spasms

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 21. Mar 2009, 17:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Been having a fantatsic week and havent had much problem at all until last night. I have been given tramadol and diclofenac and they worked fantastic for the pain. I've been back at the gym, happy days!
However, last few days my belly has been playing me up (diarrhoea, constipation and bloating all at once!) so I stopped taking them for 2 days in order to let my bowels have a break.
Woke up last night in agony, burning left hip so bad I couldnt move and also the right lower back muscle keeps going into spasms, even now as I type.
Its not pleasant and was wondering what I could do as I cant get an appointment with my GP til next week!

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Have you been prescribed the med to go with the diclofenac that "lines" your stomach? I could tolerate diclo for about 2 years and then the trouble started ie terrible stomach pains etc and I was put onto something else.

You could see any gp at your surgery and tell them your problem and they will be able to deal with it by either giving you the accompanying med for the diclo or writing out a script for another medication.

Hope you feel much better soon.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi,
    No i was given diclofenac to be taken 3 times a day but nothing else. The pain was getting wrose last week so the GP gave me Tramadol tablets but my stomach cant take it now which means my hips and back are in agony.
    There are no appointments at all at my surgery til next week with any doctor. The only option I have is to phone up 8.30 in the morning and hopefully get an emergancy appointment but you never get one of those because those appointments are taken my people turning up at the surgery for appointments. I cant turn up because that time of morning I physically am unable to.
    It is getting me down today because I feel like I am going in circles.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    bailey27 wrote:
    Hi,
    No i was given diclofenac to be taken 3 times a day but nothing else. The pain was getting wrose last week so the GP gave me Tramadol tablets but my stomach cant take it now which means my hips and back are in agony.
    There are no appointments at all at my surgery til next week with any doctor. The only option I have is to phone up 8.30 in the morning and hopefully get an emergancy appointment but you never get one of those because those appointments are taken my people turning up at the surgery for appointments. I cant turn up because that time of morning I physically am unable to.
    It is getting me down today because I feel like I am going in circles.

Hi

Would you be able to get a little officious with the receptionist at your surgery and say that you only need for a doctor to write a script for you to take with diclo as it is affecting you. Lay it on, sound like you really know what you are talking about, I do not wish to alarm you but it can cause ulcers. Tell her that. If you sound as if you know what you are talking about perhaps they will be courteous enough to give you an appointment that you can manage to get to.

I think the name is Omeprazole (look it up on the net). Perhaps someone else will answer your query soon.

I sincerely hope so and that you get the help you need, fast.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I agree, you really should try and get an appointment as soon as possible with your GP or even a phone call. This is a good medication but it can have very nasty side effects and I don't want to frighten you, but even if the tummy settles see the doctor before going back to the medication. Feel better soon, Love Sue
  • bailey27
    Options
    Thanks, I will thanks. I'll give the receptionist a call now. I would have thought they would automatically have given me the other tabs as I had a stomach ulcer 2 years ago.

Is there any suggestions to ease the muscle spasms? It must be linked to the arthritis but cannot control it, I think it may be where I am not walking properly on the left hip and so the right side of my back may be compensating for it!? it is soooo frustrating.
    I have tried just laying on the bed which does ease it a little but I can't do that all day.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you. xxx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Taking a bit of a stab in the dark with the spasms:

Heat pads can help and are quite relaxing. Use heat for 20 to 30 minutes at a time. Ice packs and massages may also give relief.

When sleeping, lie on your side with your knees bent. You may like to put a pillow under your head to support your neck. You may also put a pillow between your knees.

If you prefer to sleep on your back, put pillows under your knees and a small pillow under your lower back. Don't sleep on your stomach unless you put a pillow under your hips.

Use a firm mattress if possible.

When sitting use, if possible, chairs with straight backs or low-back support. Keep your knees a little higher than your hips. Adjust the seat or use a low stool to prop your feet on. Turn by moving your whole body rather than by twisting at your waist.

Perhaps some of these suggestions may help to make you more comfortable.

Elna

• elnafinn
    Options
    Physio therapy may help but you probably do not wish to wait weeks to be referred.

I believe you can be prescribed muscle relaxants which take the spasms away but probably do not take away the pain.

Elna

• bailey27
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help. I will definately try these suggestions starting now!!!! lol thank you.
    What would we do without the internet esp this site!!!!!
  • elnafinn
    Options
    :lol::lol: I agree. However did we/they manage :D:lol::lol:

Best wishes
    Elna

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hello Bailey
    I am sorry that you are having such pain at the moment. I have taken Diclofenac for 18 months and was prescribed Omeprazole also to protect my stomach. I don't think you should have been given one without the other.

At my surgery no-one is allowed to make an appointment by turning up there. Everyone has to ring ,and if you need to be seen on that day, you have to speak to the triage nurse who decides whether you are seen by a doctor or a nurse.

