Prescription Charges

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 19. Mar 2009, 12:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
I think I have read on here somewhere that if you get a prescription in England and take it to a chemist in Wales they will dispense it free of charge?

Is this correct?

Does it make any difference if you have a holiday home in Wales, as that becomes your temporary address whilst staying there?

Jackie x

Comments

• jackie1955
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello........ any one know about the above?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Jackie - no I don't know, but would be good if it was true!!! Mind you could be a fair old way for some of us to travel....! :wink:
    Take care
    Toni x
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi not sure about that but I have heard they are going to be introducing free prescriptions here in Scotland, not sure if it's true but if it is it will be good news for the rest of the UK as I'm sure they would rather have everyone in the UK the same.
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi not sure about that but I have heard they are going to be introducing free prescriptions here in Scotland, not sure if it's true but if it is it will be good news for the rest of the UK as I'm sure they would rather have everyone in the UK the same.

Don't want to open a can of worms here, but why oh why do the English government always have us last in the queue? :(
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    From 1 April 2007 there are different arrangements for prescription charges between Wales and the rest of the UK. In Wales everybody gets free prescriptions. As a pharmacist working in England, you must apply the rules which apply in England. If you get a prescription written in Wales the "English" rules apply.
    http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Medicinespharmacyandindustry/Prescriptions/NHScosts/DH_087013

The PPA and HSW are aware of the differential between charges for prescriptions in England and Wales and will price according to where the prescription was dispensed.
    http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Medicinespharmacyandindustry/Prescriptions/NHSenglishprescriptionforms/DH_4077268

The official information is sufficiently vague as to not really answer your query. The prescription forms are different in England and Wales. Present one in Wales and ask.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 18. Mar 2009, 16:53
    Options
    I distinctly remember that a person who used to be on the forum quite a lot last year, posted about this and he said he went over to Wales to get his prescriptions. He lived a few miles from the border.

His pharmacist had told him they are inundated with people coming over from England to Wales.

He guessed there must be a loophole in the system. The thread on here was started about this time last year, perhaps the powers that be have clamped down on it by now.

One way to find out, is, if you are in Wales, go to a chemist and present your prescription and see what happens.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi jackie i am sure there was a thread a year or to ago on here where peeps were taking scrips to Wales and getting them for nowt dont know how that works when they see a non Welsh adress lets hope the current scrips review say more peeps can get exemption with condition like arthur being designated an exemption illness I was born in Wales I wonder whether that counts its a long way to go to get free scrips for me now if i needed to????????
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:

Don't want to open a can of worms here, but why oh why do the English government always have us last in the queue? :(

lol Jackie I've no idea, I'd love to know why we were first to get the poll tax first if anybody out there is reading, I wonder if Maggie knows about us? :lol:
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi
    I live in Wales our prescription forms are a different colour from England, so you have to be registered with a Welsh Gp to qualify for free scrips. I think the Assembly have got wise to loop holes. I feel that anyone who needs medication because of chronic diseases should get free prescriptions.
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks all for your replies and the informative 'links'.

As we spend a lot of time in Wales it would make sense to get my prescriptions dispensed whilst there if they are 'free' :)

Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case then :!:

Jackie x
  • pussycat
    pussycat Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Re prescription charges collecting my prescription is the only time I am pleased that I have an underactive thyroid and get my prescriptions for free.

I think it is terrible that people must pay £102 pound's a year to pay for an annual prescription for a longterm illness.
    I also object to the fact that thank's to NICE that people are often paying a prescription for an inferior form of medication due to the best med's being deemed to expensive for the NHS. :roll: :x