lateral strain off your hips,

best wishes,

Nick
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi Wendy - I am new here too. I also was diagnosed via X-ray & MRI early last year with OA of the right hip & knee. Have you been recommended a hip injection at all yet? I had first last June & had amazing pain relief for five months aft. I was able to walk miles & walk without limping.
    I know have to walk with a stick & limp very badly, but my worse pain & stiffness is in the groin area & side of hip.
    This forum is fantastic to talk to others like us isn't it? As I am only 50, I have no other friends with OA as bad as mine & you feel so miserable not being as fit as your mates don't you.
    Hope we will be able to chat more here
    Pennie X
  • wendy57
    Options
    penfactor wrote:
    Hi Wendy - I am new here too. I also was diagnosed via X-ray & MRI early last year with OA of the right hip & knee. Have you been recommended a hip injection at all yet? I had first last June & had amazing pain relief for five months aft. I was able to walk miles & walk without limping.
    I know have to walk with a stick & limp very badly, but my worse pain & stiffness is in the groin area & side of hip.
    This forum is fantastic to talk to others like us isn't it? As I am only 50, I have no other friends with OA as bad as mine & you feel so miserable not being as fit as your mates don't you.
    Hope we will be able to chat more here
    Pennie X
    Hi Pen gosh I thought i was to young to have this horrible thing but your only 50, Im'e 58, at the moment its the pain in my back thats bothering me, I go to see my Dr next Tuesday im'e hoping to get some sense out of him, another thing i cannot do is lie on my sides as i feel as if im'e lying on a brick it must be the swelling, do you have that, I have shed a few tears about it but as my husband who also is riddled with it said we have been dealt with an unlucky blow, but we laugh about it because we have named are ooh ooh's as the Arther song, do you know it :) I will keep in touch with you if you don't mind and i will let you know how i get on at the Dr's,keep your chin up girl. :D wendy57 xx
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Hi Wendy sorry to hear about your hip and pain... have you asked your GP about having some physio, I suffered with back pain and sciatica for years, had several bouts of physio which helped in the short-term, eventually had to have spinal surgery to scrape away some of the debris away from the sciatic nerve, this worked for 3/4 yrs then I started with numbness/pins and needles in my foot , pain in groin and range of movement in my Right Hip, 5 yrs ago at 55 I had a Total Hip-Replacement and instant pain relief it was amazing and I recovered well. Now I have similar pain in Left hip, knees, wrists etc.. so I expect to have another Hip Replacement at some point soon.
    Speak to your GP about physiotherapy and wether you can be referred to an Orthopedic Dept for assessment of your hip and spine.
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi, I have most of my pain in my lower back and top of left hip. I had MRI scan which showed the arthritis but have yet to be formally diagnosed by a Rheumatologist. When I spoke to my GP about it he said that the pain in my hip is also the arthritis but some of the pain may be referred pain form nerves in the back which are being compressed / aggravated from the inflammation in my back.
    Maybe you have similar, I dont know because I dont know much about my condition yet.
    Hope you feel better soon
  • wendy57
    Options
    tanith wrote:
    Hi Wendy sorry to hear about your hip and pain... have you asked your GP about having some physio, I suffered with back pain and sciatica for years, had several bouts of physio which helped in the short-term, eventually had to have spinal surgery to scrape away some of the debris away from the sciatic nerve, this worked for 3/4 yrs then I started with numbness/pins and needles in my foot , pain in groin and range of movement in my Right Hip, 5 yrs ago at 55 I had a Total Hip-Replacement and instant pain relief it was amazing and I recovered well. Now I have similar pain in Left hip, knees, wrists etc.. so I expect to have another Hip Replacement at some point soon.
    Speak to your GP about physiotherapy and wether you can be referred to an Orthopedic Dept for assessment of your hip and spine.
    Hi Tanith thanks for that I have got an appointmet with my DR on Tuesday so i will mention the things you said and see how i get on, if i have some luck i will let you know, thanks again. :) wendy57.
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    [quote="wendy
    Hi again Wendy :) I can't lie on my right side either - sometimes I wake up in agony cos I've rolled onto it in my sleep. Am most comfortable sleeping on back. I am having another injection on Thurs with general anaesthetic (the surgeon this time insists on though I would prefer to be local as was fine with that last time). My problem is my job as it is retail so I am supposed to able to stand all day & run up & down stairs for customers. I got so bad after Xmas I have had to be signed off and don't know whether will be able to return. At my age that is so scary cos I used to be superfit, aerobics, jogging every day - now can hardly walk & I need money to live. Are you still working? If so how do you cope & what job do you do?
    Pennie X
    P.S No I don't know song! Should imagine there would be lots of screaming & wailing it it?!
  • wendy57
    Options
    penfactor wrote:
    [quote="wendy
    Hi again Wendy :) I can't lie on my right side either - sometimes I wake up in agony cos I've rolled onto it in my sleep. Am most comfortable sleeping on back. I am having another injection on Thurs with general anaesthetic (the surgeon this time insists on though I would prefer to be local as was fine with that last time). My problem is my job as it is retail so I am supposed to able to stand all day & run up & down stairs for customers. I got so bad after Xmas I have had to be signed off and don't know whether will be able to return. At my age that is so scary cos I used to be superfit, aerobics, jogging every day - now can hardly walk & I need money to live. Are you still working? If so how do you cope & what job do you do?
    Pennie X
    P.S No I don't know song! Should imagine there would be lots of screaming & wailing it it?!
    Hi Pen no I can't work as I suffer with angina and asthma and high blood pressure also which is also a nuisance i get recurring boils in my groin which is double the pain with the hips,as you can see i'me a mess on legs, sorry about your job its very annoying when you want to do all kinds and can't, just having a shower is a job and a half is'nt it i have to do a little bit and sit and rest then do another bit then rest. I think its terrible when you cannot stand for long with the pain one side of my back and my right hip which is worse than my left one, so sorry to go on about it but its really getting to me know, Iam hoping to get some sense out of my Dr tommorow I will let you know how i get on if you don't mind listening to my moans. By the way that song is one we have made up because when we move all as you can hear is ooh ooh so we named it the arthritis song, ha ha :) you have got to laugh otherwise you cry. speak soon wendy57. xx :lol:
  • wendy57
    Options
    penfactor wrote:
    [quote="wendy
    Pennie X
    Hi Pen I went to my Dr's and she has reffered me to see a Physiotheripist at my local Hospital on the 8th April so I should get some help in learning to cope with it more, I asked her about antinflamatorys but she said althogh im'e on stomache protector tablets i cannot have them because they interfere with my blood pressure medication and can damage my liver, so all as i can take is my pain killers which as you know don't help when your out shopping :( Have you had physio treatment if have what do they do when you first go to them, Hope your keeping well. wendy57 :)
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    wendy57 wrote:
    penfactor wrote:
    [quote="wendy
    Pennie X
    Hi Pen I went to my Dr's and she has reffered me to see a Physiotheripist at my local Hospital on the 8th April so I should get some help in learning to cope with it more, I asked her about antinflamatorys but she said althogh im'e on stomache protector tablets i cannot have them because they interfere with my blood pressure medication and can damage my liver, so all as i can take is my pain killers which as you know don't help when your out shopping :( Have you had physio treatment if have what do they do when you first go to them, Hope your keeping well. wendy57 :)

Wendy ask your doc if you can change the BP meds to something different , I take anti-inflammatories and BP meds together and have done for several years so there must be a combination that will work...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.