funny looking thumb

Options
mash65
mash65 Bots Posts: 834
edited 19. Mar 2009, 11:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
this may seem abit strange.
ive got oa in my hands among all the other joints.
my thumb its self is not swollen but the base is,from the base of thumb to just above the wrist.
it looks strange because from the base of the thumb down to wrist
it looks like a rectanglular shape swelling & its very visable.
its as u look from finger nail down.it just looks like a rectangle,slim in shape.
im starting to get other very little nobbles appearing on my knuckles & finger joints(not very visable but i can see them )
is this strange or normal?
is this part of the disfiguring part of oa in the hands?
the thumbs no more painful than usual & its my r/hand which is the worry as im r/handed.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yep, I have a funny looking (osteo arthritis thumb at the base near the wrist. A few years ago I asked a (hand consultant) if it would get any worse and he said it is already as bad as it can get.

I do get pain in my thumbs every so often, the base of my thumb looks horrid and the thumb is sort of turning more towards the hand than it should do, when I stretch it out. I have no trouble gripping and holding things but I have lost strength ie opening jars etc.

Happy days!

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    I loved the heading funny looking thumb, thats what my family call mine. Mine started becoming a joke when I tried to give my son a thumbs up when he'd scored a good goal at roller hockey. To my horror it wouldn't stick up - it has since started to point towards my other hand as well. My consultant is curently trying me with a thumb splint which is helping abit I go back next week for them to check on its progress, It just made me chuckle that I'm not on my own.

debs
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi
    I'v got OA in my hands and I've got funny nobbly bits on some of my knuckles, which seem to be getting bigger! :shock: I get quite a bit of pain a the base of by thumbs too. My left hand especially, although I am right handed. Love Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    My left thumb is affectionately called the slug - it looks just like one and acts like one but fortunately doesn't leave a slimy trail :? :shock: :wink:

Luv Legs :lol:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    hi,thanks for the replies.
    good job we all have a sense of humour with ur funny looking bits.
    im glad ive got u lot,as i keep saying to my o/h ''oh look that dont look right'' & ''its it me or is that swollen'' im sure he thinks im falling to pieces. :lol: debsx