I haven't heard of anyone being turned away if they are in pain and need to see a doctor immediately. Perhaps you need to stress more forcefully that you are in pain and need urgent help. I don't think it is acceptable to turn you away when in pain.
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    edited 18. Mar 2009, 14:43
    Options
    Hi, I too have taken diclofenac (for a bad back) for 18 months with no problems at all.

However, after reading on here of some folk taking a stomach protector with it I asked my pharmacist about it. He said in his wide experience some gp's prescribed it but just as many didn't. He said really the only things to 'watch out' for were indigestion and dark stools...... in which case tell the gp.

(Joan, I don't think its a case of right or wrong by the gp :shock: They presumably make an informed decision based on the particulars of the patient they are dealing with on whether/when to prescribe the stomach protector :?: )

Now my rheumy wants me to stay on the diclofenac long term to help with the RA, and based on his judgement of my case he has now prescribed me a stomach protector.

Hope you feel better soon and you get the problem sorted :)

Jackie x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I was prescribed diclo without any stomach protector and got on well with it for 2 years and then problems started. My GP took me off it and prescribed another med which is fine.

As you say gp's have different ideas about meds.

Elna

• bailey27
    Options
    Thats great thank you.
    Yes, unfortunately the rules at my GP surgery are unusual. You have to book by 8.30, the receptionists are not the friendliest of people and quite often say to 'try again tomorow'!
    I dont know whether this is a Welsh thing, I suppose the free prescriptions make up for it!?!??
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Bailey, I have awful spasms in my back too but I take Diazepam for this, it really works wonders, my back just starts to soften and it has a knock on effect on the other pain too. I always have bad days especially with the sciatica when my muscles are in spasm. I'd try and get an appointment sooner, I know how painful this is and would not wait a week.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Is your GP close enough to call in? If yes try writing to him/her explain what's happened and remind them about your stomach ulcer. Ask if you can have a prescription for something to safegaurd your stomach and say you will make an appointment. Drop the letter in and you might be able to pick prescription up on Friday. I've done this with my Dr. quite a few times.

Good luck
    Vonski
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi, thanks for that I'll certainly give it a try - to be honest I'll try anything so will give that a go tomorrow if I still have it. It has calmed down a little tonihgt but I think that may be because I gave in to the tramadol and diclofenac. I am almost certain I will have a bad belly tonight and in the morning though, but as some may be aware anything is better than those spasms.
    I cant believe sometimes how bad arthritis can debilitate you. One day I am fine and jogging, going to the gym, them all of a sudden it flares up.
    I appreciate all your help, thank you very much. When I learn a bit more aboutthis illness I will certainly do my bit and contribute more if possible to your problems and queries.
    Thanks again! x
  • vonski
    Options
    Hi Bailey

I think spams can be worse the the arthritis sometimes, everything sets them off :roll: I know it's muscles and I should relax but no chance of that :) Let me know if you get any joy from your GP, you really need the stomach liners.
    Hope you have a better nights sleep.
    Vonski
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi,
    Today feeling a lot better. Actually I feel fab. I am still going to take an appoinment next week as no doubt it may come back by then.
    Hopefully I wont get these spasms again any time soon it sapped all my energy.
    Feeling a lot better now, dont know how but I wont grumble.
  • vonski
    Options
    Hi Bailey
    Glad you are feeling better today :) Good idea to take an appointment and get checked over.
    Vonski
  • Jeannie
    Jeannie Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi Bailey,
    I took Emeprazole for some time and then they stepped it up to Esomeprazole (which is stronger). Have just had a scan on my tum ... because of another med. and all is OK. The Brand name is Nexium. Comes in 20mg and 40mg. Vonski's right ... you need to protect you tum.
    Jeannie S
  • weerosie
    weerosie Member Posts: 22
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain. My doc has given me Lansoprazole to help protect my stomach against the evil effects of Diclo. It really works wonders.

My Gp is amazing and she always tells me that if I am in pain, just to demand to speak to her...or in the worst case scenario to go to A&E. She has given me a copy of all my referal letters, to try and fast track me through the A&E system should it come to it.

I guess I'm one f the lucky ones.

I hope you get sorted soon. x :?
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi, thanks everyone for your help.
    The spasms have died off now, not sure what caused it. I just have muscle tightness where they were happening which I think is as a result of the spasms.
    It just goes to show when you think you are on top of the arhtirtis it will find another way to show up!
    Thanks again for your help
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Hi
    spasms are horrendous.
    Have you tried naproxen instead of diclofenac which i find more effective, not get rid of pain totally though.
    Although post above gives another suggestion which sounds much better to relax the muscles.
    Have you any walk in centres to collect a prescription or can you just keep ringgin gp and hope for a cancellation.good luck
  • bailey27
    Options
    The spasms seem to have disappeared for now thank goodness!

It is one thing after another though as I dislocated my big toe last night and spent the evening in A + E.

lol

If you dont laugh you cry!!!!!!!!!!
  • vonski
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Hmm Friday night in A & E how lucky was that, hope you were drunk too :lol: Hope it feels better soon.

Love
    Vonski x