Successful rheumy appt

Options
debatat
debatat Member Posts: 659
edited 18. Mar 2009, 17:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I havent posted very much but I have been lurking a lot in the last few weeks. A lot of your posts I have been able to identify with and have really helped me.

My hands have been so painful and becoming deformed for the past couple of months so had a rheumy appt today. I saw a different consultant to usual who was really nice. I took along my list as I forget things in appt, but he said he didn't want to hear about that, he said what is your problem mainly. So I explained about my hands and showed him the photos I had took of how swollen and misshapen they get. (which was useful as they look quite normal today, typical!!!) He asked about other joints and I explained shoulder and knees painful and ankle all with accompanying weakness, which he could see today.

Annoyingly the bloods which I had done prior to appt so that I would be able to start treatment today he couldnt find :cry: Then he suggested a referral to a pain clinic, as my pain was obviously chronic. I thought here we go. So then I asked if I had arthritis and he said he couldn't say for def today that I had RA but that he would like to try 5-10mg of pred for 4-6mths and if that works at next appt look at more toxic drugs which could then be justified as I had proved that I needed steroids and that they worked. Wow!!!!! :)

I am so happy, I have been having problems for nearly 3 years now and have been promised meth at next appt only for that not to happen so many times. But truly, the last 5 months have been the worst, the pain has been terrible and the resulting disability has been hard to swallow. So the thought of pred is just brill. :lol:

He is writing to gp to ask them to prescribe and monitor as I have diabetes. I just hope and pray that nothing goes wrong and I am allowed steroids so I can have my life back!!! Sneakily I have already popped to gp to see if he will prescribe before he gets consultants letter, :wink: , as I am so desperate to start treatment.

I already knew RA was likely in my hands so I made my peace with it a long time ago, but I have been anxious for them to treat before damage. The photos seem to have paid off.

Sorry for rambling and long post, I am overjoyed to have proper treatment in my reach. I just hope I don't have to post again saying they are withholding it yet again!!

Thanks again to everyone, I don't always post a lot, but the forum has really helped me.

Deb :D

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i'm glad your appointment went well, hopefully the meds will help. as you said steroids do wanders, but onlt short term sadly.
    keep us imformed of how you het on.
    sue
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi

I'm so glad you have had a positive appointment I think its helps alot when you feel that you are been taken serious - what a good idea to take photos. Good luck keep us all posted

debs
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Deb :D:D

You are not rambling at all and it is great to read your :D "success" :D story - well, you know what I mean, actually getting somewhere after a far too long a time, with these medical people. :):lol:

I learnt on here early on that it is an excellent idea to take photos of proof on the really bad days as you can bet your bottom dollar that on the day of your appointment, there is no evidence as such to show these people. I pass that tip onto people here as and when I feel it is appropriate.

I really hope all goes well with you from now and good for you for getting in touch with your gp already. Why wait any longer, aye?
    At least you have a foot in the door so to speak now with starting the meds.

Please stay in touch,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    It's such a relief to have a successful appointment isn't it?

On a par with a depo jab :lol:

Patrick
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am still on a high knowing (hopefully) that I now begin my proper treatment in earnest. The consultant was very gentle with me explaining that this wouldn't be for a few weeks but would be for a very long time and I would need constant monitoring. He was so nice, I hope I see him again!!
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi Deb,

Thats great news! Good luck for the future :)

Jackie x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm so pleased you've had a good appointment. Hope the new medication works well and quickly! :D