Occy Health Visit

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 18. Mar 2009, 17:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Back from occy health, the doctor examined me and said that in his opinion I was not going to be fit enough to go back to my old job. As I have a fairly heavy job, this was no surprise. He also said that re-deployment would not be easy, as most jobs have bits that I wouldn't be able to do. He said typing would not be good and in his opinion, although surgery will help my carpel tunnel syndrome, my hands and wrists would not be able to stand very much administrative work. He now will write again to my G.P and ask for a report about my hands and MRI scan. His report will then be passed to another doctor to sign off.

I just don't know how I feel really, relief in a way. Sad that I can't go back to my old job. Worry, about all the benifits I have to claim and the medicals and tests. I don't understand this new benefits system and although I've looked it up, I can't get my head around it! :( It seems as if its got more complicated and hard to claim. Still, I'm not going to worry too much about that yet.

At least Occy health have been helpful so far. They really do seem to care about your health! Thats enough for now! Love Sue :)

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Wow!!
    That sounded like a positive vist!!
    I am glad you feel releived a bit and that they were kind.
    Sad about your old job - you have to 'greive' for that loss now.
    As for the benefits - does anyone understand them???!!!
    Take care
    Toni x
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Benefits! aaargh! Here comes a rant..........

Last week, realising I was not fit to go into work, I phoned and enquired about 'sick pay' as I don't earn enough to get SSP from my employer.

Filled a claim form in over the phone, received it in the post to sign and return along with a part for my employer to complete. Had to see my gp yesterday to get a Medical Certificate from him, and he advised me to refrain from work initially for 4 weeks, then go back to see him.

So, posted all this off today. Afternoon post brings me a large envelope containing a 27 page Form, entitled "Limited Capability for Work Questionnaire"............ :shock: Basically it seems to be asking what I can/can't do in relation to finding suitable employment!

Now, look, I have a job I love. I want to get back to it as soon as I am physically able; I have worked for 35 years, always paid NI Stamp, and last claimed Sick Pay through DWP probably 20 years ago :!: So all I want, just for hopefully a few weeks, is a bit of 'Sick Money' to tide me over, for which I I have paid willingly into the system with my contributions.

If this is how the 'new' system works I'd like to speak to whoever thought it up, obviously someone who wouldn't need to apply for anything themselves!

:x jackie :x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Sorry to hear about the report today I never coped very well when i first had to retire from work i always thought i would work for years to come but i'm ok with it now. You are never really prepared for that sort of news but at least you know where you stand. Regarding benifits, pensions and retiement through ill health when the time comes talk to the CAB first before filling in any forms they really are a great help and they will assist with the forms and any claims you need to make. Take care and keep your chin up, once again sorry to hear your bad news.
    Colin
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks, I do feel a bit strange, not something I thought much about, really before recently. I will that the CAB as I think 'knowing the right jargon' helps with forms. Also I find it easy to forget how my life and abilites have changed and tend to gloss over things, which isn't helpful, I imagine, with DHS!!! I feel very tired and 'brain dead' tonight! :) Love Sue