Contractures and RA

Options
debatat
debatat Member Posts: 659
edited 23. Mar 2009, 17:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, me again!! :lol:

I forgot to mention in my other post, the rheumy said today I have a contracture (?) in my hand and it is common in RA. That is why I have the lump in my palm which is a soft tissue swelling?

Does anyone know anymore about this? Will the steroids help with this as well?

Would be grateful for any info as I am very new to arthritis and the problems it causes, although I am still shocked at the damage it can do in such a short space of time :shock:

Thanks again

Deb

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It is called Dupuytren contracture and initially may cause only a minor painless lump in the palm of the hand near the base of the finger(s). The ring finger, is mostly affected but it can affect any and all fingers and can also affect one or both hands.

As it progresses, it can lead to an inability to fully extend the affected finger(s) from the flexed position. This can result in a loss of normal grasping.

Dupuytren contracture is seldom associated with much pain unless the affected fingers are inadvertently forcefully hyperextended.

Hope this helps.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    mmm, I have this on my left hand.

My ring finger bends towards the palm, and if you follow it down to the palm there is a lump. The lmp was initially very painful, as was the finger if I moved it! However the pain has gone, and some days the finger is more bent than others!

Also have noticed a similar lump beginning on palm at base of index finger :(

Saw my rheumy the other day and he said it is Tendonitis. Is that the same thing as the Duprey thingy or something different?

Anyway, whatever its called its another damned nuisance :!:

Jackie x
  • debatat
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for the info elna I will look into that. It doesn't sound very nice tho :( Is it common in RA?

Jackie, what you are describing sounds the same, my lump is at base of ring finger, when it first came up it was tender but know doesn't hurt unless you catch it :shock: ouch!! My fingers are curling or clawing but also get locked and stiffen with the Ra so hard to know which is which really. What treatment are you on for yours Jackie? Did he suggest anything to help?

Deb
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    quote="debatat"]Hi

Thanks for the info elna I will look into that. It doesn't sound very nice tho :( Is it common in RA?

Hi debatat

Not sure but it can be hereditory and people with diabetes can be prone to getting this. Injury to the hand may trigger it too.

More men get it than women.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • debatat
    Options
    people with diabetes can be prone to getting this

Elna

Thats interesting because the consultant was quizzing me about my diabetes. Thats why he is writing to my gp because he wants them to keep an eye on my diabetes while on steroids, I wonder if it is all linked?

Thanks for info

Deb
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi Deb,

The rheumy didn't say he was giving me anything specifically for the Tendonitis...... but i am starting on Methotrexate in 3 weeks so don't know if that will help it or not.

He said he'd send me an appointment to see an Occupational Therapist to get some exercises for my hands/fingers to "get them moving" and loosen them up (my fingers on both hands are stiff and swollen with the RA).

Jackie x
  • Jeannie
    Jeannie Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi Deb,
    This contracture with both hands was the first thing I had, besides the soles of my feet being sore. I had to wrap my hands in very hot towels in the mornings and force my fingers to open. As people have said my ring fingers are now the worst affected. The only thing they did was give me night splints - visiting the bathroom in the night was a panto! and my husband fled to the spare bedroom because I used to clobber him with them everytime I turned over. The clawing is not so bad nowadays but it has displaced a couple of knuckles down towards the palm of my hand.
    Jeannie S
  • debatat
    Options
    Jackie, I hope the mtx and occ therapist help you. Let me know how you get on.

Jeannie, sounds as though you have had a rough time. Can I ask you, the soles of my feet are very sore, and sometimes swollen is it connected?

Deb
  • jackie1955
    Options
    debatat wrote:
    Jackie, I hope the mtx and occ therapist help you. Let me know how you get on.

Jeannie, sounds as though you have had a rough time. Can I ask you, the soles of my feet are very sore, and sometimes swollen is it connected?

Deb

Hi Deb, Just noticed Jeannie hasn't answered yet, so I'll jump in and say I too have sore feet which sometimes swell. In fact that was one of my first symptons last summer :!: All part and parcel of the RA I'm afraid :(

Jackie x
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi Deb,
    Have had a 'duvet' day today, so I've only just seen your post. Yes, I think the sore feet are all part of Arthur. This symptom went away but was replaced by other things. I never know which bit it going to hurt next. If I decide to iron in the morning, you can bet your life my hands play up, etc. Something like my husband deciding to mow the lawn after breakfast and ... down comes the rain. It's all designed to drive us potty .... don't let it.
    My duvet day was my own fault ... I forgot to take my pills this morning!!! How stupid :oops:
    Hope you're having an easier time now.
    Will be back on the site when I've had my 'fixes' tomorrow. You realise HE will nag me all morning now.
    Nite nite
    Jeannie S